Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1)
This topic is about Titus Groan
Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > August Science Fiction and Fantasy: Titus Groan

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 9721 comments Mod
We are reading part one of The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake--Titus Groan.

Steinar Sigurdsson (snugget) | 1 comments Fantastic read, I don't think I've read anything so vivid and poetic and weird, planning to read the rest of the books soon.

message 3: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new) - added it

Patrick | 698 comments Mod
I’m excited to read it. I’ve heard great things about it. We’re reading the rest of the series over the next few months!

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am on page 86 of 500+ pages. It is an original work so far, different from anything I have read- weird and wonderful.

message 5: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Aug 02, 2018 04:58PM) (new)

Lesle | 5756 comments Mod
Welcome Steinar to the Group and Patrick's choice for this month glad you are enjoying it!

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Habbie Welcome to the discussion Steinar. I think, vivid, poetic and weird ticks all the boxes. Must read it now!

message 7: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like the way Peake writes. The book is entertaining and strange.

message 8: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 3574 comments A friend of mine raved about Titus but I could not get into it. It is certainly a most strange mental product.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am reading it in small doses. I generally have a number of books on the go at the same time, usually of different kinds of genres.

message 10: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 3574 comments Good luck with it Rosemarie. This friend had a book entitled Asian Drama (actually about politics not plays). He wrote an outline for a Star Trek episode where Kirk and Uhura go beyond their kiss, and an interesting secret is revealed.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sounds like an very interesting friend.

message 12: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 3574 comments He certainly was. Unfortunately I have lost touch with him, but he did help me through my university time.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Before the days of the internet, it was easy to lose touch with friends. After university my husband and I moved to various provinces in Canada due to his work and thusly I lost contact with high school and university friends. I also two little darlings to keep me busy.

To bring this back to Titus Groan, the Groans are one weird family, especially
Titus' mother. What is her obsession with white cats and wild birds?
Titus gets dropped on the floor and she shows how little she cares.

The writing in this book is very witty, and the characters are over the top and original.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am 45% of the way through the book and have gotten to know the main characters. The majority of them live in emotional or physical isolation. Fuchsia loves Nannie by generally is off on her own. Lord Groan and Lady Groan can't stand each other, and now that Titus is born they have no reason to be together at all. The twin sisters are creepy.
And Gormenghast is even bigger than I thought, and very very strange.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am halfway through the book and Steerpike is planning some dastardly deeds.
The title character of the book is an infant so the book is really about everybody but the little guy. Things happen to him, but he is too young to do anything.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Something very dramatic has just happened!

message 17: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new) - added it

Patrick | 698 comments Mod
Can’t wait to start it!

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is one weird and wonderful book-- in a category all by itself.

message 19: by fp63 (new) - rated it 2 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Hello, I just finished the book.
Sorry to be different, but I didn't like very much this one. I was constantly putting effort to read it. I didn't read it with great pleasure, maybe only a little in the middle, justifying the 2 stars instead of 1 star...
The beginning was long and with a lot of descriptions, I had to wait the 200th page to see some action.
And then the characters are somewhat grotesque but heavy to support in the long run. All along the text I was asking to myself: "Do I stop or do I continue to read until the end?" I finished because of the challenge, but I certainly don't want to read the next volumes.

Having read some classics since July, I haven't read yet something I would have find wonderful and interesting to read to the point I want to continue the book until the end. I'm less and less convinced that classical books are interesting to read...
Am I wrong?

For example, a book that I absolutely loved to read was Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. But it's not a classic. I'll try Dune that the group read before, because I read it a long time ago and I loved the video game.

I would be happy to have your points of view about classic books vs recent books. Maybe I should stop reading classics and read more modern books to have pleasure in reading?

message 20: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

There are so many different types of classic books that I hope you find something to your test.
Have you read anything by John Steinbeck or Ray Bradbury? They are 20th century writers and I think both are amazing writers. Titus Groan is not for everyone.
Dune and Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury are my two favourite science fiction novels, so far.
Reading should be enjoyable, but every once in a while we need to try something new, which is why I finally read Dracula--and really liked it.
I am so glad you finished the book--you deserve a prize. 🏅🍰👏

message 21: by fp63 (new) - rated it 2 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Hi Rosemarie
Your comment is heartwarming, I feel less lonely when you say that it is not for everyone. Thanks for the fictional prize :)
Reading your comment made realize that I spent too much time forcing myself to read not for pleasure. That may explain my frustration nowadays. I feel motivated to read Dune after this!
Thank you

message 22: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad to help. I just forced myself to finish a novel by Willa Cather called One of Ours, which is not nearly as good as O Pioneers, which we read with this group not that long ago. I really liked that one.
I only liked the first Dune novel. I read two of the others and was so disappointed.

message 23: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Ruppell | 30 comments fp63 wrote: "Hello, I just finished the book.
Sorry to be different, but I didn't like very much this one. I was constantly putting effort to read it. I didn't read it with great pleasure, maybe only a little ..."

Hi! For modern classics have you ready any James Michener? Or Bryce Courtenay Or even Mary Renault for that "classic" feel with the ancient meditteranean subject matter.... For action Alexandre Dumas is all time fave of mine.

message 24: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Ruppell | 30 comments Have wanted to read this book so happy there is a group read happening. It's pretty surreal and though kinda slow, it gets into my imagination. Plus I like his writing (he's English right?!) , it's got humor but then quickly sprials into quirkiness or just creepiness. I'm not far in enough for the story, whatever exaclty that will turn into.

message 25: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma, I am glad you are enjoyin the book. It is surreal but after a while it starts to make some kind of fantatic sense.

message 26: by fp63 (new) - rated it 2 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Emma wrote: Hi! For modern classics have you ready any James Michener? Or Bryce Courtenay Or even Mary Renault for that "classic" feel with the ancient meditteranean subject matter.... For action Alexandre Dumas is all time fave of mine.

Hi! I didn't read all these authors. I know I have a lot of books I have to read, especially classics, that is why I joined the group. It gives me an objective and a support to motivate me to read some known-to-be-good books.
Titus Groan is very special, in fact I think you can appreciate it if you take your time (I don't, I just want to read a lot of books in a short span of time) and if you appreciate the gloomy and restrained atmosphere.

I began to read Dune, I feel a lot better :) But I think the French translation is not very good, what a pity.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

That is a pity.

message 28: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Ruppell | 30 comments I'm not sure if this august thread is still active but... getting further in now and liking it. It seems to read differently during the sections focusing on the mud dwellers. Their dialog is also really different. I'm guessing this is an intentional contrast. The dialog for some of the castle characters is wacky & much snappier. I'm freaked out by the chef for sure!

message 29: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma, I am terrified of the chef!
All our discussion threads stay active so that members can comment at any time.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Titus Groan (other topics)
The Gormenghast Trilogy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mervyn Peake (other topics)