EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] BOTM SUGGESTIONS > BOTM Suggestions September ‘18: Modern Classic/Popular (1970 & After)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Aug 04, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments Hi all! Starting up the monthly discussions for September 2018 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the MODERN CLASSIC/POPULAR CATEGORY.

As a reminder, books that qualify for this category must have a publication date 1970 or after. For older books, please make your suggestion on the Classics Reads thread.

Not a hard and fast rule, but please try to limit your nominations to one book per category. But please do second any that interest you!

Since all of these are too new for public domain, let’s try to keep nominations to shorter books (250(ish) pages or less as a suggestion) and avoid new releases or books with movie/tv adaptations recently made or soon-to-be released to make it easier on participants to get a copy and read for September.

Nominations end 9 PM PDT August 5.

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Aug 05, 2018 09:37PM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments Tracking: through message 50

Nominee — # of seconds
1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time — 3
2. A Brief History of Time — 3
3. The Light Between Oceans — 3

4. The Radleys — 2 — cutting off at 3 seconds for poll inclusion, plus this book has less ratings than typically included as BOTM, see the BOTM Suggestions FAQ for reference.
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower — 2 — cutting off at 3 seconds for poll inclusion

6. Sing, Unburied, Sing — 6

7. Beloved — 1 — cutting off at 3 seconds for poll inclusion

8. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry — 7
9. Ender's Game — 4
10. Paper Towns — 3

**Let me know if I get off on my calculations or miss anything.

NOTE: I will not personally check eligibility until nominations cease, but if others comment on it, I will update.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:36PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

[226 pages. 2003. Excellent book]

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 26 comments I nominate A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. (212 pages | 1987)

it's been on my TBR for a long time.

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessapal) | 32 comments I support The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, it's an amazing book!!!!

message 6: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 525 comments I am glad the group is up and running. I am finding it hard to find a book that meets the requirements of <250 pages.

I agree that the Curious Dog is a great book - I read it a number of years ago.

Perhaps the restriction/limitation should be on publishing date or release as a movie since these seem to be the factors that drive the ability to get the book at the library.

Thanks again for organizing the BOTM selection.

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments Laura, thanks for the feedback. Let’s just try to keep them shorter books and not make the 250 pages a hard rule just a suggestion.

UPDATE: I updated the description -- also liked your other suggestions.

@Laura -- was not sure to count you for a second on Curious Dog or not, so I have not yet.

message 9: by Jemma (new)

Jemma (captainjemima) I nominate The Radleys by Matt Haig.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 442 comments I'll second The Radleys.
(I'm in love with Matt Haig since reading How to Stop Time!)

message 11: by JustJennifer (new)

JustJennifer | 95 comments I second A Brief History of Time

message 12: by Monique (new)

Monique | 159 comments I nominate The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

message 13: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy eckert Nominate Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
285 pgs

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan | 376 comments The Light Between the Oceans was adapted into a movie, but it’s been out a while, so perhaps isn’t an issue (this isn’t a vote for it, either)

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 376 comments I second Sing, Unburied, Sing

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments I nominate Beloved by Toni Morrison

message 17: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Ames (kmames) | 147 comments Light between oceans

message 18: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 02, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Megan wrote: "The Light Between the Oceans was adapted into a movie, but it’s been out a while, so perhaps isn’t an issue (this isn’t a vote for it, either)"

For what it's worth, my library has plenty of copies of Light between Oceans, but a hold list for Sing Unburied Sing (2017).

Here are the results of my search for popular books, under 250 pages, between 1970 and 2016
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

NOT A VOTE -When I increased the page number,I foundThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, 2014, 260 pages. This is a perfect book for book lovers. If I found this first, I would have nominated it. He owns a bookstore and mentions many classic and modern books.)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments I will nominate The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. Sounds great Nancy.

message 20: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 02, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I second The Storied Life of A J Fikry

message 21: by Brady (new)

Brady I don’t recall if we have done Enders Game yet but if not, I’ll nominate it.

message 22: by Ulla (new)

Ulla Gomez | 31 comments I second The curious incident

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Keck I second The Perks of Being a Wallflower

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 202 comments I checked my library system before nominating The Light Between Oceans and there were many copies available.

message 25: by Laura H (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 525 comments I second the storied life of AJ Fikrey

message 26: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kimberly wrote: "I checked my library system before nominating The Light Between Oceans and there were many copies available."
Same here. When my rl bookclub read it, it was harder to get. The writing is really beautiful.

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I will second the Perks of Being a Wallflower. It sounds interesting

message 28: by MissLemon (last edited Aug 03, 2018 02:37AM) (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 275 comments I second Beloved

ETA: I will second A Brief History of Time as well, I've been trying to read it for ages, I just can't get my brain around it! If it's BOTM it might give me more incentive ...

message 29: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 222 comments I second The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
I didn't know it was this short! It has been on my to-read shelf for too long

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (readbydeb) | 49 comments I'll second The Light Between Oceans

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily Pahlke Householder (pahlkita) Sing, Unburied Sing

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 68 comments I will 2nd Ender's Game ! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I second both Enders Game and Sing Unburied Sing

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 442 comments Me too, I also 2nd Enders Game & Sing Unburied Sing.

message 35: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 55 comments I second The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.

message 36: by Fantastic Alice (new)

Fantastic Alice Fox (fantasticalicefox) | 5 comments I second Curious Incident. I'm only familiar in that Pearl Mackey(Bill Potts in Doctor Who) received quite a bit of acclaim in her role in the stage show.

Also I second Brief History of Time as Ender's game has way too many issues in the text alone for me to ever make myself suffer through it a second time.

And I think Brief History of Time has more significance now as the Author is no longer with us so it's not just a book written by a modern genius... It's a legacy.

message 37: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 88 comments NancyJ wrote: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

[226 pages. 2003. Excellent book]"

Loved this book!

message 38: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 88 comments I'll second The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 79 comments I second The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry as well.

message 41: by Deo (new)

Deo Gryffin (deogryffin) | 1 comments I nominate Paper Towns. Seems like evryone has read John Green and I want to try him as part of the challenge

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lane (mbailey13) | 74 comments Sing, unburied, sing

message 43: by Maybel (new)

Maybel | 27 comments I second The Light Between Oceans

message 44: by Jaido (new)

Jaido | 7 comments Sing, unburied, sing

message 45: by Darren (new)

Darren I second Paper Towns

message 46: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I will second paper towns

message 47: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka | 332 comments I second Paper Towns

message 48: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Martin | 2 comments Perks of Being a Wallflower

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 5 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Tracking: through message 39

Nominee — # of seconds
1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time — 3
2. A Brief History of Time — 3
3. [book:The Light Between Ocean..."

I love vampires so I vote for The Radleys

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1109 comments Hi all,

Please see message 2 for which books will be included in the poll. Bold for included and italics for not included. I listed the reason why a book will not be included, but if you have any questions please let me know.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.