Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
This topic is about The Rose and the Thorn
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Rose and the Thorn [Oct 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6905 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J. Sullivan starting October 1, 2018.
The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2) by Michael J. Sullivan

Arka (ruineleint) In

Chris  (haughtc) | 1602 comments Just picked this up on Audible for $6.95 as part of a 48 hour sale.

Tammie | 3822 comments I'm in for this one.

message 5: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments Here

Chris  (haughtc) | 1602 comments I started a few minutes ago, on audio. Even with an early start I figure it will take most of the month to get through it.

message 7: by Melissa (last edited Oct 01, 2018 01:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa | 1248 comments I read this earlier this month, but will enjoy following along.

Similar to the The Crown Tower, I love in the first chapter as familiar characters are revealed. The Pickering brothers are pretty much exactly as I'd imagined. It's interesting to see these younger selves, for better or for worse, before all the character growth and development that happens in Revelations.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Starting this tomorrow.

Beste | 1163 comments After reading this I seriously think that it is like LOTR. The Hobbit has been cast aside because of the LOTR but that story was written before.
I don't think the Revelations was written before the chronicles. Every little detail about Gwen, Pickerings and others it feels impossible to gather all in such way in Revelations. If Sullivan did that, it must have been really hard on him :)

message 10: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments Nah...he wrote Chronicles AFTER Revelations.
Starting tonight. I already read the opening few pages with Reuben.
:-)))
To whoever thought of the "Rose" prediction from last book...yeah....good point! Let's see what happems.

message 11: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 4 chapters done.

To be perfectly honest, while I adore the Royce and Hadrian portions, the other stuff is irritating.

Tammie | 3822 comments I planned on starting this today but I'm still reading something else. Hopefully tomorrow!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments Arkadeb wrote: "4 chapters done.

To be perfectly honest, while I adore the Royce and Hadrian portions, the other stuff is irritating."

I love Royce and Hadrian but i like Hilfred's chapters, too. I really like him.

message 14: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 7 chapters done.

Yes, the narrative arcs are converging and I am enjoying this much more.

message 15: by Zaara (last edited Oct 04, 2018 06:00AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments CH 4 The Ghost 😁 of the High Tower
(view spoiler)

I think I know what's coming...REVELATIONS SPOILERS/END OF CHAPTER 4 SPPOILERY GUESS (view spoiler)

CH 12 + some Revelations talk
(view spoiler)

CH 13...Dunwoodie...🍻🍻🍻...😝
+ this non-spoilery Winslow quote...nice to see more of him by the way...
“He marveled at the shifting of the world, at fortunes shuffled by the whims of gods who were clearly insane.
Am I the only one to see the truth of it? Or is everyone thinking the same and keeping their mouths shut?”

Thru 65% only 80-odd pages left. I'll probably finish this tonight.

Melissa | 1248 comments Zaara wrote: "CH 12 + some Revelations talk..."

Chapter 12 (The Crown Tower spoilers) (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3907 comments I thought of the hair brushes in that scene, too. They also said in Revelations (view spoiler)

message 18: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Right.

I finished it, enjoyed it, though I hadn't noticed all the Revelations connections.

What Sullivan does and does well is to turn things dark very fast
(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14666 comments Melissa wrote: "I read this earlier this month, but will enjoy following along.

Similar to the The Crown Tower, I love in the first chapter as familiar characters are revealed. The Pickering brothers are pretty m..."

I remembered the Pickerings more than Reuben... I had my suspicions about Reuben, but finally just google'd to make sure I was supposed to know him and I was...

I only just started, up to Chapter 4...

Timelord Iain | 14666 comments Arkadeb wrote: "4 chapters done.

To be perfectly honest, while I adore the Royce and Hadrian portions, the other stuff is irritating."

I agree... I just wanted to see Royce & Hadrian, and that first chapter dragged on forever... that kind of happens with all the books tho, even in Revelations...

message 21: by Tammie (last edited Oct 05, 2018 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3822 comments I'm in chapter 3 right now and I actually really love reading about all the characters. Especially how Arista and Hilfred meet. Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't read the Riyria Revelations yet. (view spoiler) I'm also enjoying this a lot from the perspective of having read Legends of the First Empire and The Riyria Revelations first. The references to both past and future are nice.

