EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
CLASSICS READS > In Cold Blood (classic read) — pre-read

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Aug 03, 2018 04:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments This discussion is for the August ‘18 Classics Group Read

The book selected is In Cold Blood

*Spoiler-Free Please*

Renee (elenarenee) I am going to be sitting this one out. I have discussed the book in 3 groups already this year. I have nothing more to say about it. Its a well written and ground breaking book. I hope you all enjoy it.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments Renee wrote: "I am going to be sitting this one out. I have discussed the book in 3 groups already this year. I have nothing more to say about it. Its a well written and ground breaking book. I hope you all enjo..."

The voting is still on-going so the book selection may change. I got off by a day and announced this the winner and created threads prematurely, fyi. So I just left it in as a placeholder. Same goes for the other thread.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments Ok, the final result didn't change and In Cold Blood is still the selection.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments Anyone in for this book? It is one I have read before. I believe it was the original “non-fiction novel”.

Kerri | 701 comments I am in :) I won’t be able to start it until later this month but I am interested in this one.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 26 comments I would love to read this as well, but like Kerri, I won't be able to start until later this month.

message 8: by Karina (new)

Karina Irismetov | 7 comments I would join too , but I don’t know if I will be able to read it now . I think for me it’s the same with later in August .

Honore | 175 comments I just recently read Breakfast At Tiffany's and own a copy of this work so I will definitely be reading!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) For those who like to know more about authors, and the story behind the story, you might want to watch one of Truman Capote's biopics AFTER reading the book. (Capote, and Infamous). Infamous showed how Truman got close to the murderers to get the story. Also notable was the involvement of his childhood friend Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird. (The character of Dill was based on Truman Capote as a child.)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I read this one several years ago, around the time the Capote and Infamous movies came out. I probably won't re-read it but I'll be following the discussion. I wouldn't mind re-reading this book someday but I'm just way too busy right now.

message 12: by Jiffy (new)

Jiffy | 12 comments I don't do group reads and I don't make commitments to read. But I've read In Cold Blood twice, and I took part in a wonderful discussion of it on the old Amazon Book Forum. If I have anything to add to this discussion, I'll be glad to.

Joanna | 48 comments I’m new to the group, and I’m up for it! Am I going to be disturbed though? My husband made a face when he saw it, lol!

Joanna | 48 comments I guess the title is a hint though.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments Joanna wrote: "I’m new to the group, and I’m up for it! Am I going to be disturbed though? My husband made a face when he saw it, lol!"

I think it is sort of similar to watching a true crime series. There is potential for being disturbed for sure.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments Jiffy wrote: "I don't do group reads and I don't make commitments to read. But I've read In Cold Blood twice, and I took part in a wonderful discussion of it on the old Amazon Book Forum. If I have anything to a..."

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Joanna | 48 comments I shall read it during daylight hours! 😏

message 18: by Jiffy (new)

Jiffy | 12 comments Joanna wrote: "I shall read it during daylight hours! 😏"

Probably best. I already knew about the crime when I read it, but it's still very disturbing, even more than fifty years later.

message 19: by Jiffy (new)

Jiffy | 12 comments In Cold Blood has one of my favorite first lines in all literature--"The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call 'out there.'" It's a simple geographical statement that establishes the setting, but there's something ominous about it that sets the mood for the rest of the book. I think it's quite an achievement.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 336 comments This sounds so good, but my library has a huge waiting list. I probably won't get to reading this any time soon.

Cassie (cwalters-shantal) | 28 comments I just joined this group and would be happy to read this this month. I own it, as I was supposed to read it for a creative nonfiction course, but alas, I did not and it has since sat on my shelf. Excited to finally be "forced" to do so and will happily add to the discussion once I get going- likely in the next week or two.

Megan | 386 comments I’ve been meaning to read this for a long time, so I’m glad it got picked.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 88 comments I'm beginning it tomorrow.

Kimberly Wendt | 201 comments Just picked it up from the library today! Not sure when I'll be starting it, since I also want to read The Alchemist and I'm in the middle of two other books too!

Catherine (catjackson) I read this a long time ago and remember some parts. I don't remember it being too disturbing, though. The book was OK for me, but not great.

Kelcey Grace | 6 comments Looking forward to diving into this classic that everyone has read but me! I’ll be a bit later on in the month as well as I am waiting for a hold at the libs, but hopefully it comes in soon :)

message 27: by Ulla (new) - added it

Ulla Gomez | 31 comments It’s on my to read list, so I’m thrilled to have some pressure from this group this month to finally dive into it. As soon as I finish my current one!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1108 comments When this book was being voted on, I looked up Holcomb, KS, where much of this book takes place. I have driven through it before on my way to Colorado, and while a population of 2,000 is tiny by most people’s standards, it is a fairly sizable community by rural Kansas standards, especially Western Kansas, likely having a grocery store and a few restaurants. However, when I looked at the census history, it was less than 300 when this book takes place and that’s tiny even to rural Kansans.

Carly This book is on my university summer reading list, so I'll definitely be in for the read. Picked it up at the library just today, and very much looking forward to the read.

message 30: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Randy wrote: "I read this one several years ago, around the time the Capote and Infamous movies came out. I probably won't re-read it but I'll be following the discussion. I wouldn't mind re-reading this book so..."

The movies implied quite a bit about Capote's intentions as he was writing the book.

I think the book itself was notable as one of the first true crime novels. I suppose it may seem dull to people who are accustomed to a lot more action and more complex crime stories, but knowing that it's a true story heightens the intensity. Capote was a good writer and made it more interesting with his attention to detail.

message 31: by Jiffy (new)

Jiffy | 12 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "When this book was being voted on, I looked up Holcomb, KS, where much of this book takes place. I have driven through it before on my way to Colorado, and while a population of 2,000 is tiny by mo..."

When I was reading the book, I looked up the Clutter farm on Google Earth and You Tube, and I was amazed at how close it was to the village. Of course, the town would have expanded in 50 years but I had pictured the farm as being way out in the middle of nowhere, and it wasn't. That may not be relevant to what happened, but it was a detail that took me by surprise.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

In Cold Blood (other topics)