Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 4rd Quarter Long Reads October -- December 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominated books must be published prior to the year 2000.

The past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:
Long Reads Bookshelf

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérables, 4th Quarter 2014

The Count of Monte Cristo, 1st Quarter 2015
Gone with the Wind, 2nd Quarter 2015
Don Quixote, 3rd Quarter 2015
The Stand, 4th Quarter 2015

Middlemarch, 1st Quarter 2016
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, 2nd Quarter 2016
Bleak House, 3rd Quarter 2016
The Lord of the Rings, 4th Quarter 2016

The Three Musketeers, 1st Quarter 2017
Moby-Dick or, The Whale, 2nd Quarter 2017
The Brothers Karamazov, 3rd Quarter 2017
The Woman in White, 4th Quarter 2017

Ulysses, 1st Quarter 2018
Vanity Fair, 2nd Quarter 2018
The Once and Future King, 3rd Quarter 2018

1. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

2. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

2a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

3. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

3a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussing for three months? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from the 1st through the 14th. Polls will be open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by Cynda (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Cynda | 2641 comments I would like to nominate The Iliad by Homer

Reading this book first makes for easier reading later of Odyssey by Homer, Aenid by Virgil and various Greek tragedy plays including The Trojan Women.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate Arabian Nights.

message 4: by Cath (new)

Cath | 12 comments I second The Iliad

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 775 comments I’ll second Arabian Nights

message 6: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 756 comments I would like to nominate Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. Page length is 715 pages, published in 1964.

message 9: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2641 comments Thank you Cath and Chaitra :-)

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments I nominate Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley (pub 1976, 729 pp).

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you Matt :). That is the one long read I haven't done.

Aubrey, Roots is amazing. I remember reading it in a few days. Now we have a tough choice.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments I'll 3rd Arabian Nights

message 13: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 410 comments I nominate Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore.

message 14: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I'd like to nominate The Mysteries of Udolpho

message 15: by Jehona (last edited Aug 01, 2018 11:34PM) (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I'll nominate "In Search of Lost Time", also translated as "Remembrance of Things Past", by Marcel Proust. There isn't a direct link in Goodreads because there are seven volumes, each with its own title. It is considered one of the most important works of the 20th century.

Edit: I found a link that contains the whole story In Search of Lost Time.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

message 19: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 549 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Pillars of the Earth."

Third

message 20: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Candi wrote: "I would like to nominate Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. Page length is 715 pages, published in 1964."
I will second this.

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Alissa wrote: "I second Roots: The Saga of an American Family"

Thanks Alissa :)

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie | 572 comments I was thinking about coming over here and nominating Roots: The Saga of an American Family, but since someone already did, I'll add another second to it!

message 23: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 756 comments Thank you, Janet :)

message 24: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 536 comments I second Arabian Nights.

message 25: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Angie wrote: "I was thinking about coming over here and nominating Roots: The Saga of an American Family, but since someone already did, I'll add another second to it!"

Chaitra wrote: "I'm sorry I'm removing my second from The Iliad and transferring it to Roots:the saga of an American family."

Thanks Angie and Chaitra :)

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "The Last Empress: Madame Chiang Kai-shek and the Birth of Modern China by Hannah Pakula"

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominated books must be published prior to the year 2000.

This was published in 2009 and is not eligible.

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Jehona wrote: "I'll nominate "In Search of Lost Time", also translated as "Remembrance of Things Past", by Marcel Proust. There isn't a direct link in Goodreads because there are seven volumes, ea..."

Darren wrote: "I nominate Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais
Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais"

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

The above books are not eligible. In Search of Time Lost is an omnibus of 7 books and Gargantua and Pantagruel contains 5 books.

message 28: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 57 comments Thanks, Aprilleigh and Kimberly!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ll second Arabian Nights.

message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 26 comments Bob wrote: "Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose ac..."

I see second The Iliad

message 31: by Jehona (last edited Aug 03, 2018 12:15AM) (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Bob wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I'll nominate "In Search of Lost Time", also translated as "Remembrance of Things Past", by Marcel Proust. There isn't a direct link in Goodreads because there are se..."

