All the Bright Places All the Bright Places discussion

This Book Is Not Okay

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Heck So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

And...I am actually incredibly disturbed and feel the author should be ashamed of herself.

As someone with bipolar disorder, I feel offended by what she did to Finch as a character. My review explains it all. But in a nutshell, she completely trashed him and then wrote this Author's Note about how much she cares about suicide and bipolar disorder because of her experiences with it, yet was so horribly unfair to the very character who has this illness (potentially) and glamorizes the hell out of him disappearing and then killing himself?? But it's all okay because the worst and most selfish character in this book, Violet, gets forever changed and that means his suicide was A-OK? Am I the only one who feels like this? Because I have read other YA books dealing with mental illness and suicide and was completely okay and moved by them, but this one is the worst.

Emna I love this book because it showed that not all books are rainbows and butterflies, that a mental illness can be different from one another, but in the same time, it disturbed me a lot.
But it's a story that needed to be told, because as you said "he wrote about Finch's mental illness like he had no hope and he would always end up committing suicide." that's the point, it's more than just a mental illness, it's the people in his life, the help he got and all, everyone in this world who ended up committing suicide was once looked at as "nah they won't do it."

Kylee Amanda wrote: "So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

And...I am actually incredibly disturbed and feel the author should be ashamed of herself.

As so..."

So what would you tell a high schooler who is reading this book or wants to read it? What would you want them to know beforehand?

I agree that what happened to Finch was horribly sad and awful, but a lot of kids, a lot of people deal with far worse things. If they don't, personally, they know someone who does. I think it gives them room to explore tougher questions about hope and giving up and fighting for your life (literally). I can't help but wonder and worry about what's happening in the minds of my friends and family members who struggle with mental illness, especially after reading this story. All the Bright Places broke my heart, but I loved it.

message 4: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I'm not sure what part of this book "glamorized mental illness and suicide" Please explain. While reading this book, I was pained and had anxiety about Finch slipping into his "sleep". It broke my heart when he was sitting in his closet completely broken by his illness. Violet noticed the change and it hurt her as he was acting different and I thought that was a very honest depiction. In the end I didn't feel anything positive about her finding his clothes and knowing that he had committed suicide to escape his own mind. I don't think it shed any positive lights on mental illness. I also don't think there was a huge spotlight on how it "changed" Violet in the end.

message 5: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I do agree, however, that the ending didn't do justice of the emotional trauma that Violet would have gone through. But I accounted this as her being so young. I feel like if we could have seen a long-term depiction of Violet then we would better see how this truly affected her.

Skye I will admit that both the protagonist sort of annoyed me at first and that I was worried this was going to use suicide as more a plot device but by the end, my chest was aching. I even cried a bit and no point did I see it was written as everything seemingly being okay. However, I did not like how Violet handled it "well" so quickly. I know people experience loss differently but the way Violet seemed to not really be affected did seem off. Or maybe it was shock and the story ended before it really sank in for her that he was gone? But if that is the case then I do think it needed to be bit longer just so young readers could get an idea of mourning and how it's not easy or the prettiest notion like going on a scavenger hunt.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda wrote: "So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

As so..."

Amanda wrote: "So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

As so..."

I kinda agree that the author didn't make the whole situation with
Fintch really great and I completely agree about Violet's reaction and the fact that she's bit of selfish, but I still like the book. It's different and pretty good at all. There was really good parts.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ash wrote: "I'm not sure what part of this book "glamorized mental illness and suicide" Please explain. While reading this book, I was pained and had anxiety about Finch slipping into his "sleep". It broke my ..."

Completely agree!

Nouran So depressing, I couldn't take it.

Saanvi I don’t think that the author wanted to ‘glamorise mental illness or suicide.’ It was just the nasty truth that I agree broke my heart. I really thought or should I say hoped that Flinch will be alive in the end. I sincerely think that you should elaborate why you think that as I truly didn’t understand it

Amanda Heck Ash wrote: "I'm not sure what part of this book "glamorized mental illness and suicide" Please explain. While reading this book, I was pained and had anxiety about Finch slipping into his "sleep". It broke my ..."

