The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > I'm a Happy Boy!!!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:00AM) (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Wow, to say I'm a happy boy is a great understatement. Something wonderful just happened in my life and I had to share it with my friends. My library FINALLY added a ton of great books to their ebook selection and I couldn't be happier.

I am literally in HOG Heaven here LOL. For years my small town library didn't seem like it would ever catch up to the times. Their selection of ebooks was truly disappointing.

Now don't get me wrong I love to still read a real book. However, I think the Kindle was the greatest invention since ... well honestly I don't think there ever has been a better invention in my opinion.

Then I got a smart phone and I think I fainted three times when I found out could take my whole library with me wherever I went.

Isn't life grand? LOL

message 2: by Erna (new)

Erna | 19 comments I totally agree that ebooks from the library are the best but music and movies are a good 2nd best.

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8962 comments Mod
That's excellent. And I'm happy you're happy!!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Nancy wrote: "That's excellent. And I'm happy you're happy!!"

Thank you so much! I'm happy you're happy I'm happy LOL

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Erna wrote: "I totally agree that ebooks from the library are the best but music and movies are a good 2nd best."

Yes mam I totally agree with you

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna Davis (seattlebookmama) It's great to see a positive post, Michael. I'm in Seattle and we get lots of Kindle selections. It's lovely to be able to check out a book without leaving home, fighting traffic, and trying desperately to find accessible parking.

I also favor the Kindle app by a good margin. There's the issue of how much space physical books can take up. My house is full of shelves, but the shelves are pretty much full, so every time we start to overflow, my husband and I are in the position of which babies to kill. Heartbreaking, right? (Fiction usually loses, since we may want to refer back to the nonfiction.) So digital books are a great storage system. I won't pay full jacket price for a digital book because it's nearly impossible to share, but I adore it for library books and Net Galley selections.

The other great thing about the Kindle app is its features. I use highlighting to color code my notes. Yellow is for main subject headings or protagonists, main setting, etc; amber for well written or provocative passages; blue is for something I don't care for; red is for passages I may want to use in a review. With a physical book I could do this too, but the highlighters are messy and run dry eventually, and nobody else can read them afterward because they're all marked up.

Another Kindle feature that it took me a long time to catch onto is the search feature. It's pretty obvious that I can find out what an unknown word is by touching it, but I hadn't considered that I can choose "search the web" for something I want to see a picture of in order to visualize it, or "search this book" for a character that I've forgotten.

That said, I am underwhelmed by the actual Kindle reader (tablet). I have never wanted to pay for a top-of-the-line device, and the low cost ones don't have the color feature. They also wear out within a year or two. My very favorite thing is to use my own tablet with the Kindle app. Best of all possible worlds.

message 7: by Faith (new)

Faith | 325 comments Michael wrote: "Wow, to say I'm a happy boy is a great understatement. Something wonderful just happened in my life and I had to share it with my friends. My library FINALLY added a ton of great books to their ebo..."

Have you explored joining other libraries? You can often join other libraries in your state without paying any fees. I belong to three libraries in my state, plus one out of state library (Fairfax County) that charges only $24 annually. I borrow both ebooks and audio books.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Chaitra wrote: "I'm happy for you but apparently my eyes think otherwise when I read PDF I get a sudden blast of ache near my frontal lobes hence I need to stick to physical books. I hope u enjoy ur new stack of b..."

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's also a double edged sword for me. I work on a computer all day (overtime) so at the end of the day I have a headache and just feel drained so I know what you're talking about.

And to be perfectly honest, nothing will ever compare to holding a book in your hands, smelling the paper goodness, and turning the pages.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Faith wrote: "Michael wrote: "Wow, to say I'm a happy boy is a great understatement. Something wonderful just happened in my life and I had to share it with my friends. My library FINALLY added a ton of great bo..."

No, I've never tried and I'll tell you why. The last place I lived, about 20 miles from here, wanted to charge me $50 a year to get a card and it's just another small town nowheresville.

So I figured that was the norm. But hearing you do it and relatively inexpensively I'm going to try it. Thank you very much for the tip I appreciate it.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Donna wrote: "It's great to see a positive post, Michael. I'm in Seattle and we get lots of Kindle selections. It's lovely to be able to check out a book without leaving home, fighting traffic, and trying desper..."

Seattle, yeah you are like in the "Book Capital" of the country lol. Hey if you are considering adoption I'll take good care of your "babies" and we can even set up a adequate visitation agreement lol.

Yes, Kindle has a ton of great features I haven't figured out either. I really like the dictionary and search the web. I am a huge fan of Wikipedia I love American History (can't get enough) and looking up just about anything.

message 11: by Faith (new)

Faith | 325 comments Michael wrote: "Faith wrote: "Michael wrote: "Wow, to say I'm a happy boy is a great understatement. Something wonderful just happened in my life and I had to share it with my friends. My library FINALLY added a t..."

Try big city libraries in your own state. Some out of state libraries that I know sell memberships are Philadelphia Free Library, Houston Public and Brooklyn Public, but I don't know how much they charge.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Willis (stephenjwillis) | 63 comments I love your happiness! Enjoy it :D

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am very happy for you, Michael. I only read books in print. I work online on my computer, and I prefer having a book in my hands when I get my time to read..