Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > October 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
It's time for October nominations! Books that we have not read in the past two years are eligible for nomination. Nominations must be at least 50 years old, written by a woman, and please state whether or not you can lead.
There is no theme. Nominations end the 15th.

Thank you!

message 2: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

My nominations are The Mysteries of Udolpho and Rebecca.

The first one I have been curious to read for quite some time and want to even more now that we've just read a book in the same genre. Comparisons should be interesting!

The second I haven't read and would love to read with someone else. If you are new to the group and classics in general this would be a great read to do for October.

I can lead.

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I would like to nominate Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell and I can lead.

Elizabeth Gaskell's chilling Gothic tales blend the real and the supernatural to eerie, compelling effect. Laura Kranzler's introduction discusses how Gaskell's tales, with their ghostly doublings and transgressive passions, show the Gothic underside of female identity, domestic relations and male authority.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments I nominate Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson, first published in 1934; and The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, first published in 1918. I can lead.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1129 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I nominate Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson, first published in 1934; and The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, first published ..."

Just to let you know Carol, that November's theme is in honor of the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1. So The Return of the Soldier would be eligible for that theme if you prefer.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments Charlene wrote: "Carol wrote: "I nominate Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson, first published in 1934; and The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, fi..."

Charlene - I apologize, but I'm confused. Anastasia's first message says there is no theme. Am I missing something in terms of being able to nominate Miss Buncle's Book, as well?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 352 comments Carol wrote: "Charlene - I apologize, but I'm confused. Anastasia's first message says there is no theme.

Hi fellow Carol! No theme for October but there is a theme for November & Charlene is saying the Rebecca West book would be a great fit! :)

message 8: by Carol (last edited Aug 04, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 649 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Carol wrote: "Charlene - I apologize, but I'm confused. Anastasia's first message says there is no theme.

Hi fellow Carol! No theme for October but there is a theme for November & Charlene is sayi..."

D'oh! Thank you. We'll see what everyone's in the mood for, for October, then, and perhaps it will be two consecutive WWI novels... :)

message 9: by Cam (new)

Cam | 116 comments I really want to read Return of the Soldier so I'm hoping it makes it either October or November :p.
And so I'll hold on to my nominations until December...

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) I want to read the Return of the Soldier, too. I think it would be great to read it in November!

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Castle Rackrent and Ramona are my nominations for October.

message 12: by Mizzou (last edited Aug 08, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Mizzou | 177 comments Oooh, Charlene! I read Ramona decades ago, but when you nominated it, I remembered a lot about that story of Ramona and Alessandro. It's a memorable story of "star-crossed lovers", and I suppose in today's 'slang it might be called a "golden oldie". If there are members of this group who haven't read it, I will join you in recommending it to their attention.

message 13: by Charlene (new)

Nominations end on Wednesday!

message 14: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Here is the poll! https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the read (assuming your vote wins). Thank you!

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Voting ends this Saturday!

message 16: by Charlene (new)

I just placed my copy of Rebecca on my nightstand today.