Melissa | 1248 comments Tammie wrote: "I'm in chapter 3 right now and I actually really love reading about all the characters. Especially how Arista and Hilfred meet. Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't read the Riyria Revel..."

I loved at the end of the scene when Arista wanting to ride out offhandedly says, (view spoiler) (Not sure if that warrants a spoiler, since it doesn't spoil anything in the book itself, but it was a cute little reveal for those who read Revelations.)

Tammie, I haven't read the Legends series yet, and now I'm curious about what references there are to the past that I missed. In the Death of Dulgath there are more overt references that piqued my interest, but I didn't notice them in the first two Chronicles. Could you put them in a spoiler tag to check out later? That is, if you remember them.

Tammie | 3822 comments Melissa wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I'm in chapter 3 right now and I actually really love reading about all the characters. Especially how Arista and Hilfred meet. Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't read t..."

I loved that too! As for the references they were just small things. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14666 comments Tammie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Tammie wrote: "I'm in chapter 3 right now and I actually really love reading about all the characters. Especially how Arista and Hilfred meet. Don't read the following spoiler if yo..."

I'm always on the lookout for the guy (view spoiler) who's wandering the world doing good deeds for cloak feathers... (view spoiler)

message 25: by Tammie (last edited Oct 06, 2018 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammie | 3822 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm always on the lookout for the guy (view spoiler) who's wandering the world doing good deeds for cloak feathers..."

Me too!

Timelord Iain | 14666 comments Finished... this was probably my least favorite Riyria book of the bunch... I just wasn't in the mood for a dark, depressing book... (view spoiler)

I really liked the last 20%, tho (view spoiler)

Bad Guys: (view spoiler)

Hopefully the next book focuses on Royce & Hadrian more...

message 27: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments Done. Is there even a point of posting this now that everybody finished?
@Stormblessed...and also C.P. i know you're following comments on Riyria threads....
Its clever & Riyria is ALWAYS very likeable :-)))) but I can't help thinking the Chronicles are somehow suborned to the Revelations....that instead of being little gems of Royce N Haddy adventure stories AS THE MAIN POINT...Sullivan actually seems to work MORE towards tying threads and adding depth to Revelations than anything. Hope this gradually changes, startimg with Dulgath, now that he's given us enough Revelations Easter Eggs.

Chapter 14-16 ('at the time' of reading thoughts)
(view spoiler)

Ch 18 onward
(view spoiler)

FULLBOOK + REVELATIONS FULLSERIES
Liked the...(view spoiler)

WISH: I also hope we get a Black Diamond prequel book too, kinda want to see the younger "Jewel" and also Marius.

Tammie | 3822 comments I just finished last night. Overall I really liked everything about this book. I enjoyed reading about all of the characters and seeing how they all met each other and how it all began. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14666 comments @Zaara: I'm hoping we get more Royce/Hadrian in future books (view spoiler)

message 30: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments Yep...reckon everyone on the thread is hoping for this, whether or not they've read Revelations.

Melissa | 1248 comments The next one follows Royce and Hadrian more closely on their adventure, so I think you'll get your wish.

I enjoyed the other scenes however. The frog catching bit for example. Or in the end with Hilfred (view spoiler) Then again, I always had a soft spot for Hilfred.

message 32: by Zaara (last edited Oct 14, 2018 01:58PM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4090 comments @Tammie...@Mel.....yeah....felt those same things. Sorry for the late reply Tammie, I only saw you addressed me inside the spoiler now.

Hilfred fleshed out a lot more in this one but he never really seemed fully ALIVE to me...there's this incorporeal...insubstantial quality...I dunno, for me he never grew beyond a FOIL for Arista...I guess Royce and Hadrian throw too long a shadow....in the male dept. even the main villain in revelations...(view spoiler)
Maybe this will change when I read Age of....