Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Karly’s July 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Hello! Here’s my July reads, smaller list than usual and not nearly enough mysteries and thrillers... planning for more in August!

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn. 4 stars. Also been watching the show on HBO. Very good as well!

The Spiral Jetty Encyclo: Exploring Robert Smithson’s Earthwork Through Time and Place - Hikmet Sidney Loe. 5 stars. I just got back from my trip visiting the Spiral Jetty out in the Great Salt Lake. It was unbelievable! Hence my profile picture change.

Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng. 3 stars. Another one that I felt was over hyped but read as just okay to me. At least I’m ready for whatever Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington are doing with it for the screen!

Clock Dance -Anne Tyler. 3 stars. Read this for the Barnes & Noble book club. This was another ‘just okay’ and the ending left a lot to be desired.

Your Guide to Forest Bathing: Experience the Healing Power of Nature - M Clifford Amos. 3 stars. I’ve read better forest bathing books I have to say.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: Trilogy of Four - Douglas Adams. (Almost done... likely 3 stars). Not normally a science fiction reader, though it is pretty funny. Just a little hard to follow at times.

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Hitchhiker is one of my all time favorite books

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Read Hitchhikers Guide years ago and thinking about it still makes me laugh.

message 4: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie wrote: "Read Hitchhikers Guide years ago and thinking about it still makes me laugh."

LOL, Melodie, when I read Karly's list and Merrileel's reply, I immediately thought of you!

My opinion is closer to Karly's. I liked it. It was clever and funny, but not an all-time favorite.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Nice month Karly! I'm behind on watching Sharp Objects, hope to catch up soon. I bet your take on it is different so soon after reading the book.
I agree on Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing, I listened to a podcast featuring the book which was interesting in concept, the book itself was light on insight.
Karly wrote: "Hello! Here’s my July reads, smaller list than usual and not nearly enough mysteries and thrillers... planning for more in August!
Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn. 4 stars. Also been watching the show."

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3050 comments If there were not so many new books I would do Hitchhiker again.

message 7: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Thanks all! Been interesting to read all 4 of the hitchhikers in one go. It’s been helpful having them all in one copy so I can follow the threads better.

Ann- yes! The show has been doing a great job to create atmosphere and are inserting subtle details that help portray Camille’s mental state like they do in the book.

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 206 comments Thanks for the list. I still haven't read Gone Girl so haven't read any more of Flynn's books either. I want to see the HBO series though!

message 9: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments It’s so good! Season finale is tomorrow night. Book is a quick read and the show is only 8 episodes :) totally worth it!

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Karly wrote: "It’s so good! Season finale is tomorrow night. Book is a quick read and the show is only 8 episodes :) totally worth it!"

I've just started watching Sharp Objects and haven't read the book. Are they very different? Trying to decide if I will read the book eventually. Usually once I've watched the program/movie I don't bother.

The TV show is *very* creepy. A friend advised me to watch during the day, LOL.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Carol: I read the book but it has been a good while, so comparisons are not easy to give, except that the atmosphere seems different, the little sister seems older and the suggestion to watch in the daylight is a good one!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments I still have five episodes to watch...i will get to them. My watching time is late night so I have to be awake enough and in the right mood for the creepiness. :)

message 13: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments I think they did a great job of sticking to the book but adding in a few things that made sense for tv. I actually liked them both equally. The book is quick too, so worth the read as well!

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Karly wrote: "It’s so good! Season finale is tomorrow night. Book is a quick read and the show is only 8 episodes :) totally worth it!"

I've just started watching Sharp Objects and haven't read th..."

i didn't read the book but watched the show and have to say that i was a little confused in parts..lol
but after reading tv guide, i went back and watched the end of the last episode- there was a little scene in the credits that gave some info about stuff (lol).

message 15: by Ann (last edited Sep 16, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Sherry - good to know to look for the revealing scene during the final credits. :)
I'm working on getting my dvr backlog down before hockey season starts, and to finish the last two Cormorran Strike shows before listening to Lethal White; and then will pick back up watching Sharp Objects.

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry - good to know to look for the revealing scene during the final credits. :)
I'm working on getting my dvr backlog down before hockey season starts, and to finish the last two Cormorran Strik..."

Wait, what? Now I'm remembering there was a Cormorran Strike TV show but I lost track of it. What channel is it on?

Carol <---too many TV options

message 17: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments I believe it’s on Cinemax. Which I’ll need to get to watch it. Sigh. Too many shows, too many platforms to watch them on. Can’t keep up!