Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Know who I Am?---Roy Lichtenstein

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 01, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Heather _______________ created sculptural animal figures, as well as portraits and still life works influenced by the work of Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. __________ also took a class with Hoyt Leon Sherman, whose theories about the connection between vision and perception, or "organized perception," became important concepts for ______________ as his work evolved.

In 1943, ______________ was drafted into the Army...after receiving an honorable discharge in 1946, the artist returned to OSU to complete his Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts. The next year he joined the graduate program at the University and served as an art instructor. His art at this time was inspired by aspects of Abstract Expressionism and biomorphic Surrealism.

His earlier paintings featured musicians, street workers, and race car drivers rendered in biomorphic shapes and in a style that recalled the Surrealist work of Paul Klee. Over the next several years, ______________'s paintings featured birds and insects in this same Surrealist style, as well as medieval motifs, particularly imagery of knights and dragons.

In his first solo show in New York, at Carlebach Gallery (1951), he exhibited three-dimensional assemblages of kings and horses made of wood, metal, and found objects.

After moving to Cleveland with [his wife], ________________ took on a number of commercial engineering and drafting jobs. His work at this time focused on cowboy and Native American motifs; more significantly, he created a rotating easel to be able to easily paint from all angles.

"I paint my own pictures upside down or sideways. I often don't even remember what most of them are about... The subjects aren't what hold my interest."

Those were his earlier years, if I give any further information it will be way too easy. If you need clues along the way, I will give you more of that information. Good luck!

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Arthur Dove? The biomorphic surrealism sticks in my head.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Geoffrey wrote: "Arthur Dove? The biomorphic surrealism sticks in my head."

Don't let that stay with you.

Clue Used Ben-Day dots on his first cartoon.

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I really had to work on that because, yes, the information you provided was completely off from how we know this artist. It was the dates that got me too it more than anything.

Roy Lichtenstein?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Ellen wrote: "I really had to work on that because, yes, the information you provided was completely off from how we know this artist. It was the dates that got me too it more than anything.

Roy Lichtenstein?"

Way to go, Ellen! Yes, I know the information I gave is not how we know him now. As I read on, it would have all given it away right off if I'd given later information. But you did great, you got it! Now we know a little bit of lesser-known information about Lichtenstein.

message 6: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3048 comments My thought exactly!
Whaam!

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Dirk wrote: "My thought exactly!
Whaam!

"

That's a good picture, Dirk! It does go with my comment after Ellen figured it out. Thank you for posting this one! What is the title?

message 8: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3048 comments That's what it is called: Whaam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaam!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Dirk wrote: "That's what it is called: Whaam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaam!"

Cool! I surmised as much, but thank you for the link, Dirk!

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Aw shucks. My favorite is the one about getting a divorce if the marriage doesn`t work out.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather I don’t know that one, are you being facetious again? Lol why don’t you post it?

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I don`t know how

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather What’s the title?