Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
This topic is about The Death of Dulgath
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Death of Dulgath [Nov 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7202 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Death of Dulgath by Michael J. Sullivan starting November 1, 2018.
The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan

Tammie | 3983 comments I started this a little early since I've got another buddy read starting on November 1st as well.

Tammie | 3983 comments The opening paragraph had me chuckling already.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1683 comments I don't know. I do have this lined up on audio, but I've barely listened to book 2. This month has just been nuts and my reading took a huge hit.

But, I've read it before (and loved it). If I get my audio-mojo going again I should be able to plow right through and catch up.

Andorion (ruineleint) In for this

message 6: by Tammie (last edited Oct 31, 2018 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammie | 3983 comments For those who didn't like the jumping between different points of view in the last book, you will be happy that this book is all about Royce and Hadrian on a job. Some of the scenes are just great! (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1261 comments Tammie wrote: "For those who didn't like the jumping between different points of view in the last book, you will be happy that this book is all about Royce and Hadrian on a job. Some of the scenes are just great!..."

Oh yeah, in that scene it's all about her reactions to him. In both cases actually, although they are so different.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Starting this one tonight

message 9: by Tammie (last edited Nov 01, 2018 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammie | 3983 comments I finished this last night and I loved it, especially since I read the Legends of the First Empire books first. That mural! (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1261 comments Tammie wrote: "I finished this last night and I loved it, especially since I read the Legends of the First Empire books first. That mural! [spoilers removed]"

I know! Having not read Legends yet, when I got to the mural part I was so intrigued! I just KNEW that it was rife with meaning, but wasn't familiar with any of the figures or scenes portrayed in it. I'll have to go back to read that bit again after Legends.

The mural aside, I really like how this one functions as a standalone. This could be your first Riyria book and you'd not miss much. It makes me think: I wonder if anyone has picked up this volume as their first, and what their impressions were?

Andorion (ruineleint) 2 and a half chapters done.

The first chapter was utterly hilarious

Melissa | 1261 comments Arkadeb wrote: "2 and a half chapters done.

The first chapter was utterly hilarious"

Some of my favorite scenes are just of Royce and Hadrian bantering while they travel. Followed by Royce and Hadrian bantering while they are in the middle of a sticky situation.

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments 10 chapters in and lovin' it like everyone else...

Beste | 1163 comments Melissa wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "2 and a half chapters done.

Some of my favorite scenes are just of Royce and Hadrian bantering while they travel. Followed by Royce and H..."

And when they are not ?... :))))

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Melissa wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I finished this last night and I loved it, especially since I read the Legends of the First Empire books first. That mural! [spoilers removed]"

I know! Having not read Legends yet, ..."

In my audiobook there's a forward by the author. He actually talks about this one being able to stand alone and so if you haven't read any other books you could totally start here.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Melissa wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "2 and a half chapters done.

Some of my favorite scenes are just of Royce and Hadrian bantering while they travel. Followed by Royce and H..."

Their relationship is always my favorite part of all these books.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I think I'm at chapter 9 right now. I'm really loving the painter and am intrigued by the Countess. Enjoying myself so far.

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "2 and a half chapters done.

Some of my favorite scenes are just of Royce and Hadrian bantering while they travel. Followe..."

Royce is like the cynical reader, and Hadrian is the trainwreck we can't take our eyes off of... (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm not sure where I am. About 50%ish. Royce just questioned Sherwood and is now questioning Lady Dulgath. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments And I bet the painting (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) 9 chapters done.

Slightly puzzled. This around a third into the book and so far it looks like the cards are mostly on the table...

Lady Dulgath is a fascinating character. I wonder if she will survive...

Also I have realized I don't want Scarlet to die. Something about that cottage and her love for cooking.

Melissa | 1261 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I think I'm at chapter 9 right now. I'm really loving the painter and am intrigued by the Countess. Enjoying myself so far."

I love Sherwood as well. The idea that he can see through to a person's true self and depict it is a beautiful concept. I would read a book just about him and his travels.

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments I am about 65% in and I am enjoying it, as I do most of his books. The artist's paintings are an awesome idea. I like his character a lot! But I still love the most Hadrian and his faith in humanity 🤗

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Melissa wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I think I'm at chapter 9 right now. I'm really loving the painter and am intrigued by the Countess. Enjoying myself so far."

I love Sherwood as well. The idea that he ca..."

Kinda reminds me of The Emperor's Soul

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Nov 03, 2018 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments I finished this this morning... this was the best Chronicle to date... I'd rank them

3 > 1 >> 2

I really liked the side POVs in this one, more than the last one... and the Easter Eggs... (Legend of the First Empire spoiler/speculation) (view spoiler) (terrible phonetic spellings about in that spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Yes, I normally only want to read about Hadrian and Royce and barely tolerate the side characters but in this one I loved all the side character chapters just as much. I'm at about 80%. Hoping to finish today.

Tammie | 3983 comments Iain regarding your spoiler about LotFE, I wondered the same thing.

Andorion (ruineleint) 17 chapters done.

(view spoiler)

I have to say Sullivan has improved so radically as an author. The person who wrote Theft of Swords could never have written Sherwood or Lady Dulgath. He has improved greatly in use of language as well as conveying the interconnectedness of the world.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Finished last night. Loved all of the side characters. Solid 4.5-5 stars.

Tammie | 3983 comments Arkadeb wrote: "17 chapters done.

(view spoiler)

Christopher is the standard dastardly noble Sullivan villain. I wond..."

Regarding your spoiler - I agree that made me so sad.

