Milk and Honey Milk and Honey discussion

Modern poetry is a disaster.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophie Look, I'm not someone who generally craps on other people's idea of art, as I feel like there is a very broad spectrum of what quantifies as "poetry". I'm very open to experiencing new ideas of poetry and I don't believe there are specific rules to "follow" when it comes to writing a poem. That being said, the one thing I can't stand when reading poetry is non-creativity. When someone writes a poem to sound deep or impactful but uses overused sayings and tacky prose.

This book is one of those books people read to make themselves feel well-read and thoughtful, when in reality they are reading the book-form of those cringey motivational Instagram posts with the stock image of a woman looking over a cliff into a wondrous sunset going over the mountains of heaven. Good grief. So many of my friends love this book, praise it as being so raw and unfiltered, and I feel like the only one who looks at this book and thinks, "What has happened to modern poetry?"

Am I the only one who feels this way? Can someone explain to me why this book is so popular? Am I just being a mean old critic? Am I not millennial enough to enjoy this? Someone explain.

Lianne Burwell I have to admit, for me the problem was that the author's age shows. The poetry was mostly slogans and rather self-absorbed

I read this near when I was reading a collection from Nikita Gill, and I much preferred Ms Gill's collection, Wild Embers, for modern feminist poetry.

message 3: by Anda (last edited Aug 08, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anda Even though I am not a poetry lover, I wouldn't go so far to call "modern poetry" a disaster. I don't think that this book is a good representation of what modern poetry is. Also, I feel we can all agree that age is not a deciding factor. We have countless examples of young authors who've given the world precious works.
However, talking about this book, I did feel as if I were reading the "deep" description of some Facebook/Instagram sunset photos at best. It had no substance whatsoever. The best parts of it were general truths that we all know, written in a verse.

I think that the reason why it is so popular is that it is easy to digest. You don't need to stop, think, feel anything. It's already done, all on a platter, you take it and it gives you immediate satisfaction. It has no roots and it just flows over your head, nothing sticks enough for it to grow and become a though worth going back to. It's easy to relate to because everyone could have written those poems. This gives a sense of (could I call it ?) pride thinking that "oh, yeah, i thought this too!"

So, all in all, I don't think that you're not millennial enough haha. It's just that once you've had better and experienced good poetry/ good writing, your standards will be higher and you won't settle for tasteless words written in a minimalist design.

Jenny Powel I don't agree at all, respectfully. Modern poetry is much more simple and let's just be honest...most people don't have time to read long poems anymore. They want something short and easily relatable which is what Rupi Kaur, Lang Leav and Hailey Riely have done. I wouldn't call it a disaster. It's just different is all. :)

Cassie I felt the same way about Milk & Honey: basic and uninspired. I likened it to a college freshman's first attempt at poetry in an into to creative writing course.

Shalhn The fact is, like music, movies and other things in this generation, there’s a major shift in taste and preferences.

What original poets and readers use to write and digest is slowly dissipating in today’s society.

Readers become less oblige to read anything pass a paragraph. They interpret less, and prefer short sentences which resonates.

They like sentences which they can add their own meaning.
“Men are dogs, protect your heart”

They can build conversation with that, and that’s good enough for them.

Is it right? Is it good for the poetry community?
Who knows!

What I think happen nowadays is, most writers write to get Sales and not necessarily write to sustain poetry.

One thing is certain, there’s a huge market for these types of poetry, and poets are taking advantage of it.

So a poet who really loves poetry but want to get Sales, have to balance between selling books and facing harsh criticism OR getting good feedback but not selling much.

I hope to publish my first book soon, and I get discourage at times when I see what people demand versus what I want to share. It makes me wonder if I can strike a balance while remaining authentic.

All we can do as writers is to just write what we love and hopefully, people who do share our love will support us.

message 7: by Ben (last edited Jun 27, 2020 03:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Jones As a writer myself, I'm curious how people think the poems can be workshopped or improved?

Rachel Lay Hm, I'm not the type of person to critic any form of art as well. But personally, I am not a fan of Rupi Kaur's work. Although some of her poems touched depth, most of the poems looked like it could be found on instagram/Tumblr posts. So to speak, her works does not represent instagram poetry at all.

I found so many talented poets and writers on instagram that upholds the virtue and value of poetry so beautifully. If you dig a bit deeper on the explore page, you will be surprised at how many hidden talents are there!

message 9: by Shola (last edited Oct 17, 2020 10:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shola Wilde i understand the points here.... but you can't call her works crap just because it deviates from the norm rules of poetry that you know... i think her writings her unique in her own style...
to me, poetry is just like music. its not okay to call hip-hop trash just because music to you is Michael Jackson's dance-pop or Frank Sinatra's Blues.... the existence of different genres of music makes music unique in its own way.
the same is true with Rupi Kaur's poetry, i think her deviation from the norms of traditional poetry and her beautiful simplicity is one of the things that made people love/easily relate with her works (including me).

Zeynep I seriously thought I was the only one. It's just not... poetry? It's like some slogans and slightly 'cool' sentences - which can be a basic definition for poetry, yes, but you know what I mean- written using the same words and themes over and over again.
the only thing I enjoyed was the illustrations of the book but it's definitely overrated...
I just want people to understand that it's not poetic when you resemble a woman to flowers anymore. #ihadenough