Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Ripper Street

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Did anyone watch this? Does anyone watch this? It was on BBC for 5 seasons from 2011-2016. It takes place in London 1889, a year after the Jack the Ripper murders. I wanted to watch it when it was on but never got around to it but now that I am able to check it out I think it's very interesting and engaging.

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I haven't wanted the last season yet but I always quite enjoyed this. Pure pulp, but it enjoys what it's doing and has an energy that carries it through the ladelled-on cliches.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments I watched it Justin and it was great. Excellent storylines and great acting. Its the best programme the BBC produced for years.

However they didn't renew the last season but Amazon stepped in thankfully. The BBC would rather waste out licence fee on crap like Death in Paradise and Eastenders.i

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6830 comments I haven't tried that one but I have heard of it.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments Steve wrote: "I watched it Justin and it was great. Excellent storylines and great acting. Its the best programme the BBC produced for years.

However they didn't renew the last season but Amazon stepped in than..."

You must watch the last season as it goes full circle back to Jack! Its brilliant.

In my view its better than Penny Dreadful which seemed to run out of ideas but its the same sort of gernre

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments The BBC should make more use of my license fee. I rarely watch Terrestrial TV in the UK because its so safe and mundane. More edgy and raw programmes ile this is what the Beeb were famous for.

Now its generic middle class nonsense on the BBC or Reality shows on ITV/C4/C5. Plus popular but incredibly mediocre pap such as Downton Abbey, Midsummers Murders or Call the Midwife which do prove useful to cure my Insomnia.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Thanks for the testimonial Steve I guess that'll only further my watching of it!

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4646 comments Mod
I watched the first two seasons back when it was new, but then the Beeb had cancelled it....and then awhile later they uncancelled it. Netflix eventually got the later seasons, but it's so long since I watched the original two I haven't felt it worth watching as I have no memory of what happened so far back.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I'm three episodes in and I really enjoy it. Reed(Reid) reminds me of Sherlock Holmes at times and it's classically edgy

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments Alan wrote: "I watched the first two seasons back when it was new, but then the Beeb had cancelled it....and then awhile later they uncancelled it. Netflix eventually got the later seasons, but it's so long sin..."

Amazon did the last seasons Alan and the tightfisted BBC only showed because of public demand 9 months later.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 901 comments Justin wrote: "I'm three episodes in and I really enjoy it. Reed(Reid) reminds me of Sherlock Holmes at times and it's classically edgy"

I am jealous Alan as it gets better and better. All 3 of the main protagonists plus the two female leads have a lot of personal demons.

You have the introduction of the railways and John Merrick to look forward to plus many other great storylines.

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4646 comments Mod
Maybe someday I'll give the later seasons a go. I have so much other stuff to watch right now.....