Gail Carriger Fan Group discussion

A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
This topic is about A Duke by Default
Coop de Book Group > August 2018: A Duke by Default by Alyssa Cole

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (Skye's Scribblings) (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
August 2018's Coop de Book is A Duke by Default by Alyssa Cole! For more information about the book, click the cover above.

Check out what Gail's already saying about it here.

Let's discuss! Please note where in the book you are (either finished or the page/chapter you're on) at the start of your comment so if someone isn't that far yet they can avoid possible spoilers, thank you!

message 2: by Gail (last edited Aug 14, 2018 08:10AM) (new)

Gail Carriger (gail_carriger) | 103 comments OK so I am about 30% through this book and I have to say I'm not really loving it. In fact, I'm not even really liking it. Pretty disappointed, as I am finding it dull more than anything. Nothing is *wrong* with it, the chemistry between the characters is fine, it's just a bit boring. I was hoping for something snappier, more witty, more funny, just MORE.

Might be a DNF for me.

Anyone else feel the same, or really liking it? Does it get better? Should I skim to the sex scene? Am I being to hard on a contemporary romance?

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail Carriger (gail_carriger) | 103 comments Oh and the part with the Ren Faire really upset me, all the vocabulary is wrong! It's a bodice not a corset, and not matter which it's laces not strings. And yeah, if he'd been working that Faire for any length of time he would know the correct words.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat | 3 comments Gail wrote: "OK so I am about 30% through this book and I have to say I'm not really loving it. In fact, I'm not even really liking it. Pretty disappointed, as I am finding it dull more than anything. Nothing i..."

I've definitely been struggling through this one. I've never been the hugest romance fan though so I tend to allot a lot of my struggle to that. But it has felt very boring in comparison to others that I've read and others that I've enjoyed.

I think overall I'm disappointed that I really have nothing to say about it at all. I enjoy talking books and I just can't find something to say. :(

message 5: by Gail (last edited Aug 24, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Gail Carriger (gail_carriger) | 103 comments Kat wrote: "Gail wrote: "OK so I am about 30% through this book and I have to say I'm not really loving it. In fact, I'm not even really liking it. Pretty disappointed, as I am finding it dull more than anythi..."

EXACTLY. I'm pretty mad actually, since the author was touted so highly. It feels like a waste. I wonder too, if it's just that I never read contemporary romance but there had been ones int he past that I have read and enjoyed. All in all a solid MEH.