Play Book Tag discussion

The Expats (Kate Moore, #1)
This topic is about The Expats
Archive: Other Books > Th Expats by Chris Pavone 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1468 comments This book definitely fits the August tag of espionage but since I read all but the last ten pages of the book in July I'm posting the review here.

Kate Moore works for the CIA. Then her husband Dexter wants to move the family to Luxembourg for his job in bank security. After the move Kate becomes a stay at home mom but she is still suspicious of people, especially another pair of newly relocated Americans. The story moves very slowly and there are lots of needlessly long descriptive passages which I ended up skimming over. I didn't find the book very suspenseful. Kate also is really stupid for someone who worked as a spy for the CIA. I figured out most of what was going on long before she did. I also didn't like that the book ends very abruptly.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments I listened to the audio of this one and I think that caused my 2-star rating. The switching time frames was really confusing in the audio I felt.

Totally agree it not being super suspenseful, I remember wanting to pull my hair about how clueless the main character was.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8505 comments So I’m not going to enjoy this… I’m still saying that you two and Jolene are recommending it to me. I hate stupid heroines. Gives women a bad name.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "So I’m not going to enjoy this… I’m still saying that you two and Jolene are recommending it to me. I hate stupid heroines. Gives women a bad name."

I hate stupid heroines and it makes me mad with authors write them in or make them the main character. Really? Woman are pretty damn smart and should be written as such.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8505 comments Rachel, what are you reading for espionage? I wish I had something to recommend to you.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8505 comments I would have gone with the Alice network but you’ve already read it.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8505 comments And you’ve read the Nightingale too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Read the both and loved them. I actually have quite a few in my TBR that are espionage so I'm getting to them this month. I've got three by Howard Kaplan that I plan on reading as well as the newest Daniel Silva book. I also just started a non fiction book Rise and Kill yesterday. I've read the first two of the Red Sparrow series and the third has been sitting on a bookshelf. I've had so many great books to read that I didn't get to it. So I think I'll get some off my TBR this month.