Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)
This topic is about Dread Nation
Mock Printz 2019 > August: Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) | 86 comments Dread Nation has gotten a lot of love from reviewers and readers, but how does it fare in terms of Printz criteria?

message 2: by Tatiana (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 54 comments Considering that this book has received 6 (!) starred reviews, I guess it will be up in the Printz discussion regardless, but for me it's not a real contender. I thought some elements were strong (such as racial passing, or relationship between Jane and her mom), but the overall plot was weak, especially once the story moved to Kansas.

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments Hi Tatiana. I agree. I'm not quite finished, but I'm almost done. I am really enjoying it a lot and I've plowed through it pretty quickly, but I agree about the plot especially with the move to Kansas. I think it touches on important topics and handles them well, but didn't quite get up to Printz-status for me either. Maybe it was the focus switching back and forth between shamblers and the topics it touched on, I'm not sure. But I enjoyed it either way! I really enjoyed the setting and it was refreshing and new. I look forward to the sequel. I am curious to see what other people think. (I'll be finishing it today, I have less than 100 pages left).

Tara (tjwill) | 6 comments I agree, Tatiana and Tegan. I enjoyed this book very much (4 stars for me), but it didn’t feel like a Printz book to me. At times, I felt distanced from the characters. There were a few parts, the Kansas parts specifically, that felt drawn out. However, the racial tensions and the historical changes made by the existence of the shamblers were fascinating. Jane was a strong, resilient character, and there are not many women heroes of color in historical fiction/dystopias.

Elizabeth | 1 comments I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. I felt like the main character had views that were so outlandish for the time period. But maybe that was the point? I felt like her inner monologue was too much like a girl from the 21st century - not the 19th. I get what the author was trying to accomplish, but I didn't think it was believable for the time period (shamblers excluded.)

Jenn (jennmonk) | 42 comments I kind of loved this one, but I am a sucker for alt history and horror. Jane was a stand out character and the side characters were also intriguing. I hope to learn more about them in future volumes.

As to Printz possibilities, I would love to think so, but fantasy is a hard sell, much less horror.

Bang Bang Books I wanted to like this but I didn't. The voice wasn't new, the characters were tropes, I feel the reader didn't learn anything new about slavery/civil rights. I gave a full review here on Goodreads but I don't think this is a contender. If Printz is going to look at any fantasy/science fiction it will be Blood & Bone.

message 8: by Robyn (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robyn (robyn_bravi) I think teens will find this shambler, civil war retelling an entertaining read, but for Printz standards, this book just didn't quite make it there for me. Here's my full review.

Reving | 53 comments I really, really enjoyed this! I am not sure if it is a Printz deal, but I really loved reading it. I do think it was more powerful to me after hearing the author interviewed in several places. https://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2018...

elissa (librarianbodyworkerelissa) | 52 comments There are things I like about this (I'm a fan of alternative histories), but also things that don't really work for me. I guess, mainly, I'm not a big fan of zombie stories, although I did not find this story to be at all scary (and it's not that hard to scare me--The Hazel Wood was too scary for me). It mostly held my attention. I gave it 3 stars , but guess it's closer to 3 1/2 for the memorable (to me) main character. I don't see it as Printz worthy, but who knows! I agree with Dawn about Children of Blood and Bone, which also isn't my personal favorite, but has great characters and world-building.

Maisie Iven | 5 comments I loved big parts of this book when I was reading, but every time I put it down I didn’t feel like picking it back up—it took me a long time to actually finish—I think I didn’t find the story after they go to Kansas too engaging. I definitely know some teens who would be all about this book! But I’m not sure it would be a real Printz contender.

Tegan (therowdylibrarian) | 31 comments I agree. Entertaining read, but it did slow down once they go to Kansas. Not up to Printz standards, but definitely a good one for recommendations!

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments This also took me a long time to read, over a month. I did enjoy it, it has much to offer to many different readers. To me, it's reminiscent of Rae Carson's The Gold Seer's trilogy.

In the end, I think it's well written and entertaining, with an interesting twist on historical events. I just don't think it crosses the "literary excellence" hurdle for me.