Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
This topic is about The Duchess War
Aug 2018: The Duchess War > The Duchess War Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod

In order to encourage more participation and to keep the discussion in one thread, I've decided to make the main discussion thread spoiler free. You can hide spoilers by typing the html shown in the infographic above. I know it's 2018 and this should be a simple matter to select text and push a button, but Amazon has chosen not to upgrade the user interface in these forums for at least seven years, so this is the process we're stuck with. Just replace "your spoiler text" with "I am your father" or "He was dead all along" and you're good to go. Also, don't forget to leave a space before and after the brackets so the words don't all mash together.

Our pick for August is The Duchess War by Courtney Milan. It is the first novel in the Brothers Sinister series. You can use this thread to discuss the entire collection.
Sometimes love is an accident.

This time, it’s a strategy.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly—so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he’s up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he’s determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

message 2: by Ines (new) - added it

Ines (innit13) | 3 comments I'm so happy - I just happened to read the Brothers Sinister series over the past days (still need to read the last book) without realising it was this month's read!

Why is nobody discussing it yet?

It's all a bit of a blur so I'm not sure what to say about the first book in particular. As you can guess from how quickly I devoured the books (and the fact that I couldn't help but read waaay into the night) I love the entire series.
The female protagonists are strong and likable, the love interests are caring, feminist (for that period at least) and charming. The plots held my attention, the romances gave me butterflies, the heart-aches made me cry and the writing made me smile.
Sex-scenes are generally a bit too detailed and drawn out for my taste but they were quite well done in these books. I particularly liked (view spoiler)

Malaraa | 335 comments Feel free to join and chatter in discord at any point, not just for the "focused" *laughs hysterically* discussion time! But yeah, this one's been a quiet month.

I liked it well enough for what it was, it has some nice changes and good points compared to other British-historical-18something type books. Problem is, there's about 30 or 40 thousand British-historical-18something books, and while this is a nice enough one, I don't think it stood out quite enough from the crowd. I think maybe there's just not enough to say about it that hasn't been said about a dozen or two other books, so it just isn't breaking out many discussions.

Part of the problem for me is I'm thoroughly tired of this time and place, and that's not the fault of this book, it's just not the right thing for me, for now.

message 4: by Ines (new) - added it

Ines (innit13) | 3 comments I'm in the wrong time-zon for discord, sadly. I said so in m previous post but for some reason it's hidden in the spoiler part, no idea how to fix that.

I haven't read that many historical romances, so I guess it was new enough for me :)

Malaraa | 335 comments It would be a lot more enjoyable when it's something you've not read often. :)

And I meant, in discord, chatting about picks or random books or other things goes on all month. Yes, there's the special chat where those who can try to be there all at once, but you can join and talk to us all at other times too, the messages stay up so folks can still see them a few hours later, or the next day, ect. It's not limited to only real-time conversation. :) It's also not something everyone's into, and that's OK too! Just wanted to make sure you knew all the options.

message 6: by Ines (new) - added it

Ines (innit13) | 3 comments I see!Thanks :)
tbh I had no idea what discord was but maybe I should give it a try ;)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Our Discord isn't usually super busy so it's easy to come back and check it casually. It's more like the forums here than say, a Twitter feed. You can join at https://discord.gg/QtETnmF

Sarah | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book a lot but finished it on the second day of the month and didn’t want to be the first one to comment.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Duchess War (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Courtney Milan (other topics)