Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 31: 7/26 - 8/2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nadine (last edited Aug 02, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
Happy Thursday from the beach, where the weather forecast has literally been changing hourly!

Admin stuff

I'm keeping it minimal because I'm away from my computer. It's AUGUST (goodness where did July go?) and this month's optional group read is The Night Circus (for "twins"), and Kenya has volunteered to lead the discussion. Happy reading!

This week I finished 4 books, and I am now 49/50.
Hawkeye, Volume 5: All-New Hawkeye written by Jeff Lemire - this was okay.
It Happened on Love Street by Lia Riley - also okay. Fulfilled "song lyrics in title."
The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander- short, weird, and powerful.
Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - so much fun!

Question of the Week:

Do you like to read books that are sad or devastating and/or make you cry?

I do not! I will actively avoid a book if I think it's going to be sad and/or heart-breaking. I'm ok with a deep emotional impact (Moxyland), but I won't be reading the Kleenex Special (The Fault in Our Stars). I've been giving A Little Life some serious side-eye, because it gets great reviews (so I want to read it) but reviews say it is devastating (so I do not want to read it).

But I know that for some readers, being wrecked by a book is considered a good thing! Recommend a few, if this is a thing you like!

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Hello from Columbus! I only finished one this week, we’ve been busy and I’ve been splitting my time between books and podcasts.

Little Beach Street Bakery cutesy beach read, I’m most definitely interested in reading the next book in the series.
Sorry I’m exhausted and that’s all I have to say about it lol

Qotw: Yes, I’m a glutton for punishment and I tend to be drawn to sad or somber books. I am resentful of books that are just all sad. Where nothing good happens, like A Little Life. I get why it’s great but what the heck man.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 705 comments It's been a frustrating week for me. Something has gone wrong every day. I thought today would be different because four days in a row seems excessively unlucky, right? Well, the A/C isn't on at work.

Finished
Nightfall (time of day in the title) - It was okay, but not my favorite in the series. This is a tie-in novel for Stargate Atlantis, so the focus should be on, you know, Stargate Atlantis. I think this author gets a little wrapped up in his own world-building and characters. I'm sure his original novels are inventive, but I'm not reading this for this original content.

Spinning Silver (a book about a villain or antihero) - Wow! I loved this book so much!! Rumpelstiltskin is my favorite fairy tale. The author distilled down his many qualities and spread them around an incredible cast of characters. I could gush about this book all day.

Reading
The Death of Mrs. Westaway - Still working on this audiobook. I have about 6 hours left.

Record of a Spaceborn Few - I finally got to start the book I've been waiting for all year!!

QOTW
No, thank you! My least favorite Popsugar prompt ever was "a book that makes you cry."

message 4: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Aug 02, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments The beach, so jealous. Summer sun has been MIA in Scotland for the past few weeks, hiding behind muggy grey clouds. Sweaty and close...urgh.

I feel like I got my reading appetite back this week, even though I still only finished my usual one book! Still, keeping ahead of schedule and loving the challenge. 35/50 (33/40 & 2/10).

I read The Thirteenth Tale for prompt #38 set in a bookshop, which not only has a bookshop setting at times, but is about an author and talks a lot about the power of words and books. Ticking this prompt off like a pro. It hooked me in from the very start and I couldn't stop reading it. When I wasn't reading it I was thinking about when I next could. The writing absolutely captivated me, and I completely submerged myself in the dysfunctional world of the Angelfield family and their damaged tangle of relationships. I felt for the characters, and desperately wanted to know the truth hidden under the burnt mess of their story. No book is without its flaws, and I could have lived without the neat ending, but honestly this book could have ended with "...and it was all a dream..." and I'd have still loved it.
L O V E D I T

Oh yes! They may be my favourite books. Though I do prefer it if there is a thread of hope or even a happy ending involved (though I don't mind a sad ending either, as long as there is an uplifting element to the story). I just love books that make me feel deeply, I think that's what elevates a book to my favourites shelf. I know you can feel happiness deeply, but that never feels as authentic as it does to relate to someone else's heartbreak and devastation...maybe that's just me, and says a lot about my mental health! But yeah, I don't shy away from upsetting books.

message 5: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 615 comments Been a busy week, but still managed to get some reading done.

Prudence -- I love the author's "Parasol Protectorate" series, but this book, the first of a sequel series featuring the "Parasol" characters' children, was disappointing. Don't think I'll be continuing.

The Illustrated Man -- A showcase of some of Ray Bradbury's earlier work. Some truly chilling stuff here, though I felt it could have done without the framing device.

The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain -- A prequel story collection to "The Chronicles of Prydain," and a nice send-off to a new favorite series.

Currently Reading:

Abhorsen
Of Cinder and Bone
And of course, the Lovecraft collection...

QOTW:

I do not set out to be deliberately traumatized by a book, and approach books well-known or rumored to be sad with extreme caution. I don't like to be emotionally devastated by my literature, thank you very much...

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments A light reading week again for me, since I just finished a couple of manga volumes and a YA book, but I did also make some progress on some of my non-fiction books. I've just been having an energy slump, so have been mostly reaching for the lighter stuff when I do have time to read. I'm hoping for more reading time this weekend, since we currently have nothing scheduled for Friday evening or Saturday.

Finished Reading:
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 20, Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 21, Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 22 The story continues to be fun and sometimes even inspiring, the art continues to occasionally be weird and even slightly disturbing.

The Summoning This is one of the few creepy books with a good enough story that I liked it despite the creepiness. I already put the next book in the series on hold at the library--hopefully binge reading the series won't keep me from ever being able to go down in the basement again... I would probably count this toward the mental health prompt if I hadn't already filled that several times over.

Currently Reading:
How the Irish Saved Civilization Finally got past the part that's focused on Rome and have been reading the part about St Patrick, which is quite interesting. Reading for book set in a country that fascinates me. Also downloaded a free Kindle version of The Táin: From the Irish epic Táin Bó Cúailnge which was mentioned in the book as being kind of the Irish equivalent of the Illiad or the Odyssey.

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future This is one of those books that has interesting information, but I'm never excited to start up and see what happens next.

