Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > October 2018 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin B. (last edited Aug 02, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) ***Please Read all Guidelines Before Nominating***

1. All nominations must meet the following criteria:
-Published in or after 1960, but at least 6 months old
-No more than 5,000 Goodreads ratings
-No self-promotion

2. Each member may nominate ONE book per month

3. Each member may also second ONE book per month
If someone else nominates a book that you are interested in, simply post that you would like to SECOND that book to give it another nomination vote.

4. We will vote on the five books that have the most seconds for the month's read
If less than five books receive seconds, I will pick whatever other nominated books have the highest star rating to round out the five needed for the poll.

5. Please use the "add book/author" link above the comment box to add a link to the book you are nominating. If you are in the mobile app and are unable to use this option, please provide the name of the book and the full name of the author. There are a lot of books out there with the same name and sometimes it's tricky to track down the right one.

6. Just the link to the book (or the name of the book and author) are all you need to provide. Keeping the nomination comments short and sweet helps the thread stay organized and easy to read.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (busybookbee) | 1 comments Before Night Falls by Reinaldo Arenas

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Benjey | 4 comments I can't nominate my book on the Craigheads, so I will nominate their sister's book, My Side of the Mountain, because the twins influenced it so much. The 40th anniversary of the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act on October 2 makes this timely:

“What the Kennedys are to politics, the less-famous Craigheads are to nature—a prolific and accomplished clan.” Kirkus Reviews

When you swim, fish, canoe or kayak, keep in mind when our rivers and streams weren’t always clean. Their current state is due in large part to a pair of identical twins who took upon themselves the task of protecting America’s waterways.

A half-century ago on October 2, 1968, President Lyndon Baines Johnson signed the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act, putting into law the protections for streams Frank Jr. and John Craighead had envisioned for years. No longer living, the identical twins cannot celebrate with us the golden anniversary of the work of which John Craighead was most proud. Selecting this one achievement from the twins’ numerous others indicates how important it was.

Growing up in the Chevy Chase section of Washington, DC in the 1920s and ‘30s, the twins spent much of their free time during the school year exploring along the nearby Potomac River. They spent their entire summers in and along the Yellow Breeches Creek. It is literally in the backyard of what they called “their ancestral home,” the house at Craighead Station, Pennsylvania in which their father, the renowned forest entomologist Frank “Rattlesnake” Craighead, was born. It was there along the Yellow Breeches the 15-year-olds trained their first Cooper’s hawks for falconry. This effort led to their first National Geographic Magazine article, which was published in the July 1937 edition, accompanied by 25 of their photographs.

Although Penn State undergrads, their careers as researchers and National Geographic contributors were already launched. This article, and their 1939 book that followed, Hawks in the Hand: Adventures in Photography and Falconry, popularized the previously unpracticed sport in North America.

Although their early careers took them in such diverse directions as traveling to India, it was the physical education course, P.E.M. 39, they taught as University of Michigan Ph.D. candidates that prepared them for their WW II activities. Students referred to it as “the commando course” because of its rigor. The Navy commissioned them to expand upon this course to develop and operate a wilderness survival school for downed pilots. After the war, their doctoral dissertations studying wildlife populations on a Ypsilanti, Michigan farm broke new ground.

As working scientists, the twins continued to go where others had not been. While performing the first and most influential study of grizzly bears and pioneering the use of radio telemetry in tracking large mammals concern for flowing waters was never out of their minds. Perhaps their love for waters began with swimming in and catching eels on a trout line out of the Yellow Breeches to please their grandfather when they were small boys.

Or it could have been their weekend excursions canoeing the Potomac alone and with their father and sister, Newbery-winning author Jean Craighead George. Regardless of when this love started, it remained throughout the twins’ lives.

After completing their doctorate degrees at Michigan, the Craigheads rafted the Salmon and Snake rivers while conducting survival training from a base in McCall, Idaho, deepening their love for these waters. Seeing the rapid decline of these rivers, as a result of dams built by the Corps of Engineers across the country, distressed the twins. This concern prompted actions on their part, including making films for National Geographic television specials, writing articles to educate the public about the problem and fighting the building of dams, starting with the Spruce Park dam.

