Public Domain Readers discussion

For the Moderators > Mod Discussions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lanelle (last edited Aug 06, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Lanelle | 359 comments Mod
Here's a proposed schedule for the rest of this year and 2019:

August (S) - Dear Enemy with PDR and L. E. a D. s.
September (L) - read a book by G.K. Chesterton
October (L) - horror genre
November (S) - group read for PDR
December (S) - a theme/genre/author

January (L) - a book published in 1919
February (L) - My Lady Caprice
March (S) - a theme/genre/author
April (S) - group read for PDR
May (L) - streets, roads, and lanes
June (L) - The Fifth String
July (S) - a theme/genre/author
August (S) - group read for PDR
September (L) - title starts with 'S'
October (L) - In the Closed Room
November (S) - a theme/genre/author
December (S) - group read for PDR

message 2: by Lanelle (new)

Is Dear Enemy a buddy read or a group read? I thought we were reading it as a group. Either way is fine with me. If Dear Enemy is not a group read, will you be coming up with a theme, genre or author for August?

By the way, if you like my proposed schedule, feel free to copy and paste it into your own post. If we go with the schedule, I plan on editing it with ideas and books to read on my months.

message 3: by Sawako (new)

Sawako | 480 comments Mod
Lanelle wrote: "Is Dear Enemy a buddy read or a group read? I thought we were reading it as a group. Either way is fine with me. If Dear Enemy is not a group read, will you be comin..."

We don't have a group read thread. So, I'm going to add one.

Okay, I'll copy and paste it here at first. And maybe we'll add a new thread with the final scheduled ideas. We'll call it (not a final title) Our books for 2019

Also, I would like to add the Nomination thread for future Group/Monthly read.

message 4: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "We don't have a group read thread. So, I'm going to add one.

Okay, I'll copy and paste it here at first. And maybe we'll add a new thread with the final scheduled ideas. We'll call it (not a final title) Our books for 2019

Also, I would like to add the Nomination thread for future Group/Monthly read. "

Sounds good. Are you going to make an announcement about the group read taking the place of the monthly themed read?

message 5: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Sounds good. Are you going to make an announcement about the group read taking the place of the monthly themed read?"

Yes, I'll send a message tomorrow.

I actually want to delete the points and the winner thread and change it with the 'Nomination thread'. Also, if you don't mind I would like to copy and paste the Nomination thread from L. E. a D. s. group.

What do you think?

message 6: by Sawako (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:50PM) (new)

Here's my schedule so far. I'll edit it later, I need to think of a theme for November 2019.

August (Sawako) - Dear Enemy with PDR and L. E. a D. s.
September (Lanelle) - read a book by G.K. Chesterton
October (Lanelle) - horror genre (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
November (Sawako) - group read for PDR
December (Sawako) - Book from your To Be Read List (L. E. a D. s. is taking a group read break)

January (L) - a book published in 1919 (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
February (L) - group read for PDR
March (S) - Thriller (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
April (S) - group read for PDR
May (L) - streets, roads, and lanes (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
June (L) - group read for PDR
July (S) - Rafael Sabatini (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
August (S) - group read for PDR
September (L) - a theme/genre/author (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
October (L) - group read for PDR
November (S) - a family member in the title (group read at L. E. a D. s.)
December (S) - group read for PDR

message 7: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Yes, I'll send a message tomorrow.

I actually want to delete the points and the winner thread and change it with the 'Nomination thread'."

I think it's a good idea.

Sawako wrote: "Also, if you don't mind I would like to copy and paste the Nomination thread from L. E. a D. s. group. "

*grin* I borrowed the process from another group here on Goodreads. When I asked the moderator there if I could use it, she told me that they borrowed from a different group. I guess it's popular.

message 8: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "*grin* I borrowed the process from another group here on Goodreads. When I asked the moderator there if I could use it, she told me that they borrowed from a different group. I guess it's popular."

*grin* *grin* Okay, I'll take it then. I guess it's popular too,

message 9: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako, I've started up the thread for So Big. I'll send out a message to our members.

message 10: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Sawako, I've started up the thread for So Big. I'll send out a message to our members."

Great! :D Thanks.

message 11: by Lanelle (last edited May 27, 2019 06:03PM) (new)

an idea for a group reading challenge for 2020

description
Welcome to PDR's Alphabet Tag.

Here's how it works: When you've been tagged, you have two weeks to pick an letter from the alphabet and read a book whose title (excluding 'a', 'an', and 'the') or author's first or last name begins with that letter. By the end of the two weeks, you must leave a review of the book you chose to read and state the name of the person you're tagging.