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Tammie wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "17 chapters done.

(view spoiler)

Regarding your spoiler - I agree that made me so sad."

The painting makes it even worse...

message 32: by Tammie (last edited Nov 04, 2018 06:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammie | 3983 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "The painting makes it even worse..."

..."

Yes it does. :(

Andorion (ruineleint) I finished this.

Ok. This book goes from funny to sad to tragic to creepy.

(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Arkadeb wrote: "I finished this.

[spoilers removed]"

I like that it answers (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "I finished this.

[spoilers removed]"

I like that it answers [spoilers removed]"

Yes! That was a major addition to the worldbuilding element, but it does raise a question about Age of Myth (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "I finished this.

[spoilers removed]"

I like that it answers [spoilers removed]"

Yes! That ..."

It's probably a case of (view spoiler)

message 37: by Melissa (last edited Nov 07, 2018 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa | 1261 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kinda reminds me of The Emperor's Soul" Melissa wrote: "I love Sherwood as well. The..."

One of my favorites! No wonder I love his character. :)

Melissa | 1261 comments Arkadeb wrote: "17 chapters done.

Poor Sherwood. He really didn't have much hope. And after his easel and paints had been restored as well.

I agree that the worldbuilding felt much more complete in this one. However, I think part of its lack in his earlier books was by design. I've heard him discuss not wanting to reveal too much, but then early readers not picking up on a reveal in Revelations Book 6 that he planted in Book 2. (view spoiler) Then after revising, wondering if reading the series back-to-back would make things too obvious.

I think knowing how much of the world to reveal is difficult. The first two Chronicles for example I think suffered for first time readers because so much was held back to prevent spoiling Revelations. Because this was an independent adventure, I think there were fewer obstacles to avoid and that freedom shows.

message 39: by Zaara (last edited Nov 09, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Started. This Sullivan dude...just gets better and more assured with each book. I've rarely seen a more perceptible WAXING of an author's powers.
I'm 3 chapters in.

Mild Series To Date Spoils
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Zaara (last edited Nov 09, 2018 12:15AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Laughed out loud at the Two Man Tessie in CH 3
(view spoiler)
Still chucklin'...😄😄

CH 6 and I still don't know who(m) to suspect. Does anyone have any ideas or find any himts and clues? O well, I suppose they will tell us soon..
Stopping here tonite.

Aaaand obviously I didn't stop bcuz
CH 9
(view spoiler)

Btw Sullivan's descriptions of Dulgath and Maranon in this book...there's no other word for it...they have panache. Man has become sooooo smmoooth. Wtf! Thanks be I didn't ditch this author purely on the basis of the so-so Theft of Swords. Thank God I listened to everyone here and continued.

message 41: by Zaara (last edited Nov 09, 2018 12:16AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Very small and minor cribbing
Getting a bit irritated with all this manly sabre rattling abt the enigmatism of Royce Melborm. Lines like this abound...
"Royce wasn’t so much a closed book as one that was chained shut, locked in a box, and thrown into the sea."

While this kinda thing may be needed for new entrants to the series, us old lags are squirming by now bcuz this is already the third time and I am only 120 pages into the book.

We get it, ok Mike? Royce = Hood. Creepy silences. Depths unexplored. Trust deficit. Do not faint at all this Ultimate "Man"ness in a small menacing package.
Oh-kay!

Getting a bit spooked by the (view spoiler)

message 42: by Zaara (last edited Nov 09, 2018 12:18AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Hi Melissa! Finally we are reading again together....

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Melissa wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "17 chapters done.

Poor Sherwood. He really didn't have much hope. And after his easel and paints had been restored as well.

Christopher is the standard dastardly noble Sullivan..."

I wonder how much of it also had to do with having written the Legend of the First Empire books, and having more fleshed out history to build from?...

message 44: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Thru Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Non-spoiler quote for y'all...
“What else is there to hope for with any art? To capture not just truth but a truth worthy of display, one that provides comfort, joy, or understanding, and moves the heart or makes it pause.”

Can't wait to read more of this tonight...soon I can open all the spoilers....

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments The sculptures feed into a theory at the end of the book... important to remember...

message 46: by Zaara (last edited Nov 10, 2018 08:21AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "The sculptures feed into a theory at the end of the book... important to remember..."

Mmm. Will do.

CH 17
(view spoiler)

CH 20
(view spoiler)
Can't stop reading nowwww....

@Lannister you HAVE to come read this book, mate. Don't get discouraged by the bleakness/non-fun-ness of Rose and the Crown. Btw I liked parts of it (R&tC) but not as much as this and I understand its not for everyone...if yous finding it hard...here is some siscouragement: just power thru Book 2 for the sake of getting to Dulgath.

Timelord Iain | 15507 comments Zaara wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "The sculptures feed into a theory at the end of the book... important to remember..."

Mmm. Will do.

CH 17...

Have you read Legend of the First Empire?... the theory is more about connecting dots across series...

message 48: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments Nope. But deffo plan to. And I'll remember this at that time, I reckon.

message 49: by Zaara (last edited Nov 10, 2018 11:52AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4188 comments CH 21
(view spoiler)

Finished the book just now.
Too slleepy to comment anything much more except this was a great Chronicle and a very exciting finish and (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1261 comments Yay Zaara glad you liked it! Good to be in on the same buddy read again. Oh, and I like that quote about art and truth. :)

(Haha, and yeah, I wouldn't say no to Hadrian/Scarlett having a night of passion. I figure there is plenty of time before Revelations for Hadrian to have some romantic escapades.)

« previous 1