John Craighead first proposed the idea of protecting a system of “wild rivers” with an article he presented at a conference at Montana State University in 1957. Moving this concept toward legislation began during their grizzly bear study when they learned of plans to build a hydroelectric dam on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. In 1958 Frank Jr. prepared a paper on river classification at the urging of Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall. The brothers worked for 14 years writing papers and gathering data to support legislation for a federal action to protect the waters they so loved. They began work on “Wild River,” a National Geographic television special to generate public support for the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. However, the bill, containing much of the Craigheads’ language, was enacted before their film could be released.

message 4: by John (last edited Aug 02, 2018 01:17PM) (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 21 comments I would like to recommend The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant. A blurb by John Connolly states that this book is "both a wonderful first novel and a strange, haunting modern fairy tale." I thought that it might be an appropriate book for October.

After Pia’s grandmother dies in a freak accident, the neighbors in her little German hometown of Bad Münstereifel glance at Pia with wary eyes. But then something else captures the community’s attention: the vanishing of Katharina Linden. Katharina was last seen at a parade, dressed as Snow White. Then, like a character in a Grimm’s fairy tale, she disappeared. Ten-year-old Pia and her only friend, the unpopular StinkStefan, suspect that Katharina has been spirited away by the supernatural. Their investigation is inspired by such local legends as that of Unshockable Hans, visited by witches in the form of cats, or of the knight whose son is doomed to hunt forever. Then another girl vanishes, and Pia is plunged into a new and unnerving place, one far away from fairy tales—and perilously close to adulthood.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'd like to nominate The House Next Door: A Ghost Story. It's a ghost story - right in time for Halloween!

Synopsis:
I live next to a haunted house.

I began to suspect something was wrong with the gothic building when its family fled in the middle of the night, the children screaming, the mother crying. They never came back to pack up their furniture.

No family stays long. Animals avoid the place. Once, I thought I saw a woman's silhouette pacing through the upstairs room... but that seems impossible; no one was living there at the time.

A new occupant, Anna, has just moved in. I paid her a visit to warn her about the building. I didn't expect us to become friends, but we did. And now that Marwick House is waking up, she's asked me to stay with her.

I never intended to become involved with the building or its vengeful, dead inhabitant. But now I have to save Anna... before it's too late for the both of us.

message 6: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Tom wrote: "I can't nominate my book on the Craigheads, so I will nominate their sister's book, My Side of the Mountain, because the twins influenced it so much. The 40th anniversary of the Wild & Scenic River..."

Hi Tom, would you be refering to My Side of the Mountain? That book currently has over 54,000 ratings which would make it ineligible based on the group's rules.

You can certainly still nominate something else.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Benjey | 4 comments The lesser-known The Summer of the Falcon is a thinly veiled fictional account of the Craigheads' lives at their father’s birthplace, what the twins called their "ancestral home" at Craighead Station, PA. Told in the first person by "June," the book tells the story of the Craighead family in the mid-1930s from the viewpoint of a teenage girl who was given a sparrow hawk by her older twin brothers who trained hawks for falconry. In the book, she named the bird Xander. In real life, it was Bad Boy.

This bird sheds light on how Jean and her brothers became the people they were as adults. It also shows Jean’s love for the place she spent her growing-up summers. A group of concerned citizens acquired the house along the Yellow Breeches and is restoring it for use as an environmental education center. For more information about Craighead House, check out CraigheadHouse.org.

Jeans’ children have allowed Craighead House to reprint a limited number of copies of The Summer of the Falcon as a fundraiser. This special edition includes several photos, including one of the entire family on the cover and a cross-reference of the characters’ names and who they were in real life.

message 8: by Kasi (new)

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) Dlyn wrote: "I'd like to nominate The House Next Door: A Ghost Story. It's a ghost story - right in time for Halloween!

Synopsis:
I live next to a haunted house.

I began to suspect something w..."

I'd like to second this one!

message 9: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 22 comments I nominate Riven by Jerry B. Jenkins

message 11: by Kristin B. (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:46PM) (new)

message 13: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Closing this thread. I will post a new Nom thread for November and pols for October shortly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.