Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Chamber Pot > On Dit — Best HRs Discussion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Considering that the idea of creating a group list of best HRs seems to have taken root, it seemed time to create a discussion thread.

So semantics: best method? How would we rank them? Categories?

message 2: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Can goodreads do a ranked choice poll? Or is it just a vote for one kind of thing?

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I'd like to see other people's top 5, or maybe 10 HR of any category, as long as it's clearly HR. It will be an interesting exercise for us each to decide on our own, but I'd LOVE to see others' too.

message 4: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Yeah, I like the idea of nominating a top certain number of books each and then possibly voting afterward.

message 5: by J (new)

J | 1 comments I'd like it too... Also what HR authors/books people dislike and why.
It would help me a lot, because I'm new to HR.

message 6: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Lorien wrote: "Can goodreads do a ranked choice poll? Or is it just a vote for one kind of thing?"

Unfortunately, goodreads doesn't allow multiple votes on a single poll( a survey kind of polls). We can only vote for one thing on any poll. There is Listopia for ranking our choice but it is public:(

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Oh heavens....I'm not sure I could pick a top 5. What a great challenge that would be. I'd love to see what other people's favorites are. Even more interesting it would be to see how they might change over the course of a year.

message 8: by Priya (new)

What if each one of us list our 5star/4star rated HRs? Those books with more 5 star and 4 star ratings would be our top HRs.
Alternatively we can compile a master list from these lists and have a google survey.

message 9: by Missy (last edited Aug 05, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

Missy | 947 comments That sounds like a good idea, Priya. Some of my top favorite books have a 3 star rating. This 4 or 5 star rating should help narrow it down, b/c I don't have too many books with 4/5 stars.

message 10: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Priya wrote: "What if each one of us list our 5star/4star rated HRs? Those books with more 5 star and 4 star ratings would be our top HRs.
Alternatively we can compile a master list from these lists and have a ..."

I think I could make myself pick my top 10.

We can also do a doodle poll. But I'm willing to compile the data too.

message 11: by Lorien (last edited Aug 14, 2018 10:18PM) (new)

Lorien | 387 comments I was still curious about this so I started going through just my hr's that were 4-5 stars, it got up to about 50+ books. I'm not quite done sorting them, but if I just count my 5 stars it's about 7-10 books.

message 12: by Missy (last edited Aug 14, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

Missy | 947 comments I made a list of my top 4-starred books and I currently have 8 books.

message 13: by Priya (new)

I have a top-100 HR bookshelf which includes my favourite 4 and 5 starred HRs ( not all). I have around 20 books in that. I have been adding to the shelf for 2 yrs now.

message 14: by Priya (new)

Lorien wrote: "Priya wrote: "What if each one of us list our 5star/4star rated HRs? Those books with more 5 star and 4 star ratings would be our top HRs.
Alternatively we can compile a master list from these lis..."

What is a doodle poll?

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I would have too much using 4 & 5 Stars, but I do have a DIK shelf that I would probably start with.

I think in terms of nominating there would need to be a stipulation of needing to have read the book fairly recently (maybe within the last 3 years?).

message 16: by Lorien (last edited Aug 15, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Priya wrote: "Priya wrote: "What is a doodle poll?
..."

Similar to a google survey, they let you vote for more than one item. I get them a lot when a group is looking for a meeting date that works the best for everyone.

message 17: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I would have too much using 4 & 5 Stars, but I do have a DIK shelf that I would probably start with.

I think in terms of nominating there would need to be a stipulation of needing to have read th..."

This might be tough rule for me.

message 18: by Priya (new)

Lorien wrote: "Priya wrote: "Priya wrote: "What is a doodle poll?
..."

Similar to a google survey, they let you vote for more than one item. I get them a lot when a group is looking for a meeting date that work..."

Thank you!

message 19: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Lorien wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I would have too much using 4 & 5 Stars, but I do have a DIK shelf that I would probably start with.

I think in terms of nominating there would need to be a stipulati..."

It is definitely just a suggestion, but I have found with my old favorites don’t always hold up. Thinking maybe we should discourage nostalgic nominations in some way.

message 20: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Lorien wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I would have too much using 4 & 5 Stars, but I do have a DIK shelf that I would probably start with.

I think in terms of nominating there would need to..."

Ahh gotcha

message 21: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments I think five star ratings only, but some of us are more generous than others....

message 22: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments I am a bit late voicing but I am in agreement with Mariana. I think five star ratings only.

I very rarely rate a book five star unless it is really a good book.

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1851 comments I'm the same. I rarely give 5 stars either. I'm on board with 5 star books only. If we included 4 stars, it would just be way too many for me.

message 24: by Priya (new)

Mariana wrote: "I think five star ratings only, but some of us are more generous than others...."

Good idea!

message 25: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 387 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I am a bit late voicing but I am in agreement with Mariana. I think five star ratings only.

I very rarely rate a book five star unless it is really a good book."

This is why a limit of 15-10 would be good to, for those who are more generous.

message 26: by Wynifred (new)

Wynifred | 37 comments oh man, i am super generous with my ratings. but I do know my favorites that i constantly go back to re-read almost every year, soi guess there's that!

message 27: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Wynifred wrote: "oh man, i am super generous with my ratings. but I do know my favorites that i constantly go back to re-read almost every year, soi guess there's that!"

I am generous too, but I have some favorites as well.

So... maybe maximum of 15 five star nominations each and then vote afterwards for the top, kind of like our our monthly book of the month nominations and voting?

message 28: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 11 comments I’d like to make a suggestion and I’m unsure if it’s been made elsewhere. I’ve looked in several discussion threads but haven’t found exactly what I’d like to see.

Could we have a thread or poll where favorite series are shared? Just series and the overall impression of the books is high. I tend to want the final book to be a strong entry but that’s not always easy to find. I’m a huge fan of series and connected worlds/storylines/characters. I’d like to see what others consider their best series reads.

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hi Kaci,

Is this the type of discussion you are looking for?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

We could revive that thread or start a new one.

message 30: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 11 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Hi Kaci,

We could revive that thread or start a new one."

This looks like exactly what I wanted! I’ll read through it. It could be good to revive the thread since it appears to be a year since the last update.

message 31: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Kaci wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Hi Kaci,

We could revive that thread or start ..."

Alright Kaci! It’s revived now.

message 32: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 11 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Kaci wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Hi Kaci,

We could revive that thr..."

Thank you so much!