Artemis We've been so close to being done with this audio book for weeks, but we're finally making progress again, which is good, because I've been wanting to know what happens. Reading this for heist book.

There are various other books I'm still technically reading but didn't make progress on in the past week.

QOTW:
As a general rule, I want my fun reading to be mostly escapist, and inspire me with pictures of the way the world should be. I mean, I still like dystopian novels, so it's not like the whole world has to be right in the books I read, but the good guys should be really good, and be able to actually make the world a better place, even if it's just in a small way.

It's a little different if I'm reading something for educational purposes, but I usually go for non-fiction for that, and still appreciate notes of hope even if it's about a terrible/sad situation.

That said, every once in a great while I'll run across a sad book that's so well done I love it anyway. I'll probably eventually end up trying The Fault in Our Stars to find out if it's one of those or not...

message 7: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1080 comments So many books read this week. I had an extra day off because there was a rail strike and I just thought it would be easier to stay at home and gets some things done. I also did the Dewey's summer readathon on Saturday so that was most of my productivity!

Finished:
The Diviners by Libba Bray
Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
Run, Riot by Nikesh Shukla
Angelic, Vol. 1: Heirs & Graces by Simon Spurrier
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, Vol. 1
My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel by Kitty Curran & Larissa Zageris

None of these work for the challenge though.

I'm currently listening to After the Fire for the celeb book club prompt and currently reading The Bumblebee Flies Anyway: Gardening and Surviving Against the Odds for Read Harder's book about nature.

33/50 | 70/100

QOTW:
I love an emotional book and don't mind a good cry over a beloved character but I don't like novels that are just relentlessly depressing. I need some hope!

Some books that made me cry include Me Before You, Lily and the Octopus, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and One.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 164 comments Happy August! It's been an eventful week over here. My kids started school on Monday and I went back to work yesterday (I'm a teacher). But the biggest news of all is that I finished the Popsugar Challenge!! I still can't believe it too because when I started I was sure it would take all year. This challenge and this group has COMPLETELY changed my reading life and I'm so grateful.

Finished
Animal Dreams (ugly cover) The moment I saw this prompt I knew I had to read this book. My mom loves Barbara Kingsolver and has been trying to get me to read it for over a decade, but the cover is SO BAD that I thought it had to be dreadfully boring. I grew up and live in the Southwest and I've just never been in to Southwestern art. Well, I read it. And it is phenomenal. Go figure. I still think the cover is horrible though.
Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver

The Lightning Thief (weather element in title) I finally read my first Percy Jackson book! It didn't change my life but I did enjoy this fun and fast-paced story.

Life of Pi (book set at sea) What a brutal journey this book took me on. I don't think I've ever read anything like it.

The Time Machine (time travel) I had a hard time with this prompt. First I read The Winter Sea, but I read the whole thing and there was no actual time travel. Then I started The Eyre Affair but I just couldn't get into it. Finally I decided that I'd listen to this classic because it was short and I could get through it in three hours while I organized and cleaned the house. I enjoyed it.

Currently Reading
What We Were Promised
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
How to Be a Victorian

QOTW
I love sad books that make me cry! All of my favorite books ever are sad. However, I only like sad books that have hope. Sad books with all despair and no hope are not for me (i'm looking at you The Book of Ruth).

message 9: by Heather (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Good morning! It's hot and rainy and I'm almost to a vacation. So obviously I have just been reading romance novels and finishing some books in progress to tick challenge boxes...

I'm at 32/50 (better get moving...)

Finished:
Kindred for time travel (OMG this was GREAT). Can anyone recommend more Octavia Butler? I am not a science fiction reader so I have no clue what's good.

A Million Worlds with You for cyberpunk (if you squint it totally works). Glad to have finished this trilogy, finally! Maybe I do like science fiction...

Lovestruck in London (another free Kindle romance I picked up recently... so much better than the first one of them I picked up).

An Affair with a Spare (FINALLY the library got it)! I love this series so, so much and binged this book in one day.

The Kiss Quotient, which people kept hyping so I caved and picked it up (it was my Book of the Month for June, I think). It was so different and refreshing! I'm glad a romance novel with diverse characters AND a heroine who isn't neurotypical is getting mainstream love.

Currently reading:
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue because it's been on my Kindle for months and it ticks a box for another reading challenge. It's emotional and adventurous, heartbreaking and funny. Loving it so far!

QOTW: I think "enjoy" is the wrong word but I do not mind a book that wrecks me and often they are some of my 5-star reads. Off the top of my head, I have recently sobbed through the end of: The Keeper of Lost Things, The Heart's Invisible Furies, Us Against You and The Nightingale.

message 10: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Hello all! I made some progress this week. I finished 4 books this week, 2 for popsugar, bringing my total to 47/52

Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 4: The Wrath by John Layman
Batman: Detective Comics, Volume 5: Gothtopia by John Layman
Neither comic for the challenge. Both enjoyable.
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis for Allegory. Read this aloud to my kid. There are some slow parts with just talking during which he got a bit bored. He loved the beginning though.
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire on audio for Stage play or musical. I did not care for this. I really really wanted to but it was not to be. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Working on:
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. This is really good. I'm reading it with a friend and we take our time getting through it so we've been working on this for months.
The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket- audio with son
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern for the group read. Really liking it so far!
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Also really enjoying this!
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow- audio, for Cyberpunk. Not sure how I feel about this one. I'll need to see how it ends and gather my thoughts.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis- aloud to son

QOTW:
I do not seek out books that "will" make me cry. Although, to be honest, I am not really a crier. One book has made me full-out cry: Big Little Lies, but probably only because some of the events hit way too close to home. I finished the book and bawled.
There are sections of certain books that evoke heartbreak, or possibly even a tear or two. Nightingale (view spoiler), Year of Wonders (view spoiler). Beartown even got to me a little and I kept having to put that down and breathe because the whole theme of (view spoiler) Are you sensing a theme of what gets to me here?

message 11: by Sheri (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Sheri | 725 comments Hi everyone!

Thursday snuck up on me again.

