SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Certain Dark Things
This topic is about Certain Dark Things
What Else Are You Reading? > "Certain Dark Things" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (BR)

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Really excited for this!! It's for the IBB Challenge, but you do not have to be participating in that to read along!

Please give us chapter/page so we can follow along and use spoiler tags as needed!

Bobby | 869 comments I was able to get the e-book from my library, so I plan to start tonight! Really excited about Vampires from multiple cultures and backgrounds.

Sarah | 2610 comments My library hold came in a week ago. I’ll also be starting in the next couple days. Super excited for this one. It’s been a while since I read a good UF and I’m loving the idea of the Mexico City setting.

message 4: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Hmm, maybe I should hop on this train before I start Changeling.

Bobby | 869 comments I've only gotten two chapters in so far. Right now we've just got the typical world building and introduction of characters. It's been more than interesting enough to keep me wanting to read more. I've got a couple books going at the same time, so I might go pretty slow, but I'm enjoying it right now.

Spoilers up until the end of chapter 2. I really like (view spoiler)

message 6: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 2 stars

I read chapter 1 yesterday, but decided to start Changeling first, since it grabbed me more. I think I'll be ready to continue this tomorrow. I know it's not traditional vampires, and I did second this book, but I'm just not very enthusiastic about bloodsuckers. I've heard good things, and I'm hoping I'l be positively surprised. Chapter 1 already has some non-traditional vampire vibes.

Bobby | 869 comments So much for going slow. I'm now done with Chapter 11.

One thing I like about this book is that the world building is ongoing as we go through the plot. It's seemless so I don't feel like it's taking away from the story, but I get more information about the various vampires and their history.

message 8: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments I'm so inclined to read this as my next, but the kindle edition is so expensive :( .

message 9: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 2 stars

I also finished chapter 11 before going to sleep. I don't love urban fantasy or vampires, so I'm not loving this book either, but it is fun to be introduced to different kinds of vampires. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it really isn't my usual fare. One of the POVs is getting on my nerves a bit, but I like the range of POVs in general.

Bobby | 869 comments I'm now up to chapter 25. Getting some good action.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments I’m up through chapter 5. I’m liking the vibe so far- definitely dark and gritty.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Picking this up today! I might dump another book I'm reading and jump right in.

message 13: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bobby wrote: "I've only gotten two chapters in so far. Right now we've just got the typical world building and introduction of characters. It's been more than interesting enough to keep me wanting to read more. ..."

Bobby, I like that, too! (through ch 4)(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "Bobby wrote: "I've only gotten two chapters in so far. Right now we've just got the typical world building and introduction of characters. It's been more than interesting enough to keep me wanting ..."

lolol

Bobby | 869 comments I actually finished a couple days ago but forgot to post here. Overall I really liked it, and gave it 4 stars.

There were a couple things that were a bit off to me, but nothing too bad. The following Spoilers will be for the entire book, but mostly the ending.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

An incomplete list of the things that Atl didn't properly explain in chapter 8:

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Allison wrote: "(view spoiler)
"

Totally in agreement!

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "An incomplete list of the things that Atl didn't properly explain in chapter 8:"

Seconding/thirding! That annoyed me too.

Something else has been bothering me, I’m also on chapter 8:

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Ariana (last edited Aug 11, 2018 08:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Hi folks, I'm through Ch. 23 and I just wanted to ask for a quick possible content warning if anyone's finished already. (view spoiler)

Bobby | 869 comments Ariana I'll answer your question. I'll try to be vague but give you what you're asking for. Spoiler for the end of the book ahead (view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Bobby wrote: "Ariana I'll answer your question. I'll try to be vague but give you what you're asking for. Spoiler for the end of the book ahead [spoilers removed]"

Thank you!!

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Ariana (last edited Aug 13, 2018 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana | 657 comments I finished this last night. I liked it quite a bit! It was very engaging and well plotted.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished! Warning, it's a bit harsh, my thoughts. I get grouchy when I get kicked out of my suspension of disbelief. I was so happy to believe it!

(view spoiler)

Bobby | 869 comments Allison wrote: "Finished! Warning, it's a bit harsh, my thoughts. I get grouchy when I get kicked out of my suspension of disbelief. I was so happy to believe it!"

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Bobby wrote: "I agree the plot was a bit weak."

Ha! Bobby and Allison, I didn't have a ton of issues with the plot, but the more I think about it the more I'm tending to agree with you both. I'm coming off of Trail of Lightning, which I liked a lot of things about, but I felt like had plot holes the size of Nebraska. By comparison, Certain Dark Things felt positively seamless.

message 27: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments This is my first time doing one of these buddy reads, so forgive me if I mess anything up. I've thought about joining other ones, but I get too nervous every time. I'm only 10 chapters in because I got it pretty recently from the library. So far, seems like it will be a pretty quick read.

(view spoiler)

Also, the cover art is really beautiful on the hardcover edition I got from the library.

