What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy - A school of magic where the headmaster takes in a new kid every year as the oldest kid disappears. May be in German only, read in 1990. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Qantaqua | 2 comments I was given this book to learn German while I was overseas. It could technically be YA, Adult or anywhere in between but I have no way to know as it was in German only.

The Plot was where the headmaster ran a school / orphanage and as the oldest and most trained kid there would disappear and a new one would show up. There was some magic involved but much more subtle than Harry Potter. The book covers the main character as he gets brought into the house and as the kids older than him keep disappearing each year he has to figure out what is happening and how to survive by the end of his time there.

SPOILERS

Each older kid would have to duel the owner / headmaster at the end of the year and get a replacement to keep the house / magic in order.

message 2: by Martini (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:35AM) (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments It's been a very long time since I read it, but could it be Krabat/The Satanic Mill?

Wikipedia's description is a bit more detailed: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraba...

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Qantaqua | 2 comments Seems correct, I'll have to try and read it to see if it is the one. Thank you so much for the response.

Dan

message 4: by Kris (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:08AM) (new)

Kris | 35116 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Krabat by Otfried Preußler - Martini's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=5G0... There are different cover images.

message 5: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 214 comments Dan, was Krabat the book you were looking for?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Krabat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Otfried Preußler (other topics)