Each letter of the alphabet will only be used once.
(in 2nd post, list the alphabet so each letter can be crossed out and dated
also list of participants)

Each member participating will be tagged once until all have had a chance, and
then we'll start over again.

Rules:
No page limit.
Books can be in any format.
Books must be in the public domain.
The two weeks will be from Wednesday to Wednesday (14 days later).
special rule for 'X'?

message 12: by Sawako (new)

Hey Lanelle,
I've missed talking to you. What an AWESOME idea! I'm totally in. I like the review part the most. I've been wanting to write them every year but end up with the rating only. That would be a good starting point.

Could you please give me an example of how it will work? I've trouble sleeping, so I don't fully understand it.

First Q. How can we start it?
For example; I (Lanelle) tag Sawako (or another member) with the letter S.

After 2 weeks, I (Sawako) leave a review and tag you or someone else with the next letter, B.

Is that Correct??

I guess we'll need the members' confirmation before we start. Because, if we tagged each other the game will end.

message 13: by Lanelle (last edited May 29, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

Sawako wrote: "Hey Lanelle, I've missed talking to you."

It's been awhile, hasn't it? I've missed talking with you, too.

Sawako wrote: "What an AWESOME idea! I'm totally in."

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Sawako wrote: "I like the review part the most. I've been wanting to write them every year but end up with the rating only. That would be a good starting point."

I added the review requirement because that's the whole point of this group. I also wondered about the option of having the book be a group discussion as well. I'm not sure if it would work on short notice, though. We'll see.

Sawako wrote: "Could you please give me an example of how it will work?"

Here's how I hope it will work: Someone would need to go first, a volunteer or you or me. They would choose their own letter. (I think people would like to have control over that part. Discussing the book together would be nice, but optional.) After the two weeks is up, the first person would post their review and tag the next person.

Everyone who joined would be tagged once and then we would start over. We would definitely need to get members' confirmation before starting. But I think it would work even if we only had a small group of 4 or 5 people. Others could always join in later if they wanted to.

Sawako wrote: "I've trouble sleeping..."

I'm having problems sleeping as well, but I think my issue is age :(
Take care of yourself!

message 14: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: It's been awhile, hasn't it? I've missed talking with you, too."

Is there another book that we can read together? I know I haven't finished So Big. :(

Lanelle wrote: "Thank you. I'm glad you like it."

You're most welcome. I can't wait to start it. :D

Lanelle wrote: "I added the review requirement because that's the whole point of this group. I also wondered about the option of having the book be a group discussion as well. I'm not sure if it would work on short notice, though. We'll see."

You're right! That would be nice as well. Or at least the 2 persons can read it together. For example, if I tagged you we can read the book together.

Lanelle wrote: "Here's how I hope it will work: Someone would need to go first, a volunteer or you or me."

You should go first. Because you are the creator of this lovely group and you also came up with the idea.

Lanelle wrote: "We would definitely need to get members' confirmation before starting.

How about creating a Poll. And there would be 3 options.
Yes, I'm in.
Maybe, I'm not sure
No, I'm not interested.

And the members who said Yes. We'll add their names in the 2nd post along with the alphabet.

Lanelle wrote: "I'm having problems sleeping as well, but I think my issue is age :(
Take care of yourself!

Oh no, you too! Well, I hope we will be able to sleep normally again very soon.

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

A different group that I'm a moderator of has been hit hard by spammers recently. I've been talking with my fellow moderators about making the group private. They are against the idea. They say that people won't join and it will be too much work approving the requests.

I see that you are a member of the Moderator Support Group. Could you look in that group and see if there has been a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of having a private group?

message 16: by Sawako (new)

Sure, I'd be happy to do it. Could you please give me 3 days?

message 17: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Sure, I'd be happy to do it. Could you please give me 3 days?"

Absolutely. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

message 18: by Sawako (last edited Oct 01, 2019 12:45PM) (new)

Just a quick update! There isn't an actual post discussing the advantages and disadvantages of having a private group.

But apparently, you can have a private group without adding a filter (meaning anyone can join).

Someone else said that they have a private group and didn't hinder their growth and they are one of the biggest private groups on GR with 5000 members.

I'll dig a little deeper about it and get back to you.

What kind of spammers do you get? Can you report to GoodReads support about it?

message 19: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Just a quick update!

What kind of spammers do you get? Can you report to GoodReads support about it?"

I'm going show to show ignorance, but I'm not sure what language the posts are usually in, probably Japanese. I'm sure it's not Chinese. Could be Korean. We might get 3 or 4 posts at the same time. They look exactly alike, and post come in different threads.

