Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Jade City -- Finished Reading **SPOILERS LIKELY!**

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments If you've finished reading Jade City by Fonda Lee, this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
I liked this mob-style Asian thriller. The characters were unique and multilayered. Lan’s admirable mercy towards a young thief showed his magnanimous nature, but his refusal to recognize his own limits made him human. Shae and Wen are strong female characters that are powerful on their own terms while still being feminine. The political and magical systems came together in a believable whole.

message 3: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva | 20 comments I agree that the characters were very interesting.

The novel seemed more a gangster story than fantasy to me, but it was certainly well-written and enjoyable.

message 4: by Tizzy (new)

Tizzy | 11 comments Took me a weirdly long time to read this book, partly due to personal issues and partly because it's rather slow at first.

It's a great book tho, and I liked reading a different kind of fantasy for a change. Indeed it feels more like a gangster thriller than regular fantasy, although I found the character-based (as opposed to action-based) approach to storytelling great. It just takes a while to pick up.

message 5: by John (new)

John (johnoc29) | 7 comments Just finished this book
I really enjoyed the story. I really like the way the author was unpredictable. She developed a good base layer of society complete with legends, religion, magic and culture. While also developing multidimensional characters. still managing to keep the story and events unpredictable. Manipulating and misleading the reader subtly. Leaving hints and foreshadowing that remain vague enough to not give anything away, but align nicely when she reveals the event foreshadowed.

*spoilers*
I mainly refer to her legend of the soldier who convinced the gods to let him return, then killed the general. Just as Hilo killed the Horn Gont Ash.
after the Author surprisingly killed off the main protagonist Lan, who I was completely invested in, his good nature and his cause of keeping Kekon safe. She had Hilo step in and become the new protagonist to continue Lan’s goal with the addition of justice and revenge.
When Hilo’s situation seem dire and only going to get worse. After betrayals by Duro and then surprisingly Kaul Sen
slowly stacking the odd against them. Chances of success in the war looking bleak and Hilo’s survival a non option.
I totally bought into his sacrifice for the safety of the clan, family and Wife. Especially since the author did a great job developing other protagonist options to step in. Like Shae’s return to the clan and subtle discussion of her power, intelligence and drive that made her the biggest competition to Hilo at the school as children. Leaving another strong multifaceted character ready to take over if the author sent Hilo the same destination as Lan. Another crafty option was Anden, who’s inner conflict and mixed blood heritage, his mom’s jaded legacy. His quiet rise to the head of his class was a nice subtle hint of his potential to replace Hilo as powerful main protagonist. Again, multifaceted, conflicted, a bit of unknown ceiling with jade.
And not to mention, the last minute wedding night with Wen, which could have led to a child destined to return for revenge.
So suddenly, the author made Hilo replaceable and his noble sacrifice for his brothers only making you love his personal character more. The author was poised with replacements to keep the story moving and considering Lan, I was convinced she’d part with Hilo too.
She progressed the story and managed to create new questions around several of the protagonists.
Not to mention her development of the antagonists. she created several interesting foes and obstacles for No Peek clan.
she created easy to dislike and distrust devious villains.
Gont Ash, cruel tactical mind and power. like an evil general.
Ayt Madashi vicious and ruthless mastermind and killer. Almost godless and evil. her back story.
Tem Ben, the stone eye carver.
the jade thief kid.
Yun Duro the turncoat weatherman.
I mean, there are more layers too. the political game, the relationships with lantern men. the religion, the Penitents abilities.
I just really enjoyed the complexity and nuances of this story. I can’t really say enough. The subtle and clever way the author controls the reader.
anyway...two thumbs up

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jade City (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Fonda Lee (other topics)