A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
This topic is about A Thousand Pieces of You
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Erin & Leo - A Thousand Pieces of You

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - added it

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5382 comments Mod
Erin & Leo - A Thousand Pieces of You

Erin | 316 comments Let me know when you want to start this one. I should be good to go on or after the 10th.
How quickly do you usually get through books? I make somewhat slow progress since my 2 kids keep me pretty busy.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments I'm going to be busy as well, so I suppose I will take it easy too :) I guess I will read it in small chunks during two weeks

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Hi, I'm ready to start if you are :-)

Erin | 316 comments Perfect! I just finished the book I was reading so I’m ready too!

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments great :-) I guess I'll read the first two chapters today and write what I think in spoiler tags later

Erin | 316 comments I should be able to get through the first two today too. I finished chapter one since it was very short. It brought to mind the show Quantum Leap.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Yes, the first one is pretty short, and the second one is mostly exposition. I feel like it is written a bit clumsily. I hope it gets better when we get more action.
Also, I already suspect that Theo killed Marguerite's father an Paul is being framed. I mean, someone cut her father's breaks and Theo is good in fixing up cars...

Erin | 316 comments Interesting theory about Theo... But why would Theo present the idea of going after Paul? Why not let everyone believe Paul did it but that there’s no way to go after him? I suppose we shall see!
I’m coming off a book I really didn’t enjoy (I basically forced myself to finish it because it got such good reviews and was on my TBR list for quite awhile), so this one will probably benefit from that. I’m definitely enjoying it more so far.
Have you read Dark Matter? I read it earlier this year. It was the first (only) book I’ve read that dealt with the multiverse and I really enjoyed it. We’ll see if this can live up to that. There are already several differences between how the multiverse works in each of the stories.
And I love that her dad’s name is Henry! That’s my son’s name! :-)
I think I should be able to read at least one more chapter today. I noticed there are 27 in all. Would you like to aim for 3 chapters a day? Or is that too much?

message 10: by Leo(nie) (last edited Aug 13, 2018 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Maybe Theo wants the Firebird prototype back.
I haven't read Dark Matter yet, but maybe I should give it a try :)
I won't read another chapter today, but I'll just read four chapters tomorrow to catch up.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments We can stick to 2 chapters a day if that’s better for you. I’m typically the slower reader when I do buddy reads but I have no problem reading multiple books at the same time and can take this one slow if you want.
I would definitely recommend Dark Matter. I actually did recommend it to my brother, though since it was the first book I read dealing with the multiverse, I didn’t exactly have much to compare it to. One of my goodreads “friends” who’s a huge sci-fi buff and has read a lot of books of that kind wasn’t too impressed with it and felt there are others done better.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments I can manage three chapters a day :-) Today I'll read until chapter six

message 13: by Erin (last edited Aug 14, 2018 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Just finished chapter five. I think I see what you mean by clumsy writing. It’s a bit awkward in places.
I’m not enjoying it as much as Dark Matter at this point, but it’s still better than the last book I read.
Theo’s jealousy lends more support to your theory that he did it... Maybe Paul fled because he knew Theo killed Henry and that Theo knew he knew so Paul was afraid Theo would kill him next, which is what Theo is actually planning to do.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments I finished chapter six which gives us more insight in this weird love triangle and which makes Theo look much less trustworthy than Marguerite led us to believe in the beginning...
I don't know if I actually like her that much. She seems to not really be good in guessing other people's intentions.
Also, I suppose I should have expected the focus on the relationships and feels, but I would have liked a bit more world building. I mean, mulitverse stories have a lot of potential to show different kinds of worlds and societies, and at the moment the book doesn't really seem to care about it, except showing of some technolgical gadgets.
It's possible that Paul fled persecution for being framed for Henry's murder or he wants to keep the Firebird safe from Theo. Theo might also have tricked Paul in some way to use the Firebird, so that his disappearance right after Henry's death would put suspicion on Paul.
But we'll see. Maybe this Triad Corporation which built the strange device which went of in chapter six has something to do with the mystery.

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I’ve finished six now as well. I’m not a huge fan of Marguerite or the romance aspect of the story either. And yeah, could be Triad is involved somehow.

