Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > The Quantum Thief -- Roll Call and First Impressions **NO SPOILERS!**

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you are reading, or plan to read, The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.

Please, **NO SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
I will be reading this but not till later in the month. I still have one of the July books to read!

message 3: by Tizzy (new)

Tizzy | 11 comments I started reading it a couple days ago, ahead of schedule.

I'm not loving it. I think there's a decent plot, but it's hidden between layers upon layers of technobabble and completely unexplained concepts that turn the book into a parade of nonsensical phrases. I know minimizing exposition is a goal, but this throws you in the middle of the world with nary an explanation to the point where the first couple chapters are just impossible to understand.

message 4: by Tizzy (new)

Tizzy | 11 comments Yeah, so after making it to 60% last night and realizing I still have no clue what's going on - or, more specifically, no clue what the stakes are or why I should care about anything there - I decided to drop this. Life is too short for bad books, as King says.

I left a review explaining how I feel about this book and why I consider it just plain bad. But yeah, this is it for me with this novel and author.

message 5: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments The group read this some time back and I had a horrible time getting into it. Just wasn't in the right mind set.

I'm going to try to give it another go and see if that improves.

message 6: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 219 comments I read the book some time ago. It is a challenge. I could be wrong, but I think the readers who most understand this book are those who graduated from a college with a science degree related to physics or computer science. I used google a lot. That worked for me. For those very curious at this point, it IS a murder mystery of sorts in a very high tech society full of tech that I have read about it high-end science magazines as a possibility. But I think the reader really has to be a computer nerd and knowledgeable about many proposed theoretical concepts in programming, and maybe social engineering and game theory.

I attacked the book as a challenge, and google was my advisor and friend.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 439 comments It is a challenge.

I remember bouncing off the first time because of the instant and complete immersion, but I got through the second. And really, there was no other way to convey the world.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I finished it Friday night and I am not sure what to think.

message 9: by John (new)

John (johnoc29) | 7 comments 92% done...i agree the complete immersion and tech language made it hard to understand what’s going on “big picture” and what’s happening immediately. It made it hard to get into at first, but I do love the descriptions of the battles Mieli has.

But I did browse a little about the story in Wikipedia. Although there are spoilers in Wiki. It helped some, with getting involved and understanding what’s going on.

At this point there are some things I understand and some things I still would like a more detailed description and explanation of. Like what exactly is a phoboi?

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Aug 20, 2018 06:43PM) (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
I am about 1/3 through it and ignoring (for now) the things I don't understand. It is kind of like when an author throws in lots of words, phrases, and sentences in a different language than the rest of the book--I usually just try to get the gist of things from the context. Although I think I will follow John's example and do a bit of reading in Wikipedia after I finish.

I was worried I would be totally lost, and I probably am, but I am enjoying the book anyway!

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I think if you don't try and make sense of his magic word salad it will fall in place. Most of the stuff has no meaning gogol and a couple of others
Thats what I did, it seemed to help me

message 12: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments Well I've been pretty useless. As usual anymore, work is nuts and we're moving in a little over a month, and I've been given a big set of new tasks.

Add in to all of that, our air quality is really bad right now. We're basically surrounded by wildfires in various states and Canada. Which pretty much means wherever the winds blows from, it brings smoke. My eyes have been burning and watering pretty much non stop for a while now.

Yeah yeah, whine, whine whine.

Anyway I gave up on the text, spent some Audible credits and grabbed the series in audio. Crossing my fingers here.