This week I finished:

The Three-Body Problem - I liked this, I might eventually read the rest of the trilogy. It was my Read Harder book of genre fiction in translation. Original language was Chinese.

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer - Read Harder book you hated or didn't finish in school. Guess what? still hated it it, wish I didn't finish. At least it was short.

Currently reading: The Surgeon - For ATY's medical thriller. Not very far yet, although I'm a little confused how it's Rizzoli and Isles #1, yet the perspective character is neither Rizzoli or Isles. Hopefully that changes soon.

Still sitting at 49/50 on popusgar, STILL #5 on the holds list. I think it's because overdrive doesn't really have a way to return audio books early, and recently extended hteir check out window to 21 days if you wanted. So it'll probably be another 4 months before i get it, unless someone cancels their hold or misses their window :( Might need to check out physical library and get it sent from another branch, probably faster at this point.

at 23/25 for Read harder, one of them also being true crime so waiting for the same book as popsugar.

42/52 for ATY

Getting so close!

Ooops forgot QOTW:

I don't go out of my way to read depressing books. Sometimes it happens, for challenge reading or otherwise, and sometimes I even enjoy them.But overall I prefer reading to be escapism, and I like a good happy ending, or at least something uplifting and hopeful. I will 100% avoid something that I think will just be sad for the sake of being sad, or the sort of thing that is just designed to make people cry.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 182 comments Hi All,

Just finished one book this week Lincoln in the Bardo which I listened to as an audiobook. I really loved the style that this book was written in. I have absolutely no idea how they formatted it in the print version but totally get why people said it was confusing. I thought it was such a unique way to write a book though and adored all the different voice actors. It didn't take me long to figure out what was going on with all the different excerpts and I really recommend the audio version to anyone who might have found the print version confusing.

That being said I did find the overall plotline a little Meh. I'd really love to read another story with perhaps a little more exciting plotline but written in the same style.

QOTW:

I generally don't seek out books where the whole plotline is based on something depressing and where all the action has a similar sad theme but I do like the occasional scene that makes me cry. I especially like when it happens in a short period. If an author can make me cry in the first 20 pages I'm pretty impressed. Bravo to them for getting me emotionally and emphatically connected to a character in such a short time. Other than that if the book is overall good and the ending is sad I'm fine with that too (think Where the Red Fern Grows).

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane  Lupton | 136 comments Hello!

This week I have finally gotten my booty back on the treadmill and finished the audio version of Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery. Next up will be I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced. I decided not to count audiobooks on my list of prompts because I will only listen to biography type books. I don't want to have to keep up with storylines if I don't get on the treadmill for awhile.

I have less than 100 pages left in The Cuckoo's Calling which I will use for a female author who uses a male pseudonym. I don't know what I will read next until I look at the list of prompts again when I'm done. This will bring me to 27/50 for the challenge and 29/50 (including my 2 audiobooks) for my personal challenge.

With the Sharp Objects tv show starting, does anyone know if this fits a prompt? I'm dying to read it before I watch the show but I would prefer it to fit a prompt too.

QOTW
I don't seek out sad books but I don't mind reading them as long as I feel the connection to the characters. I usually rate them higher because they brought out some emotional connection I don't get from other books.

message 14: by Hope (new)

Hope Read/finished 4 books (well, two were more like novellas) this week- two for the challenge and two not.

Binti (Celebrity Book Club- Felicia Day's Vaginal Book Club)- It was ok but I agree with a lot of the 3 star reviews who are quite surprised at how quickly the characters forgot and forgave a critical event. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it were longer and more developed.

A Princess of Mars (A book set on a different planet)- A bit boring for me as John Carter is too Gary Stu for my tastes, and a lot of telling-not-showing. I'll probably watch the movie, though.

Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman's Awakening- I enjoy reading memoirs from people whose lives are so different than mine, and am always surprised when I find that the small details aren't so different after all! A great read and I'm happy to know that the driving ban at least has been lifted in Saudi Arabia.

The Bat- I'd quit this earlier in the year as the characters keep going off on long winded aboriginal myths, but I decided to finish it as reviews claim the later books get better. It was ok but I think Harry was a bit overdramatic in reacting to (view spoiler)

QOTW
The only sad books I'll read are classic tragedies, and that's because I know going in they are tragedies!. I love books like Hamlet, Anna Karenina, Frankenstein, since the characters earn their own fate. I don't like books like The Fault in Our Stars or Me Before You when sad things happen to characters through no fault of their own.

message 15: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 689 comments 4 books this week, which is quite good considering I spent a considerable amount of time with a classic.

The Vegetarian - prompts: Reading Women Challenge #1 "a book by a woman in translation", Summer Reading Challenge "You Have a Funny Accent" (translated book) - This was... hmm. Unpleasant and extremely weird, but worthwhile. There were some particularly beautiful scenes, I just wish they hadn't been wrapped up in ~100 pages of "I hate my wife" and "I'm creepily into my sister-in-law and her birthmark" (from the first two PoV characters, respectively). The last third - from the PoV of the titular vegetarian's sister - was much better.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - prompts: Popsugar #18 "a book by two authors", Read Harder #1 "a book published posthumously", Reading Women Challenge #17 "a book with a food item in the title, Summer Reading Challenge "Stranded" (set on an island / in which the characters get stranded) - I think this is what people call a "fluff" book. It was cute and well-written, and I liked the subplot about Elizabeth's fate - it gave a bit of gravity to the story to balance out the twee-ness. It was a very fun thing to buzz through in an afternoon and I'm looking forward to seeing the film adaptation sometime but I'm unlikely to reread.

Carniepunk: Daughter of the Midway, the Mermaid, and the Open, Lonely Sea - prompts: Reading Women Challenge #3 "a book set in the American South", Summer Reading Challenge "Listen to Me" (an audiobook) - My first audiobook! I found it a little more difficult to follow than I do with print but this was still enjoyable. I liked the idea of... slow-acting mermaidism and progressive transformation, losing your human self as you become something else. Always a concept I've enjoyed.