I don't understand. Didn't the group read "The Lord of the Rings" which is also comprised of 3 books, each with its own title? I haven't read "In Search of Lost Time" (obviously) so I'm not exactly sure of its structure, but at least Wikipedia describes it as "a novel in seven volumes".

message 32: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2641 comments Thanks Erica :-)

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie | 632 comments Bob wrote: Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

But then why are we reading 'The Once and Future King' - that is also a series of books?

message 34: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Julie wrote: "But then why are we reading 'The Once and Future King' - that is also a series of books?"

Exactly! I think we need some more clarification here.

message 35: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments the Proust series is easily available as individual books,
but Gargantua & Pantagruel has been published as a single volume for about the last 400 years - if you tried going into a library/bookshop and asking for just part 1 they'd look at you like you'd gone mad!

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
I won’t deny that errors have been made in the past for books that didn’t strictly follow the rules. It started, I think, with a concession being made for Lord of the Rings and has been a problem since. It is time to make a course correction and return to the eligibility requirements as listed every month in post number one. I apologize for any inconvenience, but from here on out please select single books that are a minimum of 600 pages and published before the year 2000. Questionable books as to whether they are single books or omnibuses should be handled in our Buddy Read thread.

message 37: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Sue and Dave. I appreciate it because there are many worthy choices this quarter.

message 38: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments It started with Don Quixote (2 books)
and in case anyone is interested:
Iliad default edition is unusually long
Arabian Nights is a collection of short stories

message 39: by Brina (new)

Brina Bob, if Arabian Nights is going to be thought of as questionable, feel free to declare it ineligible so that it is clear what is and is not an eligible book.

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Darren wrote: "in case anyone is interested:
Iliad default edition is unusually long"

I haven't yet done a status update. That is when I work to verify a books eligibly, date published, number of pages. Darren is correct, the Iliad is not eligible for Long Read, but is eligible for Revisit the Shelf.

The first 25 editions listed by Goodreads shows 16 English paper printed editions, only 4 of these 16 exceed 600 pages.

Cynda, Cath, and Erica you all need to select something else to either nominate or second.

message 41: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2641 comments Thanks Bob. I think I will just go with what the group decides as I have no strong desire to read anything else at this time. :-)

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9333 comments Mod
Hey we are just volunteers here and mistakes happen. Thanks for bringing us back to the original concept of a long read Bob.

message 43: by Brina (new)

Brina What about Arabian Nights being a collection of stories?

message 44: by Cath (new)

Cath | 12 comments Okay, Bob, thanks for the update. I'm going to hold off on seconding something else right at this moment, but may chime in later

message 45: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Aug 03, 2018 12:53PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9333 comments Mod
Brina wrote: "What about Arabian Nights being a collection of stories?"

From the nomination rules: Nominations need to be a book, not a series of books nor an omnibus of books. It is not a series of books. So it is eligible.

message 46: by Cynda (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Cynda | 2641 comments Thank you Kathy. If I thanked Bob first, it may have come off snarky when I am grateful.

Thank you Bob, Katy, Pink, and Melanti. As leaders--I use my leadership skills at YWCA--we try to be just a bit flexible. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. And we won't know until we try.

Thank you for your commiittment and care.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Since Arabian Nights isn't eligible, I'll change my second to The Pillars of the Earth

message 48: by Melanti (last edited Aug 03, 2018 10:01AM) (new)

Melanti | 2386 comments Sue wrote: "Since Arabian Nights isn't eligible, I'll change my second to The Pillars of the Earth"

Arabian Nights is eligible. Sorry for the confusion. There's no need to change your second.

However, if it wins, we will be reading just a selection of stories - probably the ones represented by the default 1,000 page volume - rather than the full 9-16 volumes of the "full" work.

message 49: by Brina (new)

Brina I will add a second to Roots then.

message 50: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Melanti wrote: "Sue wrote: "Since Arabian Nights isn't eligible, I'll change my second to The Pillars of the Earth"

Arabian Nights is eligible. Sorry for the confusion. There's no need to change your ..."

Okay then I'll go back, to Arabian Nights. Thanks!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.