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments So why are they so certain Paul murdered Henry? I know he disappeared with the firebird shortly after, but that’s not exactly proof of anything. Did I miss something? The author is really trying to pound the belief that Paul is guilty into us. It’s getting a little annoying...

message 17: by Erin (last edited Aug 15, 2018 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I’m also wondering if maybe Henry’s death was faked. Marguerite mentions they couldn’t have a real funeral, couldn’t give him a true resting place which leads me to believe they never actually found his body and are just assuming he died. So maybe he (or someone else) faked his death to cover his disappearance. Maybe he was kidnapped.

message 18: by Leo(nie) (last edited Aug 15, 2018 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments I like the "Henry's death was faked" hypothesis, it fits with all the strangeness surrounding the car accident.
I finished chapter 9 and to no one's surprise, it seems Paul has not killed Henry, even though Marguerite tried to drive the point home very strongly. I think this would have made more impact on me, if the book had ever given us real evidence of his guilt. Which it never did which makes Marguerite a highly untrustworthy narrator for me.
But I like Paul and the scenes he is in, even though he refuses to tell Marguerite anything in chapter 9. I suppose if he would explain things we wouldn't have a book.

message 19: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I completely agree with everything in your last post!

message 20: by Leo(nie) (last edited Aug 16, 2018 01:47AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments So, finished chapter 12. I like Marguerite more when Theo is not around, to be honest. I think she's very fast to make judgements about people. But sometimes her instincts are right, like with her "brother" Vladimir in the Tsar-dimension, so maybe that's not necessarily bad.
I'm wondering if I'm to hard on Marguerite. Maybe the problem is, that even though this is a first person narrative I don't feel that I have a clear image of her as a consistent individual. I mean we know what she looks like and that she likes to paint. That she just seems to go with the flow, because in my opinion, her convictions and feelings shift the whole time.
And then she has outbursts like the one about the nature of grief or the industrial revolution in chapter 12 and you are just wondering, is this the same person?

message 21: by Erin (last edited Aug 16, 2018 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Marguerite is definitely quick to make judgements/decisions. I don’t find her particularly relatable.
I’m guessing she’s going to have her father try to fix the firebird, even though he doesn’t have the background for it in this world, like Marty needed Doc from the past to fix the DeLorean time machine he hadn’t yet invented so Marty could get Back to the Future :-P

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments yeah, most likely :-D I mean, everything in this book falls conveniently into place all the time, so it will work for sure

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I certainly thought it was quite convenient that Paul happens to be Marguerite’s personal guard in this latest world. And I tried to convince myself this was ok because of Paul’s theory about fate/destiny, that there’s a force that brings certain individuals together in multiple worlds. Yet if that’s the case, why hadn’t they been brought together in the previous world? After Paul jumped to a new world, the Paul he left behind had no idea who Marguerite was.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments But they were still very close together, geographically speaking. Quite a coincidence that in their dimension they live both in California and in the next dimension they both live in England. Theo seems usually to be much farther away.

message 25: by Leo(nie) (last edited Aug 17, 2018 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Chapter 13 through 15 were actually fun to read, even though Marguerite going on about how much she loves Paul is very overdramatic. But it's a young adult romance so who am I to complain.
I like the action, costumes and drama of the Romanov-dimension, I felt like the author put much more love into it than into the futuristic dimension before. She also build up the Russian/Romanov angle on Marguerite's mother from the beginning, so I suppose that was more of a priority.

Spoiler Chapter 15
(view spoiler)

message 26: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Though it seems far fetched, I’m enjoying this world as well. It feels more like she travelled in time. But in the multiverse, anything that could ever happen did happen in one world or another so I suppose it’s not actually as far fetched as it feels.

It occurred to me as well that she could quite possibly get this version of herself pregnant, which would be pretty shitty. I appreciate that she thinks to herself, “There’s no getting past the fact that I made the decision for her. The night she spent with the man she loves belongs to me instead; it’s a theft I could never repay.” But yeah, it was completely wrong. I think the author shouldn’t have taken it beyond kissing.

