Addicted to YA discussion

War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
This topic is about War Storm
Series > War Storm

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5279 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Carlie. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going.

Jasmine | 5194 comments I really disliked this book. I thought it was kind of just a coup out by the author. Despite being so long barely anything happened. The multiple perspectives became annoying because I had to listen (I did the audiobook) to six people complain about how Mare and Cal weren't choosing each other. The repetition of ideas and phrases seemed like fillers for an actual plot. The characters all seemed to merge into one. Suddenly everyone things a Democratic Republic is the way to go? That doesn't happen in real life nor did it sit well with who the characters were supposed to be. This book felt like the author was just pushing an agenda and wasn't interested in being subtle about it. I didn't enjoy it at all and I'm glad the series is over.

message 3: by Carlie (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Hi everyone, I’m Carlie! I am fairly new to this group but I am so excited to be apart of a community of book lovers! It’s so nice to find people who share your passion and want to fangirl with you and discuss all bookish things!

So I know Discussion leaders are a fairly new concept so let me know if you have any suggestions! I suggest everyone avoids spoilers early on as I’m sure many people haven’t started reading yet! If you’re dying to post about something then please use the hide spoiler feature and let us know what chapter it is from!

To hide a spoiler put your text between <*spoiler*> and <*/spoiler*> but remove the asterisks * and you should be good to go!

Can’t wait to get into discussions on this book with you all!

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Jasmine wrote: "I really disliked this book. I thought it was kind of just a coup out by the author. Despite being so long barely anything happened. The multiple perspectives became annoying because I had to liste..."

Jasmine,
I hate to hear that you didn't enjoy this book! It's never a good feeling when the final book in a series doesn't meet your expectations. I am about 30% done and loving it so far. I feel like the change in scenery gives it a different vibe than the previous books. Was there any part of the book that you did enjoy?

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Since it is so early on in the month and I'm not sure where people are at in the book I want to ask a question about King's Cage. How did everyone feel about that ending? Did you see it coming?

Personally, I was heartbroken and didn't see it coming the first time I read it. I was unaware that a 4th book was going to be written so I was floored by that conclusion. I have always been a fan of (view spoiler) (spoiler from ending of King's Cage)

Heather Cummings | 49 comments I didn't like this book either. I had the hardest time getting through it. The book was just blah! Like carlie said not a lot happened. The book went on and on and not much really happened. I found this book so lacking. ☹

Jasmine | 5194 comments Carlie wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "I really disliked this book. I thought it was kind of just a coup out by the author. Despite being so long barely anything happened. The multiple perspectives became annoying becaus..."

I enjoyed one of the battles. I don't want to give too much away. But that was about it, and I didn't feel that was enough for how large the book was.

ScarletLark I really loved seeing the characters again and watching the end of their story unfold, but I felt like the ending was lacking and very anticlimactic. It really felt like the author had planned for another epic battle scene or something and then saw how big the book was getting and decided to quickly wrap things up. Overall, I really loved this book, but there were some slow and somewhat unnecessary parts in it that I didn’t like so much.

message 9: by Hannah (last edited Aug 04, 2018 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah | 498 comments This book was my least favorite of the series, while I did enjoy some parts the majority of the book was really slow and unnecessary. While I did enjoy reading other characters point of view that really had nothing to do with the plot. The plot of the book didn't really even come into play until the end. The rest of the book was really just different characters complaining about how bad their life was and the ending of the book was kinda predictable and not something that I would have expected from Victoria Aveyard. I did think that the book was good, I just think that it could have been better.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Barns | 21 comments Im really struggling with this one. It doesn’t seem to have a purpose, its not going anywhere. I have a feeling this will be shelved along with tower of dawn ( s j mas) as a to be read later.

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) ScarletLark wrote: "I really loved seeing the characters again and watching the end of their story unfold, but I felt like the ending was lacking and very anticlimactic. It really felt like the author had planned for ..."

I have also really loved seeing the characters again and appreciating how far they've come in this series!! It has been interesting to see how each individual changed throughout.

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) So far the conversation has been primarily negative, which is valuable discussion to have if that is how people felt about the book. However, I'd love to hear some of people's positive reactions and favorite parts about this story so far.

