Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
This topic is about A Torch Against the Night
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Torch Against the Night [Aug 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir starting August 15, 2018.
A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
Just as an FYI (meaning you don't need to change a thing about what you're doing), if you schedule the whole series out in your request, it gets it's own folder and a spot on the series list. Otherwise it ends up in the "onsies" folder. Just in case you were wondering why it's still in the stand alone folder even though you're reading the series. :)

I really need to get to this one...

Gemma ✨  a bookish blether (abookishblether) | 7 comments This is high on my TBR! I'm looking forward to it.

message 4: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Just finished the first two chapters. This one starts just where the last one left off, straight into the action.

message 5: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 6: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I'm hopefully going to make a start tomorrow. Need to progress a few of my current books a bit more!

Gemma ✨  a bookish blether (abookishblether) | 7 comments I've read the first 4 chapters, and it's been a good start to the book. Intrigued to see what comes next.

message 9: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Gemma wrote: "I've read the first 4 chapters, and it's been a good start to the book. Intrigued to see what comes next."

Me too! I'm kind of scared to read on!

message 10: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Can you girls belive that I completely forgot about this one?!
Duh! I'll start it today.

message 12: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments You'll overtake me in no time Laura!

message 13: by Charlie (last edited Aug 17, 2018 05:48AM) (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 22 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I still haven't got time to even start! :'( going to be crazy busy for a few days too.

message 16: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments No worries hun. You'll enjoy it when you do, it's excellent!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I'm catching up Charlie. Reading chapter 20 right now. Will open all your spoilers in half an hour's time.

message 18: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I hope you're enjoying it Laura, I really am!

Chapter 33 - This is getting really dark (view spoiler)

I've mostly read this in physical form but I've listened to a few chapters on audio too and I'm really enjoying it. Which is a big surprise for me because I'm not an audio fan at all.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Charlie wrote: "chapter 4 [spoilers removed]"

I was also wondering about that. It didn't really make sense. Unless she wants him to (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Charlie wrote: "chapter 5 [spoilers removed]"

I think (view spoiler)

message 21: by Laura (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 10 ."

I don't really love Helene. I like her but not love her. I'm sorry (view spoiler)

Edited to remove the darn spoiler. Sorry again. :(

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 22 .."

Intense intense. I agree. :)
I love the world but I'm not head over the heels with either of the characters right now. Elias, Helene and Laia, they all have quirks that I don't particularly like. They are by far not so well written as others. Or perhaps I've been reading to much 'great prose-great plot-great characters' books lately that this one feels a bit like a let-down.

message 23: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Laura wrote: ""

I don't really love Helene. I like her but not love her. I'm sorry [spoilers removed]"

He did what?! (view spoiler)

message 24: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments For some reason Laia's chapters are boring me. Which is a surprise because I really liked her in book 1. I just prefer Helene at this point, I'm super invested in her story.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I've given all three books in the series 5*'s. I agree with some of the plot and character flaws but for me the biggest thing is can the author draw empathy out of me? It's very important because even with series I love it's not easy to do. It's the reason I love Malazan so much as well, or the #1 reason.

Helene of the big three is the easiest to like.

message 26: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Scott wrote: "Helene of the big three is the easiest to like."

She really is. I can feel her struggle and I just want to give her a hug and tell her everything will be okay!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments @Charlie - damn it. Ramblings - please don't bother. Sorry sorry about that. I'm gonna delete that part of the comment to not spoil it for everyone else.

Really sorry again. I'll pay more attention next time.
I'm finished by now

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Scott wrote: "I've given all three books in the series 5*'s. I agree with some of the plot and character flaws but for me the biggest thing is can the author draw empathy out of me? It's very important because e..."

The world is great and the action fantastic and I really didn't feel like setting it down. And in between the 3 of them, Helene is the most likeable one. I agree.

message 29: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 42!!!! I'm scared to read on!!! (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Don't wanna scare you sweety but it only gets grimmer and darker from now on.

message 31: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments You're right!

Chapter 45 :'( (view spoiler)

message 32: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 53 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Chapter 53 (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Ok. So now that you finished it too I can ppst without spoiling. :D

My issues with this book and why it was just a 3 instead of 5

Laia (view spoiler)

Elias (view spoiler)

There were way too many loose ends in the end also. I get it that there is a next book but still, a little bit of closure.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I'm up to chapter 9. It's OK, but I'm not really feeling it yet. Kinda tempted to put it down... But since I'm stubborn I probably won't haha.

I'm not particularly interested in anyone's POV right now, but if I had to choose one it would be Helene.

message 36: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Laura wrote: "Ok. So now that you finished it too I can ppst without spoiling. :D

My issues with this book and why it was just a 3 instead of 5

I completely agree with what you said about Laia. It just didn't seem consistent for her character to act that way.

I really like Elias so I just ignore all his problems!

@Siobhan it really does get better! Helene was my favourite all the way through, I think it's worth reading just for her parts. What do you think about her having to (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments Thanks Charlie. I think (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 11 [spoilers removed]"

I really want to find out (view spoiler)

Other than that, my thoughts are, blah, blah, blah, love triangle.

message 39: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Haha ignore Laia's indecisiveness!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments It's kinda hard to ignore! XD

message 41: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Read it for Helene, honestly I just loved her story.

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Read it for Helene, honestly I just loved her story."

Same, same!
Laia was boring and Elias was indecisive as me when I try to pack my bag before holidays.

Beste | 1163 comments (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Read it for Helene, honestly I just loved her story."

Same, same!
Laia was boring and Elias was indecisive as me when I try to pack my bag before holidays."

Haha 😂 I will keep reading for Helene! I'm about half way through now so will definitely finish it. I don't hate it, just not grabbing me.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I agree with Laura on the reasons it's 3 stars.

Also I was bored by most of the journey and took a long time for me to get into it and feel interested. Definite middle book syndrome. It was good by the end, but nowhere near as good as book 1 for me.

message 46: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I'm hoping book 3 redeems itself since I really loved the first.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments Yes, same! I'll definitely continue.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Same here. :)