Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Writers Workshop > Book Title Need !!!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Last time I tried this I gave way too much info and was accused of bookwhacking. If I did, sorry about that. I'm still in desperate need of a title for my book. The working title is - A Candy Coated Lie.
It's a cozy mystery with two amateur female sleuths. One of the running themes in the book is the lies we tell to protect ourselves and those we care about. The book is a little darker than the usual cozy mystery and I don't think the title is conveying that. Doesn't much sound so menacing at all.
Help please,

message 2: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 13 comments The lies we tell.

I googled it and there is Lies We Tell but no "The Lies We Tell"

message 3: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 115 comments Too bad HBO took "Sweet little lies."

Absynthe is both sweet AND hallucinogenic (and green). So what about, "Absynthe Lies"? Or the converse, "Absynthe Truths," since you can't trust what you experience while on it. Or simply, "Green Lies"?

Or sticking to "sweet"...

Honey Lies
Candied Lies
Delicious Lies

Different...

Lies of Endearment
Lying for Love

message 4: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1122 comments Let's see, my suggestion is "Cold Dark Lies."

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray Simmons | 5 comments Actually, I like Candy Coated Lies. Especially if the main characters are young.

message 6: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 49 comments I actually like the title you have now. It has a rather sweet touch to it.

message 7: by Haru (new)

Haru Ichiban | 255 comments "Deadly Candy Coated Lies"?
"Candy Coated Deception"?

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 397 comments Lovely Little Lies

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin C Hensley I also think the current title does the job. Sounds sinister.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments I’d stick with your working title it’s original,and it has the feel,of coziness going off track somehow

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
I like a lot of suggestions you've been given, but not as much as your working title. I'd stick with it.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Thanks all.
1. I do like Lovely Little Lies. It does remind me of of Big Little Lies though.
2. Delicious Lies, sound more sexy than scary.
3. The two MCs are not young, but one is a baker. I was trying to relate it to food. It's not necessary for me that it relates to food.
4. Lies We Tell. If it's too close to another book, searching for the book would be problematic.

message 13: by Me (new)

Me | 1 comments Jill wrote: "Last time I tried this I gave way too much info and was accused of bookwhacking. If I did, sorry about that. I'm still in desperate need of a title for my book. The working title is - A Candy Coate..."

Protection Lies ?

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments Precarious Lies

A Mix Of Lies

This Little Lie Of Mine

message 15: by Frank (new)

Frank Linik | 10 comments Hi Jill,
Since you received so many good suggestions, I thought I'd come at it from a different perspective. I got feedback on my novel's title that people wouldn't know what the book is about; might even be academic. I really wanted that title so my beta readers suggested a subtitle. After a lot of work we came up with a subtitle that worked.

You might try that approach. Don't make your subtitle try to say everything. Go with the title that you like best and write a subtitle that gives potential readers more info about the story.

Good luck.

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Since the book is part of a mystery series, a subtitle is the name of the mystery series. So that might not work.

A Mix of Lies - Interesting!
This Little Lie of Mine - Kinda sounds like a sound title.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Since I have to deal with the book cover soon, I decided to keep the original title. Though all of the suggestions were good, they didn't quite fit. I'm hoping the book cover design can help with the slightly darker than cozy feel I want. I want to thank everyone for their help.

message 18: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
I think you made a good choice, Jill. If you're done taking suggestions, would you like me to close this thread for you?

message 19: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Short | 6 comments Anyone suggest just "Sweet Lies?"

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillbrock) | 77 comments Yes Dwayne,

Thanks, it was very helpful. You can close the thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.