I wonder if we’ll ever get some sort of explanation as to why Marguerite doesn’t need the “reminders” so she doesn’t lose herself the way both Theo and Paul have.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments If this is never explained I will be disappointed. I will have guests tomorrow, so most likely I won't be able to read 3 chapters, but I will catch up to chapter 21 on Sunday.

message 28: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Enjoy your time with your guests! I’ll post in spoilers until you’re caught up.

message 29: by Erin (last edited Aug 18, 2018 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Thoughts on Ch. 16/17
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Considering the information we’re given in chapter 20, (view spoiler)

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Hi, I didn't get to read today but tomorrow I'll catch up to you :-)

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments No worries! I’ll just keep posting my thoughts in spoilers until then.
I’m finding that 3 chapters a day is the perfect pace for me.

message 33: by Erin (last edited Aug 20, 2018 03:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Chapter 24 revelation, (view spoiler)

At this point, I’m feeling like there was a good storyline here, but it just wasn’t executed very well. As I read, I’m constantly finding myself rewriting things in my head to make it better, from my viewpoint anyway.

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments So I finished chapter 19. Is Marguerite serious? Now she's all over in doubt again? I mean, she must have realized by now that Paul erased her parents data and vanished because he did not want the research in the hands of the Triad corporation. So that he did also do it in the next dimension shouldn't really put everything in a different light for her, or am I wrong?
And Theo going on about how Paul is a murderer without any evidence is annoying. In his letter he writes they should wait for all the facts until they make judgements, but last time he saw Paul he just attacked him and tried to kill him.

message 35: by Leo(nie) (last edited Aug 20, 2018 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Erin wrote: "Considering the information we’re given in chapter 20,"
You make a good point, I don't see what the difference really is if you are considering the ethics.
I finished chapter 21 now and will continue tomorrow, maybe even finish it.

message 36: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I went ahead and finished it today because a book I’d been eagerly awaiting became available at the library.

(view spoiler)

Overall, I felt it deserved 2.5/5 stars and since my last book was worse, I generously rounded up to 3 stars. As I mentioned before, the storyline was decent, but parts of it were weak and could have been done better.

message 37: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I’m also not really sure I understand what the title refers to...

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments Erin wrote: "Chapter 24 revelation,

At this point, I’m feeling like there was a good storyline here, but it just wasn’t executed very well. As I read, I’m constantly finding myself rewriting..."

I'm with you, the writing just annoys me. I almost have to force myself to finish this I really don't care for the characters at all.

message 39: by Erin (last edited Aug 21, 2018 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Yeah, I definitely wasn’t very engaged with the story by the end either!

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments I'm finished, yay. So I'll give it two stars then it is even ;-)
I think when Marguerite took Theo's Firebird and stranded him was the only point in the story that I liked her. And you are right, the whole motivation for the plot is very weak. I won't waste my time with the rest of the trilogy.
Maybe the title refers to the different facets of Paul?

message 41: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments I don’t plan to continue with the series either. I agree that it was hard to care about any of the characters - which in turn made it hard to care what happened to them.

I figured the “pieces of you” part of the title referred to all the different versions of oneself (or Paul or Marguerite) in all the different dimensions. But why “a thousand?” There are infinite dimensions with infinite versions of any given person. Why not name it “Infinite Pieces of You” or just “Pieces of You?” (I confess “Infinite Pieces of You” doesn’t sound as good.)
It’s a personal thing of mine, finding the meaning in the title of a book. Often it’s obvious. Sometimes it requires some reflection. On a couple of occasions I’ve had to Google it (which I did this time but was unable to find an answer).
Maybe it just refers to the fact that Marguerite would be drawn to any version of Paul, to all his “pieces” in the multiverse, whether she encounters one, ten, a hundred or even a thousand...
Sorry I ramble :-P

Leo(nie) (lemongreen_bird) | 311 comments No problem :-D I agree that it could be either Marguerite or Paul referred to in the title. At some point I just stopped to care, because it was so hard for me to get through the book.
I hope your next book is much more fun :-)

message 43: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin | 316 comments Thanks! You too!