2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Night Circus

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Erin Morgenstern‘s book, The Night Circus.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Ilona, Joan, Eirelyn, SarahKat, Susy, Suki, Mikayla, Veronica, Kristin, Amanda, rachelnyc, Jess, LIndsay

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 100
Week 2: 100
Week 3: 100
Week 4: 100

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2840 comments Has anyone else started this yet? It pulled me in pretty quick.

message 4: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilona | 3987 comments Yes! I started two days ago and have read 20%. I really like it so far, the book has a very mysterious and magical (but also maybe glamorous vibe?). I am not sure how to describe it, but I like it :P

message 5: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blagica  | 12014 comments This book will make you believe in magic again it is one of the better ones I have read this year.

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I was hooked pretty quickly as well! I'm about 20% in and I have a feeling it's going to get harder to put down once the competition gets underway.

Maybe it's a good thing that it's going to be rainy this weekend and I will be stuck indoors!

Susy (susysstories) Just got it from the library today

Kate I loved this book. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2840 comments I'm 50% through now. I agree with you Ilona, mysterious, magical, glamorous. Since the beginning it's given me the same feel as The Greatest Showman, The Prestige, and Caraval. All of which I love.

I like the second person intros to each of the chapters. That feels very unique and makes it feel more real.

I am having a hard time keeping track of the dates at the beginning of each section though. I'm reading it on my ipad and there's not really a good way to go back to each beginning of the section to check the dates (I should have just bookmarked them all but I didn't think about it until just recently). There's a lot of jumping back and forth between the 1890's and 1900's and I am having trouble keeping the chronology right sometimes.

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Oh I just realized that this is a buddy read, not an open group discussion. I was just excited to see the book I was currently reading was being discussed! I hope it's ok to jump into the discussion but if not, please let me know.

message 11: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilona | 3987 comments That's totally ok, Rachelnyc! Everyone is welcome to join, and we love to hear what you think of the book :)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Thanks Ilona! I am now about 30% in and am so enamored with the descriptive language and I really wish that this circus was a real place that we could visit!

I had to go back and check dates a few times but once I realized that (view spoiler)

message 13: by Savannah (new) - added it

Savannah | 232 comments I haven't started this yet. I should have put it on my BookTube TBR lol. I'm hoping to get to it soon though!

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1417 comments I'm going on holiday tomorrow and taking it with me. Sounds good from your comments

message 15: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I loved the magical, dreamlike feel of this book. I also liked the beautiful writing, but not only that, also the characters, the imagination, the idea of the game, everything. Is it an action packed book? No. But it is definitely more than just beautiful writing, I was never bored, it never felt too long, read it in 2 days which for me is exceptionally fast.
Although I really wanted to know how (view spoiler) and therefore kept reading faster and faster, I kind of felt sad when I got to the last chapter. Maybe because of this I really fell in love with some of the phrases in that chapter:

(view spoiler)

Gave it 4.5 stars

message 16: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Thanks Ilona! I am now about 30% in and am so enamored with the descriptive language and I really wish that this circus was a real place that we could visit!

I had to go back and check dates a few..."

I have added you to the list of participants! Always feel free to jump into a buddy read - even if you are not on the list!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1215 comments I just started it tonight. I'm only a couple of chapters in, so I'm not sure what to think yet as it hasn't really gotten going. I've heard from a lot of people that it's very similar in concept and tone to Caraval, so I have incredibly high hopes as that is one of my favorite books I've read so far this year. :)

message 18: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2018 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilona | 3987 comments I just finished it. This is an amazing book and I cannot believe that I left in on my tbr for so long before picking it up.
I agree with you, Susy, the writing in the last chapters was exceptional.

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Penhallow | 69 comments Can I join this too? I'm about 10% in but it took me a while to get into the writing style. I really don't like second person or present tense so it's a bit of a struggle.

But I'm sure that once I get used to it it won't be so noticeable.

message 20: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Jess wrote: "Can I join this too? I'm about 10% in but it took me a while to get into the writing style. I really don't like second person or present tense so it's a bit of a struggle.

But I'm sure that once ..."

Of course, the more the merrier Jess.
I hope you get used to the writing style quickly because it's a wonderful book (or at least, to me it was). Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

message 21: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2840 comments The second person is really only at the beginning of each chapter. The majority of the book is third person, switching between perspectives.

I'm about 65% through. I like that it starts showing the reader more tents at the circus instead of only focusing on the people. I love when (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Penhallow | 69 comments SarahKat wrote: "The second person is really only at the beginning of each chapter. The majority of the book is third person, switching between perspectives.

I'm about 65% through. I like that it starts showing th..."