Have any of you read Signal to Noise? If so, how does her treatment of Mexico City compare in it versus this one? I'm always curious when authors choose the same setting for drastically different books.

message 28: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda I'm so glad you could join!!

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments. I haven't read Signal to Noise yet, but I think the prose is so strong in this book that it's now more prominent on my list.

Ariana | 657 comments Amanda wrote: "...lack of communication is definitely my least favorite way of creating conflict in books."

With you on this! Second only to MY least favorite conflict mechanism: characters making completely unmotivated terrible decisions.

I really liked the descriptions of Mexico City, the different neighborhoods and the weather, etc. I thought the sense of place was great.

message 30: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana wrote: "Bobby wrote: "I agree the plot was a bit weak."

Ha! Bobby and Allison, I didn't have a ton of issues with the plot, but the more I think about it the more I'm tending to agree with you both. I'm c..."

Spoiler tag is for end of book!

lol, I can definitely see that. Yeah, Moreno-Garcia is a wonderful writer, there's no doubt. This didn't have any of the "first book" feel that Trail of Lightning did for me. I just think this was rushed, or the product of uneven interest levels for her. I could almost see her going "omg, please let this part end, I wanna write about (view spoiler)"

I'm hoping Roanhorse gets more confident in her own voice, as she clearly has a great world. And I'd bet that Moreno-Garcia is better in something she felt more passionate about and/or didn't have a publisher yelling at her to finish quickly.

Sarah | 2610 comments Finished this today. I didn’t love it- then that ending... sheesh. If Allison’s review is harsh mine is just plain mean.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, there were a lot of consistency errors, including that one you mention.

Re the rest:

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "Yeah, there were a lot of consistency errors, including that one you mention.

Re the rest"

Were we supposed to infer that from somewhere? That’s almost more annoying to me.

message 34: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah wrote: "Allison wrote: "Yeah, there were a lot of consistency errors, including that one you mention.

Re the rest"

Were we supposed to infer that from somewhere? That’s almost more annoying to me."

I guess so? Now that I'm reviewing it, it does seem like I made this connection without it being expressly said. Bernardino mentions it right before Domingo leaves. (view spoiler)

I don't remember if they say more on it to clarify.

Sarah | 2610 comments Ahh- okay I found it: pg 98: (view spoiler)

Note to self: read more carefully. Oh well. It probably would have assisted with my frustration but I don’t know that it changes my opinion all that much.

message 36: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, if not this scene, there were others that I felt the same way about, and I read them a couple times to be sure!

message 37: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I think everyone else has probably finished this by now. I ended up getting distracted by other books and only reading a little bit a day, so I just finished chapter 30.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda, totally agree!

message 39: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments Okay, finally finished it.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think that's totally valid, Amanda! I still liked this book, despite my criticism. I just had a lot of issues with it lol.

I agree with all your questions, too. There's a lot more unanswered than answered.

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "I think everyone else has probably finished this by now. I ended up getting distracted by other books and only reading a little bit a day, so I just finished chapter 30.

I kind of wish Moreno-Garc..."

Agreeing- you have lots of valid points. I’ve read quite a few vampire novels myself- and I think that was what held me back.

I’ll give her credit for the world building and unique feel (because this didn’t feel like any of those other novels and it’s probably hard to do that with so much vampire fiction out there). I think if she had had a better editor to point out where things were unclear and tighten up the plot a bit I would have liked it more.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments OK. I am SO FAR behind on my reading, but I have finally gotten a bit into this. I haven't read any other comments yet because I like to wait until I am done with the book, so I will come back and do that.

However, I just hit a line on page 95 that completely threw me out of the story. The author used the word "kinda" but not as part of dialogue. I don't mind if dialogue has slang words, because that's how people talk. I find it super cringey when it's just in the story itself.

Ok. Enough nit-picking. Back to reading so I can come back and check out everyone else's thoughts!

message 43: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I hope you have an easier time of it going forward! Can't wait to hear what else you think :)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments I finally finished and I'm not a fan. I agree with everyone else's assessments of the weak points and the strong points weren't enough to make up for them. The different vamps were cool, but other than the three featured, it seems like she just spent a half hour or so thinking "what would be cool in a vampire" and dashed off some notes.

During the entire story I just kept remembering bad fanfic I had read. That's exactly what this felt like. I mean in chapter 34 (view spoiler)

It actually took me so long to read because I kept putting it down to go read fanfic that was more cohesive.

I'm glad I read it because I am trying really hard to read all the IBB reads. But I am glad it's over so I can move on to something else. From January through July I read 50 books. But since the beginning of August I have been stuck on this and The Gray House. (Still not finished with that one. Needed to take a break.)

Now to go frantically try to catch up on all the other books I am so far behind on!

message 45: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Totally fair, Kristin! I'm glad you put it to rest though. Upwards and onwards!