The Well of Loneliness - prompts: Popsugar #38, "a book with an ugly cover" - This was a great read, both as an individual novel and from an LGBTQ+ history perspective. Granted, as the excellent introduction points out (which I read post-book) it tells its story from the very privileged perspective of an English aristocrat and can be quite bigoted at times, but honestly, it's a big deal to even have a tangible reminder that yeah, gay people didn't just spring out of the woodwork a few decades ago, it's not a "trend", this is humanity, this is history, it has always existed. It may only be 90 years old but it's a talisman against erasure. (That I wish wasn't necessary, but the world is unkind.)

QOTW: Do you like to read books that are sad or devastating and/or make you cry?
I've never been able to cry at a book. Lump in the throat, yes, but I don't tend to cry at sad things, I cry in frustration and/or anger.
That said, yes, I do like books that are emotionally punchy. Not manipulative ones, though. If the author is transparently trying to make the audience cry, I'm out. And I LOATHE "misery memoirs" with a passion, but I won't get into that.

Heather wrote: "Kindred for time travel (OMG this was GREAT). Can anyone recommend more Octavia Butler? I am not a science fiction reader so I have no clue what's good."

Parable of the Sower!!!

message 16: by Ali (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Hi all! This week I was going through the challenge and realized I missed one that I had finished - Saga, Vol. 3 counts for a book set on a different planet. So though I read it awhile back, I realized I was a challenge ahead!

I finished two books this week. First was a reread of To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han, which didn't count for a challenge. I am so hype for the film adaptation that comes out in less than three weeks, so I really wanted to reread the whole trilogy. I adore this series, it's just like biting into a warm chocolate chip cookie.

Then, I finished The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy and Carey Pietsch, which I counted for a book by two authors. Technically, Griffin, Justin, and Travis McElroy are all coauthors, and I thought this challenge was two or more... but I'm still counting it! I'm obsessed with the podcast this graphic novel is based on, so I was so happy to read this. I highly recommend checking this and the Adventure Zone podcast out!

QOTW: I love books that make me cry. I'm a sucker for a good emotional book I can sob over. It's really cathartic for me. The most recent book to make me cry was We Are Okay. I didn't sob, but I teared up a lot (a great pick for a book about death or grief). I don't like purposefully seek out books that will make me cry, but if it's really good storytelling, I'm in! However, I don't like when books make me really anxious. Recently, I would count The Handmaid's Tale and An Untamed State which got me so worked up, that I was really anxious the next day. I deal with a lot of anxiety issues in general, so that makes my reading experience really unpleasant.

message 17: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments Hello all! I have already finished two books this week, and I'm close to finishing two others, so it's been a pretty good reading week for me. I'm at 32/52 now.
Finished: Beartown (sport) and Heirs and Graces (twins). I already mentioned how I feel about Beartown last week, so no need to bring that up again. Heirs and Graces was no better written than Beartown, but it's comfortably in the cozy mystery genre and doesn't try to do anything more ambitious, so it was a lot easier for me to get into. That said, it's probably the weakest book in the series so far. I'll keep reading, though, because I like Georgie so much.

Currently reading: The Terror (set at sea) Stillllll reading this one. When will it end? Never. Never is the answer.
We Have Always Lived in the Castle (ugly cover) I'm loving this audiobook. Can't do better than Shirley Jackson for slowly ratcheting up the tension and uncanny feelings.

Next up: The Poisonwood Bible (so excited! I've been wanting to read this for ages) and Snowblind (hoping I'll like Nordic noir more than I expect to)

QOTW: I don't read tear-jerkers, but I do like difficult books. I loooove Solzhenitsyn, and his books tend to be set in prisons from which people have no hope of escape, but they're trying to make an important social and political point, not just make me feel sad. Same thing with A Fine Balance and One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway--both of the books affected me so deeply I had trouble eating while I was reading them, but I was grateful for them at the same time for being so thought-provoking.

message 18: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Hello,

I am still in vacation and didn't read a lot. I finished only one book and unfortunatly, it wasn't a good one:

Let the Right One In. I didn't care for that one past the quarter of the book. I have to say that I like the idea of the book, just not the whole story.

I am reading now: The Lies of Locke Lamora. I like how it started, but I can't find time to read more that 15 minutes at a time.

QOTW: I do not try to read sad books, but when it happens I don't mind. I remember trying to hide my tears in the train while reading The Nightingale. I rarely cry when watching a movie, but books got me. One of the last that touch me was The Remains of the Day

message 19: by Anne (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 200 comments This week has been fairly calm until yesterday when my eighteen year old daughter got in two car accidents within half an hour. The first was just a little parking lot fender bender, but she'd never been in an accident before and was really upset. Her boyfriend came to drive her where she needed to be because she was upset and a lady didn't yield when she was turning left and hit the kiddos. Everyone is fine. The car is a mess, starting at the driver's side door and working its way back, but that is small stuff.

I read six books this week. I am back to reading for my youth committee so many of them are quick reads. I read:
A Gentleman in Moscow- I really liked this book. My sister-in-law told me she had been "charmed" by the book and I totally agree.
Knock Out by K.A. Holt- which is not coming up in the book search. It was a quick book in verse about a boy who wants to box. It was well done and goes with her book House Arrest. I am not into boxing and thought that I wouldn't enjoy the book but found that boxing really has very little to do with the story. It is a story about growing up with an overprotective mom and brother.
Children of Blood and Bone- I was so excited for this book, but I was a little disappointed. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I just felt like it dragged a little in some places. If I hadn't heard all the hype before hand I think I would have liked the book more.
I Know What You Did Last Summer- this is a couple hour read and I think it is hysterical that they turned this book into a horror movie because the book is not that way at all. I can't say I'll be recommending it though. The writing is really clunky.
How We Roll- I really liked this book. So many hard things for a ninth grader, but the book is optimistic. I would recommend this to young people.
Truly Devious- again, I was disappointed. I didn't love the voice and the ending was really loosey goosey. There is no clearly stated motive for the modern day murder and the solution to the cold case that gets so much play is not given any time at all. The last line is literally "To be continued..." so you know you will get more, but really. I spent time reading this thing, lets end it. I'm good with sequels, but I do like closure.

QOTW: For the most part, I am an escapism reader, but on occasion I like books that make me cry.

