Islam discussion

Do we have any converts here?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dino (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Dino | 6 comments Mod
Hello, I am curious to whether we have any people here that converted to Islam later in life, rather than was brought up in an Muslim household.

I always find it interesting to hear the story of converts, what caused it, what triggered it and how it has affected the convert.

Do we have any in this group? If so is the case I am sure many of us would find it interesting to hear your story.

message 2: by Maya Sari (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Maya Sari (Maya_Sari_Syahrul) | 3 comments I am moslem from the day borned, but I know some people who move to islam, or called by mualaf. Quite a lot hear that usually mualaf is someone who have struggle and try to look for truth. One of them is Jeffrey Lang, who has written 3 book related to Islam.
Beside that, I also concern to people who have embraced Islam from birth. I think, they also have separate struggle when they do not only be a moslem as Identity, or Indonesian people called as Islam KTP. Like figure Azzam in Dwilogi Novel written by Habiburrahman El-Shirazy, Ketika Cinta Bertasbih. Kang Abik depicted Azzam as a figure who can be told as a moslem in 21 century. The writer wish to try to depict how figure a moslem completely. Of course there is no instant way to become like that. Need struggle for consistence or Istiqomah to become a intact moslem.

maya, who still learn&learn&learn..

message 3: by Tynan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Tynan Power | 6 comments I'm an American convert. I've been Muslim for 22 years.

My story: I felt a strong sense of religious "calling"---a great desire to find the truth and feel connected to God, and devote my life to God---as a teenager. I started learning about different religions, because I disagreed with the theology of the Catholic church (I was raised Catholic). I met Muslims and started learning more about Islam from them, but they recommended I read the Qur'an for more accurate information. So I did. I converted very soon after that.

I definitely struggled with my family over my conversion, especially in the beginning. They didn't understand it and thought I was too young to make "life changing" decisions. (At the same time, I was being encouraged to choose a college and a major in college... how is choosing to practice a religion more long-term life-altering than choosing a major in college??)

Over the years, I have gone from being only theoretically Muslim (believing in the ideology but not practice), to practicing a very fundamentalist type of Islam, to where I am now which is practicing, but progressive and leaning towards Sufi in some ways.

message 4: by Diar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Diar | 1 comments Assalamu'alaikum. I was born moslem. As I grow old I become more and more critical (in a good way) about my religion. I believe in God and so far I still believe Islam is the best way (I learned about Catholic, Christian, and Buddhism).
I want to know and learn more about Islam because I want to be moslem and believe in it NOT because I was born Islam. That's why I am interested in "stories" from the converts.
Last week I have a tough conversation with my best friend (he was Poland who born Catholic). He does not believe in religion and he doesnt like Islam way. We have quite an argument about it. Since I am living and working where most of the ppl either atheist or non-moslem, I am challenged to be able to practise Islam as well as explaining it.
It is different when I was living where most of the ppl is moslem.
I am still learning and learning and reading and reading.
Wassalam

message 5: by Deena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Deena | 16 comments I remember a convert sister tell me that we are smart since we choose Islam as a religion.

So nice to know a new brothers and sisters.. convert or not..

Assalamu'alaikum..