Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Misc > Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1147 comments Mod
A discussion thread for short story collections by female classic authors.

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Has anyone read any short stories from Edith Nesbit?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments Charlene wrote: "Has anyone read any short stories from Edith Nesbit?"

I didn’t know she wrote short stories, Charlene. Now that I think of it, though, her chapter books read more like short stories or vignettes that are only loosely connected to one another. Are you reading a collection?

message 4: by Charlene (new)

I am considering The Power of Darkness: Tales of Terror figuring a short story collection may be a nice change up in reading. But I don't know too much about Edith Nesbit's writing.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Oct 11, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments You’ve intrigued me. I’m at a conference but later today plan to read the Nesbit short story at the below link, The Marble Child.

https://www.shortstoryproject.com/the...

message 6: by Charlene (new)

So I have finished about 9 of the stories now in the book. It is more of a supernatural style instead of the gothic Ann Radcliffe style I sort of expected. They are definitely dark.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments Good to know. I am glad I read The Marble Child but her style was so wordy for the first 20% or so that I almost gave up. Then it shifted to the style I've enjoyed before, although the ending went on a bit longer than it should have. Nesbit seems inconsistent, above all - her best is wonderful, but I can't count on her.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) I thought the same Carol. I have always enjoyed Nesbit’s novels but read very few of her short stories. I found the first paragraph to be so verbose as to be almost impenetrable - but I persevered. A sweet, rather dated story: but none the worse for that.
If written today, I am sure the marble child would have drawn in the human child to join him at the front and the Aunties would have discovered him there all marbleised! !

message 9: by Charlene (new)

So I just finished the short story collection of Edith Nesbit that I read. Overall I think it was a 3 stars; I haven't rated each individual story yet. I think my favorite was "The Pavilion". Most of the stories were written between 1890 to 1910 from what I can tell.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments Charlene wrote: "So I just finished the short story collection of Edith Nesbit that I read. Overall I think it was a 3 stars; I haven't rated each individual story yet. I think my favorite was "The Pavilion". Most ..."

I'll try to find Pavilion.

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Does anyone have a short story collection that they would recommend? I am close to needing a change up in what I have been reading.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 658 comments Charlene wrote: "Does anyone have a short story collection that they would recommend? I am close to needing a change up in what I have been reading."

These are essays and not short stories, fyi, but The Little Virtues by Natalia Ginzburg has been on my short-term list as a "something different" collection.

I'm a big Anne of Green Gables fan, so Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery appeals.

Sleepless Nights by Elizabeth Hardwick was first published in 1979, so may not fit your preference for age, but it's available from NYRB and I've always heard great things.

I own two Dorothy Parker collections but they are door-stoppers and may strike you as a cumbersome hill to climb, unless you adore Ms. Parker. Like Saki, I find her most appealing in limited doses.

Good luck!

message 13: by Charlene (new)

message 14: by Charlene (new)

If you are needing more Victorian ghost stories, there is The Wimbourne Book of Victorian Ghost Stories: Volume 1,The Wimbourne Book of Victorian Ghost Stories: Volume 6; and The Wimbourne Book of Victorian Ghost Stories (Annotated): Volume 11 which are all stories written by women. Bonus is that each is about $2.50 e-books.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

I just started More Deadly than the Male: Masterpieces from the Queens of Horror short story collection as I am waiting on September book from the library. Two stories in so far, and I would definitely be more interested in reading another piece by Mrs. S.C Hall. The book does give a little bio on each author before the short story. Next up is Morton Hall by Elizabeth Gaskell.

message 16: by Charlene (new)

Charlene wrote: "I just started More Deadly than the Male: Masterpieces from the Queens of Horror short story collection as I am waiting on September book from the library. Two stories in so far, an..."

I gave 7 out of 26 stories 5 stars. There were 10 stories that were 4 stars. And 9 stories rated at 3 stars for me.

message 17: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "I just started More Deadly than the Male: Masterpieces from the Queens of Horror short story collection as I am waiting on September book from the library. Two stories in so far, an..."

Gaskell wrote horror?

message 18: by Charlene (last edited Nov 06, 2019 05:51AM) (new)

Anastasia Kinderman wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I just started More Deadly than the Male: Masterpieces from the Queens of Horror short story collection as I am waiting on September book from the library. Two stor..."

I know Wordsworth Classics has a whole book of Elizabeth Gaskell horror stories. Tales of Mystery & the Macabre

I have it at home but haven't gotten around to reading it.

message 19: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "Anastasia Kinderman wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I just started More Deadly than the Male: Masterpieces from the Queens of Horror short story collection as I am waiting on September boo..."

Wow, that's so cool! I did not know that.

message 20: by Charlene (new)

I haven't read it, but British Library Publishing has out The Face in the Glass: The Gothic Tales of Mary Elizabeth Braddon from Mary Elizabeth Braddon. She was the author of Lady Audley's Secret.

message 21: by Charlene (new)

In case anyone is looking for more short stories. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...