Happy Reading!

message 20: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Happy Thursday everyone! It's a little rainy today which is a nice break from the heat.

Finished:

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur for a book being read by a stranger in a public place. I know Rupi’s poetry is a hit or miss for people, but I really love it. There were parts I liked more than Milk & Honey, and parts I liked less. I can’t wait to see what she comes out with next!

Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump by Dan Pfeiffer. Any friend of the pods out there? I listen to Dan every week on Pod Save America, so I loved this on audio. Just beware that the name can be a little deceiving. It is less about the Democratic party moving forward and more a memoir of his time as Senior Advisor to Obama and White House Communications Director. Politic buffs will enjoy it, fans of Dan will love it.

I wanted to get some of my quicker reads checked off my TBR, so I also finished two shorties. Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination by J.K. Rowling. This was a speech she made to the graduating class of Harvard in 2008. Very funny and very inspiring. I also read Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama. A children’s book highlighting people from America’s history who have shaped our country. Very touching.

Currently Reading:

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. I mentioned last week this is a bit of a slower read for me. Not because I’m not enjoying it, but because there are a lot of facts and names. And the subject matter doesn’t make for excellent bedtime reading.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I’ve been working on this one since January. If I weren’t so ridiculously stubborn I would have DNF’d it by now. Maybe eventually I’ll be able to share my full thoughts, but for now all I can say is I don’t necessarily care for any of the characters. And the plot feels a bit like a cheesy romance built up against its elaborate historical setting and science-fiction plot. I know there are so many fans of this series. I’m sorry!! I can’t help it.

Question of the Week:

I don't shy away from books that I know will make me cry, but certain subject matters have me shelving a book for longer than I normally would.

message 21: by Sara (last edited Aug 02, 2018 11:11AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Heather wrote: "The Kiss Quotient, which people kept hyping so I caved and picked it up (it was my Book of the Month for June, I think). It was so different and refreshing! I'm glad a romance novel with diverse characters AND a heroine who isn't neurotypical is getting mainstream love."

I'm glad you liked it, Heather! I agree with your assessment :) You might like The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory. Mixed race couple, super cute. I just finished it last week (and the audio was really well done). She has a new book coming out soon called The Proposal. Definitely adding it to my list!

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Lindi wrote: "Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I’ve been working on this one since January. If I weren’t so ridiculously stubborn I would have DNF’d it by now. Maybe eventually I’ll be able to share my full thoughts, but for now all I can say is I don’t necessarily care for any of the characters. And the plot feels a bit like a cheesy romance built up against its elaborate historical setting and science-fiction plot. I know there are so many fans of this series. I’m sorry!! I can’t help it."

It's my favorite series, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I will say, though, that the series grows tremendously over the books. The first one is the most romancy book in the series (understandable with a new relationship budding), but the love story, characters and historical setting (and yes, even the time-travel plot) deepen with time. The later books are truly historical fiction and (at least for me) the characters become like family. I can reread the first book and still feel affection for Claire, for instance, because I know what she becomes.

DNF if you aren't feeling it though! There are too many books to waste time on one that isn't working for you! :)

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Hey everyone! This week has gotten away from me, and I keep thinking it's Wednesday!

I spent a few days last week on vacation just lounging around reading. I also got to visit Parnassus in Nashville which was wonderful.

Finished reading:

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas. All the heart eyes for this book and for Rhysand!

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory. This was a cute romance. I enjoyed it and will read more from her.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - reread :)

Seven Stones to Stand or Fall - by Diana Gabaldon. This is a compilation of 7 novellas from the Outlander series. As much as I love the series, I don't really love the novellas. I'm not big on short stories and novellas in general. I really liked two of the seven. The rest were meh.

Currently reading:

A Court of Wings and Ruin - third book in the series, and I am burning through it! This week has been tough for reading so I hope to finish it this coming weekend.

At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe by Tsh Oxenreider. This is a reread. Reading her family's story of traveling the world makes me want to pack a bag and head out myself!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - another reread. It's my favorite in the series.

32/50

QOTW

Not really. Like others have said, I mostly read to escape and I prefer a more uplifting story. I do read sad books from time to time, but I don't think I have ever cried reading a book.

A Little Life was a tough read, and I had to take it in parts because it's relentless. It was probably the most emotionally draining book I've read. The Fault in Our Stars didn't do much for me. I certainly empathize with people in their situation, but the book itself just didn't connect with me emotionally. The Sea of Tranquility is a pretty strong emotional book (it's also Audible's deal of the day today 8/2). Even Where the Red Fern Grows didn't actually elicit tears (sad as it was).

I'm more likely to cry at a movie than a book - romances, mother/child issues, and worst of all - waiting for Shadow to come over the hill!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Sara wrote: "Heather wrote: "The Kiss Quotient, which people kept hyping so I caved and picked it up (it was my Book of the Month for June, I think). It was so different and refreshing! I'm glad a romance novel..."

Oh don't you worry, I own and read The Wedding Date AND have an arc of The Proposal waiting for my beach trip next weekend. I adore Jasmine Guillory! Spread the gospel!!

message 25: by Tania (new)

Tania | 472 comments I finished a few books I've been reading for a while, but none were for the challenge leaving me stead at 36/50.

Finished:
Raise Heaven and Earth: The Story of Martin Marietta People and Their Pioneering Achievements by William B. Harwood - a comprehensive look at the company and its founders through the date published (1993)

Rick Steves Italy 2018 by Rick Steves - a great travel guide and a good reference about the country, I picked it up before our summer vacation, and found myself reading about the places we didn't go to as well just to see what we wanted to do next time :-)

Sparrow Lake by Carol Beach York - this was a reread, and it always makes me cry (ironically related to this week's QOTW!)

