SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Reading Discussions > Teen Fiction Discussion Forum

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

I hope everyone had a good summer and enjoyed Summer Reading. For August I thought we might do Science Fiction.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Big announcement! As part of our Post-Summer Reading Revamp, the Teen Reading Discussion Forum is now the YA Fiction Discussion Forum. What that means is we will be picking genres and books from YA Fiction to read and discuss, and ALL AGES are welcome to participate.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 135 comments Mod
Woo-hoo! I can't wait to read your new pick for the YA fiction discussion forum and chat with some fellow YA fiction lovers. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Woo-hoo indeed! I'm excited too.

This month's YA Fiction pick comes from the POPSUGAR Challenge prompt "A book about time travel." We'll be reading "Ruby Red" by Kerstin Gier.

"Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust."

You can download it for free with your library card here:
https://ssjcpl.overdrive.com/media/4C...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Next month we'll be reading a book from the banned list: The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas. Thank you everyone who voted!

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life."

Unlimited copies of the audiobook available free here:
https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/1...

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Garcia | 10 comments I’m very excited! I have wanted to read this one for a while now.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome! Glad to hear it! I posted the link for the audiobook on Hoopla because it's the easiest to get a hold of. If you prefer an ebook or physical copy, I would go on our website and put a hold on it now because that book is very popular.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, this will probably be on a poll for what we read in October:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2019 11:21AM) (new)

Any recommendations? Especially for good audiobooks? As much as I'd like to listen to the Harry Potter series again, I know there has to be something else out there.

Extra points if it is something available on Hoopla or Libby, so I can play it on my phone!