Personally, I am about 70% done with this book and am loving it so far. It seems that I am somewhat alone in this but that's okay, that's what makes us all unique as readers!

One of my favorite parts of this story so far was the introduction of Montfort into the world building (I wish we had seen more of it). I LOVE the mountains so it was incredible to imagine what visiting Montfort would be like. The premier's house reminded me of one that would be in Velaris from the ACOTAR series!

I also feel like the book has been somewhat slower than the others but still full of action, love, conflict, and complex emotions. I know series don't always end the way we imagine them to but I really feel like (so far) Aveyard has done a great job tying up so many loose ends into one book. I still have about 170 pages left but so far I haven't been having the same experience as many others in feeling like it is rushed.

Maartje De Groot | 95 comments Hi,
I’v read the book a while ago, so can’t remember a lot of details, but I liked it. Mostly because of the way the characters are described. There’s a lot of psychology in the books. That makes them a bit slow, but also relatable

Chase | 14 comments I personally liked this book better than Kings Cage, it wass easier to get into after a year away from the series and it kept me interested a lot more. I have finished the book and thought it ended well, maybe not the way all the fans would want it but as a storyteller the ending felt right.

While in the beginning having all the different POVs was a bit distracting I felt it really all came together in the end and allowed you to have a good glimpse into how all the lives move on past the book....

Umairah | Sereadipity (sereadipity) I thought the book was ok but it was really long and for much of it nothing much was happening until suddenly everything came to a close in a really rushed and unfulfilling conclusion.

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Chase wrote: "I personally liked this book better than Kings Cage, it wass easier to get into after a year away from the series and it kept me interested a lot more. I have finished the book and thought it ended..."

I also liked it better than King's Cage!! Who is your favorite character in this series?

Hayley | 13 comments I finally finished this book tonight, and I think "finally finished" sums up my thoughts.

I was so bored! I never DNF books but I almost did with this one at 80%. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed Red Queen but it just went downhill from there.

It just felt like there was too much blah blah blah and too little action. With a title like War Storm I expected some epic battles but what should have been big moments happened off page. Cal's duel with Iris, the capture of Maven. And where did Montfort suddenly get submarines from? They're a mountain country not an advanced sea faring nation. If anything it should have been the Lakelands having that sort of thing. Every battle Mare and co seemed to be losing only to suddenly somehow win.

I did like Evangeline in this though! And I hated her in the first book but I loved how her character developed. That and she seemed to be the only one who echoed my thoughts on Mare and Cal. ie shut up and just get on with it. I was so happy when she pushed Mare towards Cal, not because I wanted them to be together, but because I thought it would stop them going on about how they couldn't be.

Jasmine | 5194 comments Did anyone else feel bothered by how big a deal Cameron was in the last book and how she barely made an appearance in this book?

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Jasmine wrote: "Did anyone else feel bothered by how big a deal Cameron was in the last book and how she barely made an appearance in this book?"

I was surprised by that but I never really liked Cameron much as a character nor did I see her importance in this series so I wasn't complaining haha (oops).

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) Carlie wrote: "Chase wrote: "I personally liked this book better than Kings Cage, it wass easier to get into after a year away from the series and it kept me interested a lot more. I have finished the book and th..."

It seems to be a common opinion that it was slow and didn't have much action but I didn't really feel that way. I wonder if that's because I listened to the audiobook for some of it and anytime you are being narrated to it makes it easier to get into it.

I'm sorry you didn't like the book and props to you for finishing it. I always tell myself I wont rate a book with 1 star because that would require me to finish said book haha! So that's an accomplishment in itself!

I agree about Evangeline! I absolutely loved her in this book and it was so fun seeing where he story led!

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) dancingdragon wrote: "I thought the book was ok but it was really long and for much of it nothing much was happening until suddenly everything came to a close in a really rushed and unfulfilling conclusion."

I think your description of the ending is spot on. I was so frustrated with it because I loved the book up until the last chapter. Unfulfilling is the word I've been looking for!

Carlie Schadler (carlieschadler) On the topic of fulfillment, what do you all think would have been a more fulfilling ending? PLEASE HIDE YOUR SPOILERS because I know not everyone has finished the book:)