QOTW: Yes, sometimes I like to read a book that makes me cry. I definitely don't avoid them. If a book can make me laugh out loud or sob uncontrollably, that means the author reached me on a deeper level than one I just read through quietly. A few that have mad me cry every time I read them are The Host, The Crumb, and the one I read this past week, Sparrow Lake.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Sheri wrote: "Still sitting at 49/50 on popusgar, STILL #5 on the holds list. I think it's because overdrive doesn't really have a way to return audio books early, and recently extended hteir check out window to 21 days if you wanted. "

I return audiobooks early all the time on the Overdrive Iphone app. Is it harder on Libby or their android apps?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments Heather wrote: "It's been a frustrating week for me. Something has gone wrong every day. I thought today would be different because four days in a row seems excessively unlucky, right? Well, the A/C isn't on at wo..."

I've literally just picked up Spinning Silver from the library and can't wait to start reading it.

message 28: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Sara wrote: "DNF if you aren't feeling it though! There are too many books to waste time on one that isn't working for you! :)"

I really wouldn't DNF it, because I will say I don't hate it when I'm reading it! I took a long break in January and it was hard to pick it back up again, but now it's flying by again. I've heard the show is a little more "modern" in how it portrays things so I think I might like that better!

message 29: by Kathy (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

Kathy | 129 comments SarahKat wrote: "Hello all! I made some progress this week. I finished 4 books this week, 2 for popsugar, bringing my total to 47/52

I finished Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West this week too! I agree with your review, really didn’t care for it either. The musical was much more enjoyable.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments Hi everyone. The sun is back with a vengeance today so I am feeling super sweaty lol.

This week I finished 3 books. Firstly was The Kite Runner. This one was not for me at all, but at least the "bestseller from the year you graduated" is over with.

I also finished Legendary. Getting into Tella's head instead of Scarlett's was a change and I found her much more likeable in this one. Can't wait for the final book.

Finally I finished Stars Above. It has been a few years since I read the rest of The Lunar Chronicles so I couldn't quite remember who a lot of the secondary characters were but I liked catching up with the main ones.

Currently reading: Monkey: The Journey to the West for the allegory. I find the writing style quite juvenile but I am wondering if it is just a bad translation. Literally every chapter ends with "read the next chapter to find out what happens next." Why? Why????

I also collected a huge haul from the library today but have yet to start any. I don't think I can fit any of them into the prompts I have still to complete. Spinning Silver is number one on my radar.

QOTW: I don't actively search out sad books but I do like a good weep every now and then. In fact I have a bookshelf on Goodreads for books that make me cry and they all have pretty high ratings. I guess I have to be really into the book and the characters for it to get to me.

message 31: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Kathy wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "Hello all! I made some progress this week. I finished 4 books this week, 2 for popsugar, bringing my total to 47/52

If I finished [book:Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Wi..."

I'm hoping to see the musical next year. Haven't had a chance yet.

message 32: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments Once again, I really have no idea if any of these fit my prompts I have left.

Seduction in Death by JD Robb. Still enjoyable reads but it’s the 13th book in the series and the main character mentioned that she’s been married for a year so over 1 to 2 years there have been a lot…a lot…of serial killers/mass murderers in future New York.

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey. It’s about astronauts who are doing a simulation before heading to Mars. The astronauts are isolated without contact with others. It’s told in alternating chapters (the three astronauts and family members and a worker for the company bankrolling the Mars mission). It took me a bit to get into but then I just flew through it. It was quite lovely.

Borne by Jeff VanderMeer. I didn’t love it as much as I liked the Southern Reach trilogy and it also took me a bit to get into but I really did love it by the end.

QOTW:
I don’t avoid books that I know will make me cry.
I will say the book that took me the longest to read (with the exception of Moby Dick because ugh) was A Little Life because I kept having to sit it aside because it was too emotionally devastating.

message 33: by Kathy (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Kathy | 129 comments Since last posting I finished the following for the challenge:
The Paying Guests -LGBT protagonist. It was OK. It was my first Sarah Waters and I hear Fingersmith is better. I own that one too, so I may Sarah another try.
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - stage play or musical. In this case I liked the musical a lot more than the book. But I don’t read much fantasy.
The Good Widow- 2authors. Poolside reading, but I didn’t think this was very good. Seemed like a story I’d heard before, and I liked it better the first time.
Before We Visit the Goddess- could work for the ethnicity prompt, but I had read that one, just read it for fun. Really liked it. Great characters!
Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts - heist. Liked, not loved it. Great story and I liked the writing style. Just felt a little long.
Currently reading I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death for grief and death prompt. Really liking it so far.

QOTW: I like sad books when I’m in the mood. There are some books that just seem to try and make you cry (Me Before You) that I find kinda annoying, but I still enjoy them!

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 129 comments Chrandra wrote: "Once again, I really have no idea if any of these fit my prompts I have left.

Seduction in Death by JD Robb. Still enjoyable reads but it’s the 13th book in the series and the main character men..."

The Wanderers is on my list, glad you liked it!

message 35: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone! I just got home from a 3-day business trip to Minnesota, and it figures that temperatures in Dallas have been unbearable this month…until I left town. Apparently while I’ve been away the temperatures have been below normal. But either way, it was still cooler in Minnesota and I enjoyed the break from the Texas heat.

Nothing again for Popsugar this week so I'm still at 41/52 for the challenge.

Books I finished:
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan. This had a heavier tone than Crazy Rich Asians. I still enjoyed it, but I might read some reviews of the next book in the series before committing.

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris. This was okay. It was too repetitive in the middle, so if a few chapters were either condensed or removed I would have liked it a lot better. Good ending, though,.

Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer. Very timely as this is a sad book. I didn't know what it was about before reading for a book club. It would have made me emotional if I wasn't annoyed by the main character.

The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand. I enjoyed this one. Each time I read one of her novels I am reminded that I do not like east coast snobbery, but taking that out, this was a good story. Some of the characters from other Nantucket novels are in this one, but you don't have to read the other ones first. It isn't really a series, just a few recurring characters.

I am currently reading:
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs for a book about time travel (23).
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson for a childhood classic I never read (33).
The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

QOTW: I don't intentionally seek out sad books. I do love Kristin Hannah, though, whose books always seem to get me to shed a tear (or several). I think as long as the story is great and sadness/grief doesn't dominate the entire book it is okay, but I will need to be in the mood to start it.

message 36: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 725 comments Raquel,

Hm, maybe I just don't know where it is? I don't see anything obvious in the interface, but I don't have an audio book out right now to see.

message 37: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1616 comments Happy August all! One of my favorite months - because it means summer is nearly over (I hate hot humid weather; give me snow and cold, LOL), and I celebrate my birthday. It's also peak fresh berries and peaches harvest time, and the tomatoes and sweet corn available at the green markets are exceptional. All reasons to love August!

