Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Plays > August Classic Play: The Three Sisters

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new)

Rosemarie | 11280 comments Mod
This month's play is The Three Sisters by the Russian author Anton Chekhov.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) | 104 comments Just got it from the library (in German translation) and will start reading on the weekend.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1371 comments I have this as an audiobook on hold at my library and should be able to get it in about 2 weeks.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new)

I am in for this one as well. I plan on reading it around mid-month.

message 5: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 803 comments I'm in too. I will start with it in a couple of days time.

message 6: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) me too - just got to go and find it - hope to start in the next couple of week

message 7: by Anetq (new)

Anetq Oooh I might join this (just ordered a copy from my library) haven't read any of his yet (but a lot of the other Russians)...

message 8: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 803 comments Finished reading and liked it. But I feel I would have liked it more had I seen a performance. I think it is best performed than read.

message 9: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Ah, yeah, plays are not always easy to read - I'm going to try and read this next week

message 10: by Anetq (new)

Anetq Book arrived! Did anybody start reading yet?

message 11: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Great!!! I'm starting this Monday

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) | 104 comments Having finished reading the second act I start getting a feeling for Chekhov's style. The personage of the play seems to act along rather than with each other. The characters do not resemble real people but rather impersonalized aspects of ourselves. But all of them feel unsatisfied if not unhappy with their current life and look for a change, either by moving to Moscow (the three sisters), marrying (Selyonyj), having an affair (Natasha), winning in hazard (Andrej) or doing some real work (Tuzenbach).

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Has anyone tried the LA Theatre Works for their plays?

I found several plays on sale at Audible and LA Theater Works has their own page:
https://latw.org/

The edition I have features:

Jennifer Westfeldt as Masha
Tessa Thompson as Irina
Sarah Zimmerman as Olga
Jon Hamm as Vershinin
Josh Clark as Solyony and Rode
Josh Cooke as Kulygin
Dan Donohue as Tuzenbach
Pamela Dunlap as Anfisa
Marc Halsey as Fedotik
Rebecca Mozo as Natasha
Robert Pine as Chebutykin/Ferapont
Reid Scott as Andrei

https://latw.org/title/three-sisters

Looking forward to discussing this.

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) | 104 comments Done with the 3rd act. Finally there is some action and real emotions after all the boredom and tedium of the characters in the first two acts.

message 15: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Peter wrote: "Done with the 3rd act. Finally there is some action and real emotions after all the boredom and tedium of the characters in the first two acts."

I'm having a different experience reading this. For me, the first two, I just thought tension - where is all this going.

I've read up to third act as well - Natalia - I didn't see that coming

message 16: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new)

I have read two acts so far and agree they have tedious lives. Their dream is to go to Moscow, because everything will be better there. So they think.
The sisters lives seem empty somehow. And Natasha is very manipulative and selfish.

message 17: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I've finished it - I won't say anymore, let you all read it.

I think Chekhov wrote it so we would really feel their tedium and emptiness

but I guess this from the dialogue exchanges

message 18: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new)

I have just finished and found it a sad play.
Despite the sadnesss, I think it is my favourite play of Chekhov's. The characters were not silly and frivolous like in The Cherry Orchard. Irina and Olga were both working for a living and so was Masha's husband. These were not idle aristocrats.

message 19: by Inese (new)

Inese Okonova | 75 comments To my mind this play is a perfect reflection of a vanishing era. All the characters belong to a doomed society soon to be swept away by events of 1905 and 1917 (Even Natalia). I think they realize that their time is ending, but they are weak and unable to change anything. And I have a feeling this is a true mirror of end of 19th Ct in Russia.
And this is only if we look from the historical point of view. Apart of the background I think we can recognize similar people in any given era. They realize the emptiness of their lives but are unable to change anything about it.
I have to admit I have seen numerous interpretations of Three sisters. Chekhov has been one of the favorites on stages in Latvia both in Soviet times and now in independent Latvia. No escape :)

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) | 104 comments Thank you for your great insight, Inese. I read that Čechov wrote the play in 1900, did he already feel the decline of the empire? Seeing this on stage must be a much stronger impression than just reading. With regard to the characters I got sometimes the feeling that they almost one-dimensional and as such represent rather traits of personality than a full person.

message 21: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Inese that's a good take on Chekhov's Three Sisters. The only thing I was not sure about was about these characters being weak - I saw them as very strong, y'know the silent kind of strong. They could not change their environemnt but they still carried on.

Yep, the characters could be easily read as 1D and flat, and Peter, I see that, and would have seen these characters similarly but as I was reading I got the sense that their depth came from being a reflection of each other.

I'm not sure if that makes sense. It's interesting how we all read differently.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Three Sisters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anton Chekhov (other topics)