When it happened the first time about a year ago, we did report it, and we were told that there really wasn't anything Goodreads technology could do to stop the spamming. Whenever the spam shows up now, I flag the post, delete it and the member that posted it.

message 20: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "But apparently, you can have a private group without adding a filter (meanin..."

What's the point of having a private group without a filter? It seems it would be just the same as having an open group. I'll have to think about that one.

message 21: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "What's the point of having a private group without a filter? It seems it would be just the same as h..."

I thought the same thing.

message 22: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "I'm going show to show ignorance, but I'm not sure what language the posts ar..."

Well, I checked the thread about spammers. Some groups did change their settings to private. Others would do a weekly check on the number of new members.

Since some of the mods don't want to do the Private group, you can divide the week among you to regularly check the members.

For example, Every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday to check new members.

You can take every Saturday to check. Another mod will take every Tuesday to check and so on.

I hope this would be helpful. And if there is anything you want me to look up, let me know.

message 23: by Sawako (last edited Oct 06, 2019 11:59AM) (new)

Hey, Tim.

Welcome to the moderator's club. We're SUPER happy you joined us. And I'm looking forward to reading/discussing books with you and Lanelle.

Have an AWESOME day! 😃

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim Smith | 77 comments Mod
Thank you!

I am going to start a intimidating books suggestion thread under the Suggestions topic tonight. I was wondering if I should broadcast a message to all the group members or if one of you want to since I am a new moderator to the group.

message 25: by Lanelle (new)

Tim wrote: "I am going to start a intimidating books suggestion thread under the Suggestions topic tonight. I was wondering if I should broadcast a message to all the group members or if one of you..."

I'll send out a message right away, introducing you and what you'll be doing. I'll have everyone look for your intimidating books thread.

message 26: by Lanelle (new)

Tim, when you're ready to begin the group discussions, we can move the intimidating books thread to the Group Discussions folder. It might even be good to tag it 'important' so that it stays at the top.
We should also remove the 'Important Rules' thread since it won't apply to what you'll be doing.

We can also indicate at the top of the group page what book we're reading. I've never done that, but Sawako has.

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim Smith | 77 comments Mod
Lanelle wrote: "Tim, when you're ready to begin the group discussions, we can move the intimidating books thread to the Group Discussions folder. It might even be good to tag it 'important' so that it stays at the..."

I've done it for another group which I'm a moderator.

message 28: by Lanelle (new)

Tim wrote: "I've done it for another group which I'm a moderator."

Oh, good.

message 29: by Sawako (new)

Hey Lanelle & Tim,

1. What are our plans for November?

2. Are we going to run a poll this week to pick a book that we can read in November and December?

3. Lanelle, Are we going to do Tag Me for 2020? Or are we going to read 4 books a year?

4. I've found a website that tells you the book's length (https://www.readinglength.com/) it may come in handy when we want to pick which books we can add to the poll.
Of course, we all have a different reading speed but it would be nice to see how long it will take the average person to finish the book.

Have a nice day everyone!

message 30: by Lanelle (last edited Jan 04, 2020 11:49AM) (new)

Numbered Reading challenge

description

Sometimes it's difficult to choose what to read.
Why not let a randomizer help you find the next book?

Go to random.org. The True Random Number Generator box will be to the right on your screen. (The settings should be Min: 0 and Max: 9.) Click on the Generate button. Using the number you receive, find a book that is somehow associated with that number.

Example: you got a 6. You can read #6 on your TBR list. Or -
the book can be published in a year ending in 6
the book can be the 6th in a series
the book can have a 6 in the page number
the book can be the 6th book published by an author

It's up to you how the number connects with a book.

message 31: by Sawako (new)

That's so cool! I do like this one. Would it be better if the group can read the same book to discuss it?

So, we (mods) can use Random and try and come up with 3-4 books that we can ask our members to choose from.

OR

We can create a topic where members can submit the book they got from Random and create a poll, to pick the book.

What do you think, Lanelle?

message 32: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako, I came to this thread to begin a discussion about next year and I saw that I never responded to your post. I'm so sorry!

Tim and Sawako, do you have any ideas on a yearly program for our members to participate in?

message 33: by Sawako (new)

That's okay! I totally forgot about it.

A quick idea (that I need to think more about), how about we use the first letter of the month to read a book or an author that has the same letter. Similar to the Tag game.

For example, White Fang by Jack London.

message 34: by JenniferFour (last edited Oct 28, 2020 06:52AM) (new)

JenniferFour | 55 comments Sawako wrote: "... the first letter of the month to read a book or an author that has the same letter. Simila..."

Nice idea!

message 35: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "A quick idea (that I need to think more about), how about we use the first letter of the month to read a book or an author that has the same letter. Similar to the Tag game."

