The Bee's Bookshelf discussion

As Brave As You
This topic is about As Brave As You
As Brave As You (August 2018) > As Brave As You

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Molly Becker (mdbecker) | 143 comments Mod
Welcome to August! We'll use this space to talk about our favorite moments, words and characters from As Brave As You by Jason Reynolds. It's a fun story about two brothers and how they spend their summer. How are you spending your summer? We'd love to hear!

Marianne (mduerre1) | 10 comments I enjoyed this book. Ernie and Genie, although quite different, were loyal brothers and friends. I loved the sweet relationship Genie had with his grandpa! One of my favorite parts was when Genie named the birds in the inside-outside room the Jackson Five.

Marianne wrote: "I enjoyed this book. Ernie and Genie, although quite different, were loyal brothers and friends. I loved the sweet relationship Genie had with his grandpa! One of my favorite parts was when Genie n..."

I'm so glad you liked the book, Marianne! Have you read anything else by Jason Reynolds? I haven't yet, but this book made me want to check out his other stuff!

message 4: by Emilio (new)

Emilio | 17 comments I liked the book and it was kind of weird when just 1 wheel broke off of the fire truck. Poopidity was a new word to me (well, if it's a word). Also, it was funny how the Grandma was being all tough to Crab then, she would call Genie and Ernie her "grandbabies".

Overall, I think it had a good ending and it had good characters.

message 5: by Emilio (new)

Emilio | 17 comments Marianne wrote: "I enjoyed this book. Ernie and Genie, although quite different, were loyal brothers and friends. I loved the sweet relationship Genie had with his grandpa! One of my favorite parts was when Genie n..."
Hi Marianne, I liked it, too, when he named the birds after the Jackson five and I also think Genie has a good relationship with his grandfather.
Do you have any birds or other pets? If so, who did you name them after?
Emilio

Marianne (mduerre1) | 10 comments Hi Emilio. Poopidity is a funny word!
I have a small dog named Gus. He came from a rescue, and was already named Angus. My family shortened it to Gus! It suits his personality better. 😊 I had a kitten when I was much younger that I named Taffy - she was a rusty-orange color. How about you? Any pets?

Kennedy | 40 comments Well... I know you weren't talking to me, but I have a cat named Lucy. : ) Also, I can kind-of relate with Genie and Brooke (grandpop).
Everybody thinks I have a boy's name. I mean, in the standardized (IOWA) tests, people filled the gender bubble in for me and it was "male". Also, this teacher that was looking at my brother's and my test, she was like "Your boys did so well!" BoyS? really???

message 8: by Emilio (last edited Oct 11, 2018 04:56PM) (new)

Emilio | 17 comments Marianne wrote: "Hi Emilio. Poopidity is a funny word!
I have a small dog named Gus. He came from a rescue, and was already named Angus. My family shortened it to Gus! It suits his personality better. 😊 I had a kit..."

Hi I have a dog named Russel and I think his name fits him too

Marianne (mduerre1) | 10 comments Hi Kennedy. I think you have a cool name! I used to teach 4th grade, and liked learning the unique names of my students. I still enjoy reading all kinds of books.

Emilio wrote: "Hi I have a dog named Russel and I think hisname fits him too."

Hey, Emilio! I have a dog named Chester and I can't imagine him having any other name! In September's book, The Incredible Magic of Being, the main character, Julian, talks a lot about dogs and their names. I can't wait to read what you guys think of the book!

message 11: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hyde (tylervrhyde) | 15 comments Mod
Kennedy wrote: "Well... I know you weren't talking to me, but I have a cat named Lucy. : ) Also, I can kind-of relate with Genie and Brooke (grandpop).
Everybody thinks I have a boy's name. I mean, in the standard..."

Oh my goodness, Kennedy. I completely understand where you're coming from!

People always think I'm a boy if they just see my name. And I once got placed in the boys' group instead of the girls' group for a school function and had to spend the entire time with all the boys.

I personally adore your name, and I associate it more with girls than boys!

Kennedy | 40 comments Thank you! I like your name too! And yes... it's so bad when someone calls me a boy. I completely understand.