The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Group Reads 2018 > Nominations for October 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Again we are back to the beginning, we have decided to continue the approach to nominations where we exclude any author from a nomination period where we have already read two or more of their books. The idea is, by trying other other authors we can get a broader view of the sci-fi the period.

Therefore for this period we will not be accepting any nominations for books by H G Wells or Jules Verne

We will accept any other nominations for sci-fi pre-1920 which has not previously been read by the group. Please check out the pre-1920 bookshelf (found here ) before nominating. One nomination per person please.

message 2: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 142 comments I will suggest The Last Man by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.

If it is allowed I would want to suggest Utopia by Thomas More.

message 3: by Marc-André (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments I suggest Micromegas by Voltaire.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith (twofarwest) | 4 comments I would like to suggest “A Crystal Age” by W.H. Hudson. It is available through Librivox.org and Gutenberg.org

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 3969 comments Mod
Asuman wrote: "I would like to suggest “Ubik” by Phillip K. Dick."

Pre-1920's, please. PKD wasn't even born until 1928.

message 6: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Oz is fantasy. Not sci-fi.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Marc-André wrote: "Oz is fantasy. Not sci-fi."

The SF fantasy line is pretty gray especially before Gernsbeck came up with the term. Rather than make a summary decision, let's let the polls pick out what the group wants to read, OK?

message 8: by Jim (new)

I'll nominate A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. It's a fantastic story dealing with time travel & the effects of modern ideas on a feudal society.

message 9: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 153 comments The group's pre-1920 bookshelf might have to be updated. I didn't see The Invisible Man there although it was a group read:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 153 comments I nominate The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Thanks Ronald bookshelf updated. Seems I managed to not put it on any shelf!

message 12: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments It was... invincible.

message 13: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 732 comments I would like to try either Jerzy Żuławski whose Moon trilogy was written between 1901 and 1911 or J.H. Rosny Aîné, who is "Belgian Julies Verne"

message 14: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Reilly | 9 comments I would like to nominate The Hampdenshire Wonder by J. D. Beresford, who was influenced by H. G. Wells, who also in turn had an impact on Olaf Stapledon.

Copy available from: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53028

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Oleksandr wrote: "I would like to try either Jerzy Żuławski whose Moon trilogy was written between 1901 and 1911 or J.H. Rosny Aîné, who is "Belgian Julies Verne""

I don't know how close to the Moon trilogy the film On the Silver Globe is but it would certainly make an interesting read if the film is anything to go by. I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to get hold of though. It only seems to have been translated into English for the first time last year and the only copy on Amazon has only two reviews both of which complain about the level of the translation.

message 16: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 732 comments Jo wrote: " I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to get hold of though. It only seems to have been translated into English for the first time last year "

At least Polish original text is free https://wolnelektury.pl/katalog/lektu...

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Oleksandr wrote: "At least Polish original text is free..."

I am really looking forward to the day when the universal translator idea works properly and you can translate anything automatically. There are many books I would like to read that are not translated into English or French (the only two language I can read).

message 19: by Jim (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "I would like to try either Jerzy Żuławski whose Moon trilogy was written between 1901 and 1911 or J.H. Rosny Aîné, who is "Belgian Julies Verne""

I'm going through the topic since I might have to make the poll & I don't know what to do with this. Could you pick one book, please? Make sure it is available in English since that's the main language of the group. No use cluttering up the poll with something most of us can't get & won't read.

message 21: by Jim (last edited Aug 28, 2018 03:22AM) (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "The Xipehuz And The Death Of The Earth"

I checked Amazon & Abebooks for this & it is available for about $100 used. Doesn't seem to be available on Gutenberg or Librivox, either. Do you know any place for us to get it legally at a decent price? This is a nomination for a group read & no one is going to spend a lot of money on an obscure book, so it's only common sense to make it something accessible.

message 22: by Pi (new)

Pi (pi_symbol) | 7 comments I'll nominate Tomorrow's Eve by Villiers de L'Isle-Adam. It contains the first use of the term "android" in literature.

message 23: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 732 comments Jim wrote: "I checked Amazon & Abebooks for this & it is available for about $100 used. "

I apologize, I haven't checked there. From what I see, in Amazon only this is available: Three Science Fiction Novellas: From Prehistory to the End of Mankind with the same novels (plus one more) but the price is steep for an old book. There is only French original on Guttenberg. Thus i withdraw the nomination

message 24: by Jim (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:00AM) (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "I apologize, I haven't checked there. From what I see, in Amazon only this is ..."

No problem. That's a drag. I was hoping you'd find something. The name looked familiar for some reason & I found out it was because his Ironcastle was translated by Philip José Farmer, who wrote some good books. It's cheap as a used paperback. There he's billed as the ERB of France. Gutenberg does have some of his stuff, but nothing in English, although one story is in Portuguese, I think.

message 25: by Ed (last edited Oct 10, 2019 11:15AM) (new)

Ed Erwin | 1826 comments Mod
All of the Rosny-Aîné books in this series are available at reasonable prices from Black Coat Press. Most of the translations are by Brian Stableford, who churns out translations faster than would seem possible. Anyway, that seems to be the only source of most of his work in English. Quest for Fire is also probably easy to obtain, though I don't want to read it.

message 26: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 10, 2019 10:29AM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Does anyone want Ironcastle or anything else by the author to be on our Nominations-pre-1920 shelf? Remember, we do need to have it be something that has been translated into English.

message 27: by Ed (new)

His works that are available in English (such as the series from Black Coat Press) are certainly OK to be nominated, but don't know whether they'd be popular enough to win.

Coincidentally, I just finished one of J.H. Rosny's books (in French) and will review it soon.

message 28: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 10, 2019 11:23AM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Great! Please give me a couple of links, or at least titles? Thank you!

message 29: by Ed (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Great! Please give me a couple of links, or at least titles? Thank you!"

Links: The Navigators Of Space and Other Alien Encounters, The World Of The Variants and Other Strange Lands

message 30: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 10, 2019 12:00PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Thanks Ed! I've added those to the bookshelf so people looking for proto-SF nominations can be inspired to choose those or something related.