No progress on the 2018 Pop Sugar Challenge front - still holding at 41/50.

Finished:
Treachery in Bordeaux - first in the Winemakers Mysteries set in Bordeaux, France - translated from French and actually basis for a French tv series. Quite enjoyable - the winemaker reminded me a bit of Poirot -- middle-aged, a little stuffy, brilliant mind. More cozy than procedural. Some of the wine info is a tad technical, but will definitely read more in the series. I think I can slot this into the 2015 Pop Sugar Challenge (which I'm completing with books not fitting this year's challenge, where possible) as a book owned but not read - the series was given to me a few years ago by a good friend who knows what a Francophile I am!

Then...I guess I was watching a few too many Hallmark Channel Christmas in July movies because I was bit badly by the Christmas Rom Com reading bug:

The Holiday Swap - 2 childhood friends switch homes for a couple weeks at Christmas after relationship issues surface - one is in rural Cheshire England and the other is in Barcelona (yes, indeed, clearly the movie The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz was a big influence. Which was fine - I love that movie!). Light, fun, predictable, some great moments - and the scene in the beginning where Flo discovers and gets revenge on her cheating boyfriend is alone worth a full star in the review!

Bella's Christmas Bake Off - also fun, lots of behind the scenes of a cooking show, quirky characters, genuinely funny bits. Book could have used more editing in the beginning but came into its own when Amy and Bella, friends from childhood who lost touch after a Terrible Betrayal when they were teens, reconnect. If you want a lot of romance, kisses under the mistletoe and heavy breathing - this is NOT the book - the romance is incidental. It's really about friendship and forgiveness.

Currently Reading (I'm now over the Christmas in July cravings):

Love and Ruin - the story of Marty Gelhorn, Hemingway's 3rd wife. So far it is totally engrossing - I'm on page 38 and Marty has just spotted Hemingway for the first time, in a seedy bar in Key West. Paula McLain is a writer I will be keeping an eye on. Told from first person, McLain has captured a totally different voice from that she employed in The Paris Wife. This is one seriously gifted writer.

QOTW:

I cry at everything, even sections of silly romances and cozy mysteries! I have more than my fair share of Irish Waterworks! I don't always know what's going to make me cry or even feel sad or moved when reading. Sometimes it's obvious, but often I'm caught by surprise.

I interpret the QOTW as books where the pain of reading was so intense that (a) I had to put it aside and calm down for a bit before continuing to read - even read something else then going back to it, and/or (b) sobbing so hard I can't see the page, I am so moved, and/or (c) it haunts me in a deeply emotional way, and (d) I give warnings when I recommend the book to someone.

I don't really seek these out, and while there are some I might actively avoid (I think I'm doing that with A Little Life), if there is something about the story or writing that draws me to it, I'll read it eventually. But I will also surround it with light easy reads.

So, those sad emotional reads that immediately come to mind and that I recommend as simply brilliant books:
The Prince of Tides - it has to be 30 years at least since I read this book and I still choke up and feel a deep deep pain when I think of it. The sheer beauty of the writing contributed greatly to my intense reaction to the story told because it was such a contrast to the events described. It took me hours to read the last 100 pages, I was sobbing so hard. Skip the movie - it sucks, frankly.
Angela's Ashes - McCourt captures perfectly the voice of the child narator.
The Nightingale - when I read this last year, I literally had to put it aside for a while about 2/3 way through because I could not read any further about the women's lives in occupied France. WWII and the French Occupation from the women's POV.
Speak No Evil - very contemporary treatment of issues we are grappling with today and the fall out of decisions made 'for the best'. Beautifully written. Heartbreaking.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 833 comments SarahKat wrote: "Kathy wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "Hello all! I made some progress this week. I finished 4 books this week, 2 for popsugar, bringing my total to 47/52

If I finished [book:Wicked: The Life and Times of..."

The musical is amazing. Hope you get to see it

message 39: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 676 comments I finished The Leopard Hunts in Darkness, my book with an animal in the title. What a blood bath. And I have started No longer alone as my book about mental health.

QOTW: I wear glasses so I find it really annoying to read and cry at the same time. That said, I love a lot of books that have made me cry.

message 40: by Cyndy (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

Cyndy | 122 comments Every once in a while I think that's a great question, and then I MOVE ON. BUT this week - I'm POSTING!

Finished this week: Hello, Sunshine and Tales of the City
Currently reading: The Cuckoo's Calling

QOTW: Do you like to read books that are sad or devastating and/or make you cry?
They are some of the best books ever! Do I seek them out? Not intentionally. I love humorous books and I am known for laughing out loud at work while reading and eating my lunch - quality reading time. But I read anything that sounds interesting to me.

So many different things make me cry -
NOSTALGIA: When Coca-Cola brought the commercial back out for "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" - I found out commercials could make me cry. So, it was more likely because of the song, but I'm sticking to commercials can make me cry... OK, so not blubbering, sobbing tears, but real tears.
HAPPINESS: No immediate example comes to mind, but most everyone has cried tears of joy.
RELIEF: Again not blubbering, but real tears. Every time the oncologist says you're good to go, see you in six months. Sometime that day there are tears of relief.
ANGER: When I was much younger and couldn't figure out how to "solve" the issue. Now I know how to choose my reaction.
SADNESS: Lots and lots of books in this area. Again not blubbering sobs, but sadness for how characters are treated, how characters feel. If there was ever a book that made me a blubbering mess, I would probably not read for a week and then I would MOVE ON! I loved or mostly loved these books! -- The Almost Sisters, What the Waves Know, Murder in Little Egypt, Small Great Things, Sounder, Little Bee, The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe, Calling Me Home, Wish You Well, A Painted House, The Book of Bright Ideas, Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral, The Yearling, The Invention of Wings, Sing, Unburied, Sing, Little Fires Everywhere, The Boys of Dunbar: A Story of Love, Hope, and Basketball' Tuck Everlasting, The Saboteur, The One Man, The Autobiography of Malcolm X; What It is Like to Go to War and I'm positive I could go on and on and ...

message 41: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 346 comments Good Morning from a sunny but slightly chilly Lithgow NSW Australia.

