Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter  (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Disappearance of Winter's Daughter [Dec 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6906 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J. Sullivan starting December 1, 2018.
The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (The Riyria Chronicles, #4) by Michael J. Sullivan

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
In!

Morena In!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot!

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1249 comments I'm in as well!

Arka (ruineleint) In

Allison Marie | 1 comments I’m in as well!

Arka (ruineleint) Starting?

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Starting?"

I have this on audio so I'll start as soon as I finish up with the audiobook I'm currently reading. :)

Tammie | 3827 comments I started a couple of days ago but haven't had time to read very much of it yet. I like it so far though.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Starting today. Been looking forward to this one.

Tammie | 3827 comments Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1603 comments I'm like a whole book behind.

These two are rereads though (Dulgath and this), but interesting because my first time through was with the beta. And I'm doing them on audio this time through.

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Chapter 12: (view spoiler)

Ginny: (view spoiler)

Bridge series: (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3827 comments Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Ginny: [spoilers removed]"

I'm with you about Ginny.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Just finished. It was enjoyable and I still love our boys, but it wasn't my favorite R&H book. I do love the different cultural details and the additional world building from this book.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am running late, but I will be back here in couple of days...

Tammie | 3827 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Just finished. It was enjoyable and I still love our boys, but it wasn't my favorite R&H book. I do love the different cultural details and the additional world building from this book."

I'm only partway through, but I worry about the potential/plan to write 12 books spanning the 12 years this series is covering (one per year) from when Riyria formed until when Riyria Revelations starts... considering the way so many of these books tie into the conspiracies and events of the other series, it's seems like it might stretch belief to a breaking point, after awhile...

I hope I'm wrong...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Just finished. It was enjoyable and I still love our boys, but it wasn't my favorite R&H book. I do love the different cultural details and the additional world building ..."

12 books for Chronicles? I thought Chronicles was already written and done. I thought all that's left ongoing in this world was Legends.

message 21: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 05, 2018 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Just finished. It was enjoyable and I still love our boys, but it wasn't my favorite R&H book. I do love the different cultural details and..."

Nah... Chronicles is a series that can potentially have 12 books, one for each year Riyria was a thing pre-Revelations... but MJS writes them based on the success of the previous Chronicle, and when he has time between other Riyria-related series... so it's more of a long-term thing... it's also why the books are more standalone... he doesn't want Royce & Hadrian to outstay their welcome, with the fans...

The 5th Riyria Chronicle is to be about the first time Royce and Hadrian broke into Drumindor (a pivotal location in the Revelations series)... but MJS won't have time to write it until he writes the Bridge series set 1000yrs ago... which I think he's doing now, in between Legends edits...

message 22: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Tammie wrote: "Chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

Same! I was outside, listening to this on the train, and I had this big grin on my face. The man opposite me kept on giving me nervous glances for the rest of the trip

message 23: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 11 chapters

Royce and Hadrian banter is the highlight of any Riyria book.

The more I read about this world, the more I realize how unbalanced it is (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Arkadeb wrote: "11 chapters..."

Arkadeb wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Chapter 7 [spoilers removed]" ..."

MJS is great at making the fun parts fun and the horrible parts horrible...

I'm nearing the end now, and things are turning out as I'd expect given the world situation, for the most part...

I kinda hope we don't eventually get a sequel series that shows us that Revelations didn't really make things any better... I prefer to imagine it did...

Tammie | 3827 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

Same! I was outside, listening to this on the train, and I had this big grin on my face. The man opposite me kept on giving me nervous glances for the ..."

Oh that's too funny!

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Chapter 26: SEE... (view spoiler)

Chapter 23: And here, too... speaking of the old landlord... (view spoiler)

Chapter 18-20: Hadrian being Hadrian... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Sometimes I feel pampered by fandom wikis like the Coppermind Wiki, and the great character guides kaeligha makes over at Wicked Scribes... when I can't find what I'm looking for there, I'm left with much less helpful online resources for lesser known series...

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm reading the audio and haven't been paying attention to the chapters, but I when I figure that out during my next listen, I am super excited to open everyone's spoilers and comment!

message 29: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 22 chapters done.

Ok wow did not expect an actual (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Arkadeb wrote: "22 chapters done..."

I think we heard this same story from Hadrian's perspective in a previous book... it sounded familiar...

message 31: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "22 chapters done..."

I think we heard this same story from Hadrian's perspective in a previous book... it sounded familiar..."

Yeah, but he tends to elide details whereas this one was a view of him from a third person perspective.

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just zoomed through half the book today - I am loving it!

I love Royce and Hadrian, but MJS sure knows how to make hilarious and compelling secondary characters - Evelyn Hemsworth is a hoot! (I'm at Ch21, but this happened before...I just can't remember when...) (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3827 comments Jenna wrote: "I just zoomed through half the book today - I am loving it!

I love Royce and Hadrian, but MJS sure knows how to make hilarious and compelling secondary characters - Evelyn Hemsworth is a hoot! (I'..."

OMG I thought that was so funny too!

Tammie | 3827 comments I loved the mention of Sherwood in chapter 21.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Tammie wrote: "I loved the mention of Sherwood in chapter 21."

Me too! Made me smile a little.

Tammie | 3827 comments Chapter 23 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammie wrote: "Chapter 23 [spoilers removed]"

Hahahahaha this was sooooo funny! (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3827 comments Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

Jenna wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I'm kinda sad to be all caught up...

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "I'm kinda sad to be all caught up...."

Me too.... :(

(view spoiler)

Tammie | 3827 comments Good theory Iain. I'm sad to be caught up too.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

Jenna wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"..."

At the end with the dog... I was super confused as to who the dog and owner were. I don't remember them at all. I need to hit up a summary thread somewhere.

Timelord Iain | 14681 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers removed]"

Jenna wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Finished! I loved it. It was such a fun read. [spoilers..."

The dog appeared in the middle of the book, as well, and Hadrian thought it looked familiar... but I don't remember it from the 3rd book, either... such a minor detail :)

message 45: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments Done. Liked it but can't decide whether I like this one more than Dulgath or not. Riyria seem to solve a lot of these cases incidentally, no? And have you noticed how they never steal anything?

I liked Genevieve and her devastating honesties...😂😂😂 altho' REVELATIONS 5 (view spoiler)

Re Messrs Baldwin, Grim and "The Hag"...😝😜😃
And it was so cool to see Royce so terrified of a little old lady...perhaps in the days when the world was young and little Satine wore ribbons on her pigtails she was once perhaps terrified of a Nonna, just like so...😂😂😂
Haaahahaaaaauuuuurrrkkk...*imaginary cackle tapers and dies as damb squib* somehow this is too hard to picture.
The Old Gel ever being afraid of anyone.
Huh!

Ch 21
(view spoiler)

Ch 27
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments @Lannister...for you...to kick your reading slump in the fruits + makes thread look nice and festive!
(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Zaara wrote: "Done. Liked it but can't decide whether I like this one more than Dulgath or not. Riyria seem to solve a lot of these cases incidentally, no? And have you noticed how they never steal anything?

I ..."

Good catch. I forgot she was in later books. Now I feel like I need to reread Revelations.

message 48: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1603 comments Zaara wrote: "@Lannister...for you...to kick your reading slump in the fruits + makes thread look nice and festive!

It is an old-fashioned Yule Log, Chris. I know your nbrhood must have lost a lot of homes and ..."

Zaara, I'm just now seeing this. Such a sweet compilation, thank you ♥

As part of my slump, I never made it around to rereading this, so didn't check the thread. Sorry I missed it, but it made me smile today....