Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Crown Tower
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Crown Tower [Sep 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7418 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan starting September 1, 2018.
The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments I'll join. It's a reread for me but I have an audiobook I want to listen to.

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa | 1266 comments In as well!

I'm so glad there is more Riyria to help me through my Revelations withdrawal. (My brain knew there was more, but I got misty at The End all the same.)

I started laughing out loud right from the author's note.

"My wife-let's call her Robin (because that's her name)- has developed an infatuation for Hadrian Blackwater. I'm not sure how I feel able enabling my wife's relationship with another man, but at least I know this guy is trustworthy."
*high fives Robin for convincing her husband to write more*

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Melissa wrote: "In as well!

I'm so glad there is more Riyria to help me through my Revelations withdrawal. (My brain knew there was more, but I got misty at The End all the same.)

I started laughing out loud ri..."

Haha that's excellent!! 😅

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Melissa wrote: "In as well!

I started laughing out loud ri..."

Lol, I love that

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I forgot about this...oops

Andorion (ruineleint) 3 chapters done. Great introduction to Hadrian so far.

I am getting this mental image of him being the (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Starting this later tonight...

Andorion (ruineleint) 7 chapters done.

Ok so that took a dark turn....

Andorion (ruineleint) 10 chapters and at last!

Beste | 1163 comments I finished. I've to say, the first half of the book was mehhh.
Gwen parts were mehh as well. Only after Royce and Hadrian got together the story started becoming interesting.
(view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) 13 chapters.

Royce is extremely Royce. Very very hardcore.

This book has so many hints for Revelations! I am spotting them everywhere.

So far I actually like this book more than Revelations.

Melissa | 1266 comments Started finally last night and 9 chapters done. I find this first volume going faster than the first in Revelations. The Crown Conspiracy had me guessing motives which was interesting too in its own way. But here because I'm already invested in the characters, the anticipation is buzzing to see familiar faces appear and interact. I'm loving the little Easter Egg references to Revelations.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Just finally started it today. Hope to have more input tomorrow.

Loriidae | 293 comments I have started as well. Part way through chapter 3. The audio is ok.

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments Arkadeb wrote: "13 chapters.

Royce is extremely Royce. Very very hardcore.

This book has so many hints for Revelations! I am spotting them everywhere.

So far I actually like this book more than Revelations."

I believe a while back Michael was asked if he'd ever do a book on Royce's past. If I recall, his answer was that it might a bit too hardcore.

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Up to Ch 6... I love getting to know Gwen. This life of hers and the other girls is just... Horrifying!

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Ch. 7... (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch 6... I love getting to know Gwen. This life of hers and the other girls is just... Horrifying!"

I agree. I'm actually enjoying her chapters.

message 22: by Loriidae (last edited Sep 03, 2018 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Loriidae | 293 comments Choko wrote: "Ch. 7... [spoilers removed]" (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1266 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch 6... I love getting to know Gwen. This life of hers and the other girls is just... Horrifying!"

Same here. I'm really glad to get more of Gwen's story. Her introduction is horrifying, but seeing her strength of character firsthand shows why Royce and Hadrian have such respect for her. I can't wait to see how they meet.

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Loriidae, we do find out a bit later😀

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Diana and Melissa, exactly! I constantly think, goodness, how are the girls going to get out of the mess that asshole is planning for them and my only hope is our guys somehow appearing just in the nick of time... That is my hope anyway...

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Up to Ch. 14... Gosh, Hadrian is so much like me! I used to say all the things that could get me in trouble juat in a friendly conversation and not even notice... I can't lie for anything 😊

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Ch. 14.... Noooooo! Not (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm about half way. (view spoiler)

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm about half way. [spoilers removed]"

I'm guessing you read Revelations first? (view spoiler)

Andorion (ruineleint) Almost done.

So this is how Hadrian brings Royce over. Impressive

Andorion (ruineleint) Choko wrote: "Ch. 14.... Noooooo! Not [spoilers removed]"

Exactly! I really liked (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments So, I finished and I really enjoyed it! The only thing I can say is, what a sneaky tricky Professor we have on our hands¡!😯

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Adrian wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm about half way. [spoilers removed]"

I'm guessing you read Revelations first? [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I read revelations first.. I can see how the experience would be way different if you read them a different order.

message 34: by Loriidae (last edited Sep 04, 2018 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Loriidae | 293 comments This is my first Sullivan book I'm at the end of chapter 14. It's sort of fallen off the rails for me. The tavern scene talking ales really dragged. The story feels rather forced like these characters had to come together at certain places in order to make future stories work. I wasn't sure when starting whether to read in published order or chronological order. I find it is a very talented writer that brings characters together naturally and ties into events that have already occurred. it all seems rather flimsy the professors reasoning for putting them together so unless that becomes more it's yeah falling into a bit of a heap. I completely skipped the author's introduction in case it was too spoilerish maybe that is an issue to my reasoning, plus I dislike reading out of chronological order. :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Loriidae wrote: "This is my first Sullivan book I'm at the end of chapter 14. It's sort of fallen off the rails for me. The tavern scene talking ales really dragged. The story feels rather forced like these charact..."

I agree (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I finished. While I enjoyed it, (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments I agree with both of you. It just doesn't stand well on its own, but fits right in with the other series... I guess this is why I enjoyed the girls story most...

Melissa | 1266 comments Aw! I finished Chapter 14 and (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1266 comments Finished chapter 18 with a terrible sense of foreboding. (view spoiler)

Melissa | 1266 comments Oh, btw after finishing I unapologetically went on to start The Rose and the Thorn. I'll see about popping my head into that thread as well when it comes up.

I can totally see how reading this first without having the Revelations back(fore-)story would be less appealing. I think Sullivan was very careful about not including any spoilers, but as a result the motivations are weakened without that frame of reference.

Loriidae | 293 comments Melissa wrote: "Oh, btw after finishing I unapologetically went on to start The Rose and the Thorn. I'll see about popping my head into that thread as well when it comes up.

I can totally see how reading this fir..."

That makes sense thanks

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Hhhjmmm, when do we start the next one?

Loriidae | 293 comments October 1

Choko (chokog) | 6718 comments Cool! Thank you 😊

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I kept forgetting about this... probably because it's jumbled in the Master List as if it's in the middle of September... I'll join super late I guess... too late for bonus points but oh well...

Jackie I'm reading this one, halfway through, and enjoying it. It's great to read about Hadrian and Royce again.

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I kept forgetting about this... probably because it's jumbled in the Master List as if it's in the middle of September... I'll join super late I guess... too late for bonus points but oh well..."

Don't worry over being late. I'm actually super early in that I read it years ago. It's a great book either way.

Melissa | 1266 comments Oh yeah I also got confused for a moment trying to find it in the Master List the first time. For those reading the book currently, I'd be glad to hear what you think.

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments This was more a case of me being scatterbrained lately... in one ear and out the other... I talked about this book to Siobhan a few weeks ago when she changed her BR tracker name...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Yeah, I should probably change the name of my tracker again because I definitely don't have time to read this 🙈 :'(

« previous 1