Please see my review.

Amanda Heck Emma wrote: "Ash wrote: "I'm not sure what part of this book "glamorized mental illness and suicide" Please explain. While reading this book, I was pained and had anxiety about Finch slipping into his "sleep". ..."

Please see my review.

message 13: by Mev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mev This book actually broke my heart. Poor Violet. I cant believe her live like died. Also cant wait for the movie to come out

message 14: by Lucia (last edited Apr 26, 2019 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucia I liked the fact that the book it's real. we all interpreted the book in a different way, some might find the book unfair, cruel or amazing but overall the book is real. There is not always a happy ending where everybody saves each other, specially when they were both struggling, and not every girl spends a year crying when her boyfriend commits suicide. There are different ways of dealing with this kind of situation and we have no right to tell a character what to do and how to react. As humans, we want everything to be in the way we want and if it's not then it's wrong. that is not fair. I love the book, it's real.

Amanda Amanda wrote: "So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

As so..."

You know i totally agree with this. I read this book in a day and the way it made me feel at the ending didn't sit right. Finch did not need to die nor did the author have to portray his death like that. I wish we can just know more about him, before realizing that he was gone. At first I did not believe it, I thought there had to be something more. I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way. Also, I;m super late too, lol.

message 16: by Ace (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ace Campillo Amanda wrote: "So I literally finished reading this today. I read it all in one sitting (yeah I'm 3 years late).

As so..."

I somehow agree with your sentiment. I first read this book when it came out in 2015 and read it again a few months ago. It's quite devastating that I did not stop crying after reading the book. However, combating depression for a few years and being a nurse who experienced working with people with different mental health issues, I realised that people had different experiences. In my review of this book, I said that I salute the fact that there's changing points of view in every chapter, because a person's life couldn't be narrated by one voice. It's a sad story, but the story felt real to me, and I loved the way it was written.

JoEllen Geller dont fell bad i just finished it about 3 mounths ago but....that ending!!!!!!

Rosanna I agree- I have struggled with major depression for years. The ending glamorised Finch's suicide in an unhealthy way.

message 19: by Laura (last edited Apr 24, 2020 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura I guess the writer didn't have this story in her but one way to make these types of stories better is for them to be told from the perspective of a person with mental illness.

I did actually like most of this book but I don't feel it represented people with bipolar. Or gave them much to hold onto except a brief experience of love. Yes suicide is real and this is a book for the people left behind and where it fails to be that book is by not looking at the darkness of that situation enough.

Every teen with bipolar struggles but they don't all commit suicide. If you really want to write for that community show those struggles but also show a character who faces them and overcomes them.

Where characters have real world counterparts there is an obligation to provide that kind of hope, not in every story but in some of them at least.

If it's not your story I'm wondering what you are doing there as a writer because it's very easy just to exploit something that's become popular. I'll forgive this one because she claims a personal connection.

Maria Shelvy I read this book back in 2018 as well and I was only 13 years old then. I had just started in taking an interest in reading and this book was one of the firsts in my shelf, my experience in this whole reading industry being limited, I loved To All The Bright Places. But looking back now, I've come to an epiphany with these types of books. Finch's character deserved better, let's be honest. Yes, it contained an adventurous and flimsy relationship between the two protagonist BUT is it really justifiable to have Finch mysteriously disappear and commit suicide after having "saved" Violet from her own suicidal tendencies? I think not :(

Katherine Reilly I read this book 2 years ago and reread the book last week. I love this book. Violet and Finch's relationship, throughout the book and then finch just left and died.

message 22: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal Kesler Amanda back off. I thought it was brilliant. If u didn't like it then maybe it wasn't meant for you.