SCPL Online NonFiction Book Club discussion

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
This topic is about The Stranger in the Woods

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Hello Book Club Members!

My name is Nicole and I’m looking forward to discussing August’s Book Club title - The Stranger in the Woods: the Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel.

In this book we meet a man named Christopher Knight who lived alone in the woods in Maine for 27 years. From the age of 20 until his arrest in 2013 for stealing food, he did not speak to another human being. Why did he choose a life of seclusion? How did he survive? What challenges did he face once he returned to society? The author, who was able to interview Knight, seeks to answer these questions and to give the reader insight into the mind of “the last true hermit.”

I’m excited to discuss this book with everyone and to hear your thoughts and opinions along the way.

Copies of the book are available through the library in a variety of formats. Titles can be found on our library’s catalogue by clicking the following link:

goo.gl/7kZCbo

This is a quick read and perfect for summer. Well, maybe not so perfect if you’re trying to rest and relax at the cottage and are now worrying about someone breaking into your home away from home! :P

Thanks and Happy Reading!

~Nicole~

Heidi Madden | 118 comments Hi Nicole! I'm excited to discuss this book. You're right. It was a very quick read. I didn't find it that creepy but I am going up to cottage country this weekend so I'll let you know if I'm checking over my shoulder a lot ;)

This is a fascinating story though. Definitely lots to talk about and I think it's a book that will really stick with me.

message 3: by SCPL (new) - added it

SCPL (st_catharines_public_library) | 542 comments Mod
Hi Heidi!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the book. I look forward to our discussion this month!

Haha, keep an eye out for missing batteries and books at the cottage. At some point I would like to discuss how the cottagers in the community felt about the continual break-ins and how we might have reacted if we were in their shoes.

Have a nice weekend!

~Nicole