2021 Reading Challenge discussion

War and Peace
This topic is about War and Peace
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > War and Peace

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Leo Tolstoy‘s book, War and Peace.

PLEASE NOTE: This will be a two month read.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Ellen, Julia, Adam, Benjamin, Suki, Savannah

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 174
Week 2: 174
Week 3: 174
Week 4: 174
Week 5: 174
Week 6: 174
Week 7: 174
Week 8: 174

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Am I part of this buddy read or is that a different Kimberly? I read War and Peace last fall...

Chrissy | 222 comments I have been reading War and Peace since March I think, about one 10-15 minute section per day (Serial Reader app) with a goal of finishing in November I believe. Im just about 60% through the book at this point, so I’ll try to join in here with you all!

So far, there are chapters I enjoy and sections that are pretty boring. I’m pretty sure I would have lost interest by now without the app. Making my own cast of characters list as I read helped in the beginning to keep everyone straight, and I probably should have kept up with it. The key players do become familiar after a while, but when minor names come back I often don’t remember much about them.

Ellen | 35 comments Hi everyone! I also started reading a few weeks ago. Im about 65 % in. Love it so far, but i like the peace pieces better than the war pieces. And Tolstoj sometimes goes on these philosophical reflections. Sometimes i like them, sometimes not so much. Have to find a little motivation to finish the last 500 pages!

message 6: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 04, 2018 01:37PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kimberly wrote: "Am I part of this buddy read or is that a different Kimberly? I read War and Peace last fall..."

I believe this is you! I found a post from January when folks were first discussing this as a possible buddy read...I have reposted it below....let me know if you still want to participate!

Ellen & Julia - have added War & Peace to the list. Will update when you decide when.

Kimberly, I have added you to the list of participants as welll. Since you are currently reading it, I thought you might like to participate in the conversation.

Given the length of this book, perhaps it should be a multiple month read? Two? Maybe three?

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments Ah, I’ll pass on this buddy read then since it’s so long after I read it. Thanks though!

message 8: by Hanča (new) - added it

Hanča (citron) | 73 comments I started this book about month or two ago, so far I am about hundred pages in so I might as well join (even tho I am not sure I will in fact finish it in this timeline but I sure can try :)

message 9: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Greetings, All! I know it is a little early but I have moved this thread to September as it is a two month read!

message 10: by Hanča (new) - added it

Hanča (citron) | 73 comments Have been reading this on and off and I must say right now I am moving veeery slooow so I most definitely won't be done in September. :D I like it but not enough to pick it up more than for my daily half hour.

Chrissy | 222 comments My schedule has me finishing in Oct/Nov but I’m still interested in discussing as I go. Anyone else reading? Thoughts?

I really can’t keep characters straight and at this point (75% done) I’ve stopped trying or worrying about asides about what Napoleon is thinking are pretty good, even funny.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

War and Peace (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leo Tolstoy (other topics)