I’ve been at my actual own home (childhood home I inherited from my parents) this week and instead of reading all week like I wanted to do I decided to reclaim the living areas from all the boxes from our last move. And to reorganise the spare bedrooms so that they are actually usable. Nearly there.

I only finished one book this week. I also read one of the kids old books that I found while tidying and added it.

Her Pretty Face by Robyn Harding (paperback) twisty turny sort of thriller and I really enjoyed it.

Dr Dog by Babette Cole. The amount of times I read this to the kids when they were little....Has some of the best advice ever in a kids book. Don’t scratch your bum and suck your thumb.

Currently reading

Caraval by Stephanie Garber (iPad) Enjoying this so far.

Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (paperback) A little way in and enjoying it too.

Beartown by Fredrik Backman (paperback) still stuck at halfway. One of those things. I’ll get back to it eventually. I hope.

QOTW

Sad books? I’m Mrs Cry at the Drop of a Hat and I used to avoid them like the plague. Some I still do but I really do enjoy a book that takes me on an emotional journey nowadays.
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann S
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
These are the books that have completely wrecked me this year. The ones where after I finish them I sit there clutching them (or stroking them or both) a worn out shell of the person I was when I started the book. It didn’t help when I read Guernsey and Racing in the Rain one after the other. I was a wreck that week lol

message 42: by Teri (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1098 comments I'm having a week where I kind of hate people (rough week at work), so maybe talking and reading about books will make me feel better. Or else I need to crawl into bed and hibernate for a few days.

I finished two books this week, both for the challenge. I'm so close to the finish, but the next few books I've gotten from the library don't fit the prompts. I'll get there yet, but I'm easily distracted.

24. Weather element in title - Wild Storm by the fictional author Richard Castle from the TV show "Castle" (the real author of these books is a mystery)
This was a fun read (serious subject matter with a light touch), as all of the Richard Castle books have been. If you liked the TV series, you'd probably like the books.

36. Decade you were born - Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W Abagnale
This is a fascinating memoir of the ultimate con man, who by the time he turned 20 had successfully impersonated a pilot, a doctor, a lawyer, and a college professor, scamming millions of dollars in the process. It occurred in the 1960s (the decade I was born), and it was a great read for this as his scams reminded me of lots of ways the world has changed since that time, especially in technology and trust. I'm going to watch the movie again tonight (love me some Tom Hanks).

39/42 regular, 5/10 advanced, 15 non-challenge for 59 books total

QOTW:

I love books that make me feel something, whether positive or negative emotion. Books with predictable happy endings don't thrill me nearly as often as an unexpected tear jerker. I rarely cry about my own life, so I need the release somehow, I suppose. So I love books like The Fault in Our Stars (yet again, Nadine and I have different tastes), Gone with the Wind, Big Little Lies, Me Before You, 1984, The Book Thief, A Man Called Ove and others that don't necessarily end the way you expect.

message 43: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 346 comments Commercials make me cry Cyndy. There’s one on here in Australia at the moment. It’s a bank one or a ice insurance one or something. Don’t know. Can’t see through the tears. Starts with a beautiful young woman falling over in the street and the friendly looking guy with the moustache who picks her up and helps her. They get married (he turns up late and wet and muddy to the wedding after helping some guy he was driving past catch his horse) and have a kid all the while with him helping and encouraging people. They live to a ripe old age. At the end he dies and at the funeral all the people he affected are there with fake moustaches on. It’s really lovely. Gets me every time.

message 44: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1098 comments Tara wrote: " But the biggest news of all is that I finished the Popsugar Challenge!! . . .

The Lightning Thief (weather element in title) I finally read my first Percy Jackson book! It didn't change my life but I did enjoy this fun and fast-paced story."

Congrats on finishing! I read the Percy Jackson series a couple of years ago at the request of some of my nieces and nephews, and I loved the series much more than expected. I read another series of Rick Riordan's as well before I got a little burned out, but I intend to read more at some point.

message 45: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy | 122 comments Commercials make me cry Jacqueline, GLAD to know I'm not the only one! ;-)

message 46: by Teri (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1098 comments SarahKat wrote: "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire on audio for Stage play or musical. I did not care for this. I really really wanted to but it was not to be. "

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I know people who list this as their favorite book ever, and I cannot figure out how we read the same book. I gave it one star, I disliked it so much. The play, on the other hand, is sublime.

And I'm sorry you've had to go through whatever it is that makes you cry at some books. Life can be hard.

message 47: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1098 comments Sheri wrote: "Currently reading: The Surgeon - For ATY's medical thriller. Not very far yet, although I'm a little confused how it's Rizzoli and Isles #1, yet the perspective character is neither Rizzoli or Isles. Hopefully that changes soon."

The series is quite good, and it will be very Rizzoli and Isles from here on out. It is quite different from the TV series, though.

message 48: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 346 comments Percy Jackson didn’t change my world either but I do love him. I picked Lightning Thief up at Brisbane Airport years ago when they were talking about making the movie. It was the only thing there that caught my eye and I had a long day of sitting around in front of me. I’ve read heaps more since then too. I really enjoy Rick Riordan’s books. They’re not great literature but they’re fun.

message 49: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 395 comments I can't believe it's August. I managed to get two books for the challenge

Your favorite prompt from the 2015-2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges: I read Chasing the Green Fairy by Melanie Karsak (Steampunk)

A book by a local author Guilty by Association by E.A. Copen. Ms Copen is so local, we're in the same writing group. This was a great urban fantasy (and in case someone is still looking, when I say local here, I mean southeast Ohio.

QOTW I actively avoid sad, depressing books. My clinical depression gives me all the sad I can handle

message 50: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 725 comments Teri,

Cool, rizzoli has been in it more since I posted :) no sign of isles yet.

« previous 1