2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > October Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Aug 02, 2018 02:20AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for October and the theme is Imagination!

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by August 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Oh I knew immediately what I wanted to nominate for this one. It's for October - Halloween! Which means we need something creepy to read and when I think of creepy, I think of Edgar Allan Poe's works. And to fit with the theme, here is a collection of his works + illustrations done by modern artists. And the title itself fits the group's theme perfectly:

Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe

message 3: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 46 comments I'd like to nominate all signals red by Martha Wells. she is such an amazingly imaginative writer. her world crafting just on another level. this is the beginning a new series.

message 4: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 46 comments excuse me but it's called all systems red.

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments I would like to nominate Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. When I think of imaginative writing my first thought if fantasy and what better than a book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, two of the finest fantasy authors.

message 6: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 07, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll nominate Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll. Alice's adventures are a product of her strong imagination.

message 7: by JustJennifer (new)

JustJennifer | 28 comments I second Good Omens.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Aug 07, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

SarahKat | 3083 comments I third Good Omens. Neil Gaiman was the first thing I thought of for this theme.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 165 comments I would like to nominate The Thief of Always by Clive Barker.

Mr. Hood's Holiday House has stood for a thousand years, welcoming countless children into its embrace. It is a place of miracles where every childhood whim may be satisfied. There is a price to be paid, of course, but young Harvey Swick, bored with his life and beguiled by Mr. Hood's wonders, does not stop to consider the consequences. It is only when the house shows its darker face—when Harvey discovers the pitiful creatures that dwell in its shadows—that he comes to doubt Mr. Hood's philanthropy.

In this house, anything you imagine can come true!

message 10: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Now that sounds very interesting, I’ll second The Thief of Always

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I will nominate Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So much better in my imagination than in the film versions! I was also thinking maybe something lighter after September's science read.

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Thank you everyone, keep them coming!

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I would like to nominate Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly. This book is all about imagination and books!!!

message 14: by Solveig (new)

Solveig | 9 comments I what to nominate Caraval by Stephanie Garber. The book features a strong theme of what's imagined and what's not and when I read it it really sparked my imagination, because it's such a descriptive and mysterious book.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 139 comments I would like to nominate Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.

Imagination is one of the driving factors of the novel. It is a tale that derived from Shelley’s imagination, and it’s an important theme in the novel. Shelley’s use of the imagination in the novel is also a reflection of the novel’s Romantic period.

It’s also a great read for October!

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin A Octothorpe Reader wrote: "I would like to nominate Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly. This book is all about imagination and books!!!"

I second this

message 17: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 337 comments I second Dylan nomination for Edgar Allen Poe’s book.

message 18: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4096 comments I'd like to nominate Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
"Lincoln in the Bardo is an astonishing feat of imagination and a bold step forward from one of the most important and influential writers of his generation."

message 19: by Rachael (last edited Aug 12, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3208 comments Lots of good nominations this month! I can't choose which one to second.
Good Omens is a great book but I've already read it earlier this year.
Alice in Wonderland really fits in with the theme.
I love anything to do with Beauty and the Beast
I haven't read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for ages.
I have Frankenstein on my shelf but I think it may have been a group read before?
Hmmm... Decisions, decisions. I'd be happy with any of them really.

OK, after thinking about it, I'm going to second Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book purely because Belle is my favourite Disney Princess

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 5 comments I would like to nominate:
-Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
but I would also agree with Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett that has already been nominated.

Thank you,
Em

message 21: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6684 comments Ilona wrote: "I'd like to nominate Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
"Lincoln in the Bardo is an astonishing feat of imagination and a bold step forward from one of the mos..."

I second this book!

message 22: by GV King (new)

GV King (gvking) | 4 comments Megan wrote: "Ilona wrote: "I'd like to nominate Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
"Lincoln in the Bardo is an astonishing feat of imagination and a bold step forward from ..."

I also would like to read Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bcasolare) | 7 comments I would second Caraval and Frankenstein- both great choices!

message 24: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Brittany wrote: "I would second Caraval and Frankenstein- both great choices!"

Since each can only second one book and I want to re-read Frankenstein, I'm going to second Frankenstein myself and you can second Caraval ^^

message 25: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments When I read imagination, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory immediately came to mind! So my recommendation is the childhood classic, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Ronald Dahl!

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I was so hesitant to recommend a "child-hood" book, and now so happy to see everyone has the same thought!

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Rachael wrote: "Lots of good nominations this month! I can't choose which one to second.
Good Omens is a great book but I've already read it earlier this year.
Alice in Wonderland really fits in with the theme.
I..."

It has I think. I will check it tomorrow and add the other ones to the notes. Thank you!

message 28: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Aug 23, 2018 12:03AM) (new)

oshizu | 5411 comments Brittany wrote: "I would like to nominate Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. When I think of imaginative writing my first thought if fantasy and what better than a boo..."

I also wish to cast a vote for Good Omens!
It's also a book I've been planning to read this year sometime.

message 29: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments I have been away on vacation for a few days so everything is a little bit late this month. Please continue to suggest and I will close the thread tomorrow :)

message 30: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Closing nominations. Poll up tomorrow :)

message 31: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4633 comments Poll is up! Please vote for our next group read! :

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.