I'm glad to know there's not too much of it. I still don't like present tense even in third person. But some of my favourite books have been in present tense (Wolf Hall) so I think it just takes a bit of time to get used to.

message 23: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Jess wrote: "Can I join this too? I'm about 10% in but it took me a while to get into the writing style. I really don't like second person or present tense so it's a bit of a struggle.

But I'm sure that once ..."

I have added you to the list of participants!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1215 comments Jess wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "The second person is really only at the beginning of each chapter. The majority of the book is third person, switching between perspectives.

I'm about 65% through. I like that it ..."

I am glad to know that the 2nd person pov is only at the beginning of the chapters. That threw me completely the first time I encountered it. It's not a perspective I like at all, so I'm glad it's not included much. I don't mind present tense so much. It's a little less common, but I find myself getting used to it pretty quickly when I come across it in books.

message 25: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2840 comments I finished!

I loved it. I especially love all the descriptions of the circus and the tents. I like that the romance in this book was (view spoiler)

Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Lindsay | 1327 comments I would like to join this too please!

message 27: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Great, welcome Lindsay!

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1215 comments This seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion in here, but I'm having a hard time getting through this book. I am a third of the way through, and it just hasn't gripped me at all yet. =\

message 29: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Lindsay wrote: "I would like to join this too please!"

I have added you to the list of participants!

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I finished it and absolutely loved it! The author did such an incredible job of painting the picture with her descriptive imagery and it made me feel like I was living in that world when I was reading.

message 31: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "This seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion in here, but I'm having a hard time getting through this book. I am a third of the way through, and it just hasn't gripped me at all yet. =\"

Well, we all have different opinions on different books, right Eirelyn? I yet have to encounter a book that has nothing but positive or nothing but negative reviews. I just liked the magical feel of it very much.

message 32: by Jess (last edited Aug 13, 2018 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Penhallow | 69 comments I haven't stuck to the reading schedule mainly because I had a long plane journey so needed to fill my time! This means I've finished the book early but I'll still be popping in for discussions.

Unfortunately, I wasn't overly enamoured but I won't say why yet because I don't want to marr anyone's enjoyment!

message 33: by Joan (new) - added it

Joan Barnett | 800 comments I don't know if I'm going to get to this book this month. If I do it would be the last week of the month.

message 34: by Aqsa (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I started it just a few hrs ago and it's really interesting so far.
I hope it stays the same!
I finished part 1

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments My July buddy Mani and I really enjoyed the story and it pulled me in from the beginning. I'm a little confused by the ending and may have to go through it again to understand. Am I the only one?

message 36: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Dianne wrote: "My July buddy Mani and I really enjoyed the story and it pulled me in from the beginning. I'm a little confused by the ending and may have to go through it again to understand. Am I the only one?"

Confused about what exactly Dianne?

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1417 comments I finished the book. I loved the images, the descriptions, the colours!, the mystery. It was one of those books that pulls you in and you can't wait to read the next instalment. I would want to go to this circus, see the amazing clock, be caught up in the magic. One downside for me was the ending, the reason why it's 4 stars and not 5.

Could there be a sequel?!

I bought the book for the cover :)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

message 38: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I finished it!
WOW!

It's been a hell of a journey. I loved it all the way. It pulled me in from the very beginning. And I didn't wanna put it down and I didn't want to end it either.

It was magical, dream-like, beautiful really. I wanted to find that circus and get lost in it. The writing was beautiful, and picturesque.

Ofcourse the biggest challenge was to figure out about the challenge and how could it possibly end without breaking our hearts. And the solution was the best there could've been.
I'm so glad to have finally read it :)

message 39: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Amanda wrote: "I finished the book. I loved the images, the descriptions, the colours!, the mystery. It was one of those books that pulls you in and you can't wait to read the next instalment. I would want to go ..."

What was it about the end that you didn't like Amanda?
It didn't feel to me like there would be a sequel....

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1417 comments Susy wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I finished the book. I loved the images, the descriptions, the colours!, the mystery. It was one of those books that pulls you in and you can't wait to read the next instalment. I wo..."

Hi Susy, I guess after all the mystery and buildup, I was disappointed by the ending. I felt there could have been a better ending and that it was maybe rushed a bit. I read the unabridged version maybe that has something to do with it! (view spoiler) I don't think that there will be a sequel either but I would like it if the writer would write another book in that world and focus on another character or characters.

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I had never considered a sequel but I would love another book set in that world since I found it so mesmerizing. Maybe something with the twins as the main characters?

message 42: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments Yes, a sequel focusing on new/different characters would be fun to read. Perhaps the story of Tsukiko and her rival or maybe even the twins.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.