That sounds nice and easy. And we're all familiar with that type of challenge.

message 36: by Lanelle (new)

I have another idea. How about making a group goal to read a certain number of books during 2021?

I have a goal thermometer we could use.

message 37: by Sawako (last edited Nov 02, 2020 09:08PM) (new)

Lanelle wrote: "I have another idea. How about making a group goal to read a certain number of books during 2021?

I have a goal thermometer we could use"

I LOVE the thermometer. How can we get one?

message 38: by Lanelle (last edited Nov 03, 2020 05:46AM) (new)

I already have the thermometer. I can put a title above it and adjust the 'raised' level as folks report their books.

Maybe we can do both ideas. Folks could do yours and any extra books read would be counted in the yearly total.

Could we expand yours a bit to include numbers? The number could be for the year published, in a series, or 1st, 2nd or 3rd (and so on) book the author wrote.
January - J, 1
February - F, 2
March - M, 3
April - A, 4
MaY - Y, 5
JunE - E, 6
JuLy - L, 7
AugusT - T, 8
September - S, 9
October - O, 10
November - N, 11
December - D, 12

message 39: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "Could we expand yours a bit to include numbers? The number could be for the year published, in a series, or 1st, 2nd or 3rd (and so on) book the author wrote."

Sure! But could you please give me an example?

Is it something like this?

The release date of The Transformation of Philip Jettan by Heyer is November on Gutenberg.

message 40: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Is it something like this?

The release date of The Transformation of Philip Jettan by Heyer is November on Gutenberg."

I don't see why release dates couldn't work, too. The Transformation of Philip Jettan could also work for 3 since it was published in 1923, and 2 because it was Heyer's 2nd book.

Examples: Pride and Prejudice - 3 for 1813; 1 for published in January; 2 for 2nd book
Daddy-Long-Legs - 12 for 1912; 1 for 1st novel; 7 for 7th book
A Little Princess - 5 for 1905; 9 for published in September

I suppose we could include the last number (or numbers for 10, 11 and 12) of the page count if we wanted to expand the number options a bit more.

message 41: by Sawako (new)

Okay, great! I'm so looking forward to this reading challenge.

message 42: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako, are you going to write up the rules for next year's challenge? Or we could go simple and do the group goal of 100 and use the thermometer.

Either way. But it's getting late. We should post something soon.

message 43: by Sawako (last edited Dec 29, 2020 07:26AM) (new)

Hey Lanelle, Sorry about that. I got busy.

I'm thinking about doing something like 2019 Reading Resolutions and Tag, You're It!

We'll create a new Folder (2021 Reading Challenge), and within that folder, we will have 3 topics.

1. Rules and Info (maybe we can add your thermometer)
2. Sign Up Here. Each one will comment on the books that they will read.
3. Discussion and Reviews

What do you think? Too complicated?

message 44: by Lanelle (new)

Sawako wrote: "Hey Lanelle, Sorry about that. I got busy."

You've been very busy lately. Are you okay with leading a year-long challenge?

Sawako wrote: "What do you think? Too complicated?"

I think simpler is better. Let's just go with your challenge if you're up to it. Maybe we can do the thermometer next year.

message 45: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "I think simpler is better. Let's just go with your challenge if you're up to it. Maybe we can do the thermometer next year."

Got it. I'll set it up right away and you can check it later. And feel free to make any changes to it.

message 46: by Sawako (new)

Hi, Lanelle.

Here you go: 2021 Reading Challenge.

message 47: by Lanelle (new)

The challenge looks great, Sawako. The only thing I would add is information about a page limit. Is there one?

message 48: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "The challenge looks great, Sawako. The only thing I would add is information about a page limit. Is there one?"

Do you mean how long is the book?

message 49: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 30, 2020 01:42PM) (new)

Sawako wrote: "Do you mean how long is the book?"

Yeah. Do you only want books over 100 pages or so, or will anything count?

Also, do you want to send a message to all our members inviting them to sign up for this challenge?

message 50: by Sawako (new)

Lanelle wrote: "You've been very busy lately. Are you okay with leading a year-long challenge?"

Yes. Because I want to be active in this group again. And, I can manage the bi-weekly discussion thread.

Lanelle wrote: "Yeah. Do you only want books over 100 pages or so, or will anything count?"

Anything count. Depending on their time, they can choose a short or a long book. They can read only one book or more.

Lanelle wrote: "Also, do you want to send a message to all our members inviting them to sign up for this challenge?"

Yeah, I've been thinking about sending one today. But I'm worried about the structure. I would feel so much better if I can send you a test message.

« previous 1