Smashwords Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > World-building by multiple authors

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hello all. I'm currently reading a steampunk thriller Black Mercury, which is fairly standard fare as steampunk goes, but is set in a world that has been developed through collaboration with other writers. I thought it was rather a neat idea. It seems that the authors worked together on the world-building, then went away and wrote their own novels set in this world.

Has anyone ever been involved in something like this? Would anyone like to be? It could be an interesting way to bring genre writers together.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1397 comments Interesting idea. Could potentially work well for bringing people together so they can help each other with their weak points when it comes to creating worlds.

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 8 comments It does sound interesting, but the question is, how do readers treat cannon when they read different authors in the universe. If you and I are writing books in that universe at the same time, are we going to get 1-starred to death if a reader reads both our books and we happen to create a minor rule that conflicts with each other?

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments I have her book in the Thieves bundle (didn't have time to read it yet), want me to ask her how she did it?
I think it's like Kindle Worlds, where writers write in the universes of Joe Konrath or Barry Eisler (naming names at random, here, I'm sure Joe is/was in Kindle Worlds, not sure about Barry) - or the media books in TV universes. I don't think the readers care who writes a Star Trek or Men in Black book, as long as the rules are clear and canon. So it would need a "bible" for the shared world for all authors involved.

message 5: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments J.J. wrote: "...are we going to get 1-starred to death if a reader reads both our books and we happen to create a minor rule that conflicts with each other?"

That can happen with any series. I got very annoyed with Eoin Colfer's Hitch-Hiker's book for that very reason. Though in my mind they weren't minor flaws.

message 6: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (last edited Aug 06, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Barbara wrote: "...I don't think the readers care who writes a Star Trek or Men in Black book, as long as the rules are clear and canon. So it would need a "bible" for the shared world for all authors involved."

Yes, I assumed the shared 'bible' bit. The one I have for my 'Hollow Moon' series is starting to look like a sci-fi Silmarillion. Kindle Worlds looked interesting, but the copyright issues didn't appeal.

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments J.J. wrote: "It does sound interesting, but the question is, how do readers treat cannon when they read different authors in the universe. If you and I are writing books in that universe at the same time, are w..."

Presumably, the authors would read each other's work (could get very time consuming if a lot of authors are involved), and there'd be conversation (Skype room, FB chat group, or whatever) where people double check things as they're writing. Still bound to happen, but if everyone involved took care, it would be pretty minor.

message 8: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments I have - RPG wise and I write for a shared world. It's largely created by writers can add in or interpret if the owner agrees.

message 9: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments A.L. wrote: "I have - RPG wise and I write for a shared world. It's largely created by writers can add in or interpret if the owner agrees."

Shared world? Tell me more...

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Just wanted to let you all know that BundleRabbit has launched the feature for shared worlds... https://bundlerabbit.com/home/worlds
in case you want to try it! :)

message 11: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments I've gone off the idea. It looks like too much hard work...

message 12: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Sorry, totally missed this.
I write for the Heroes in Hell series - basically famous people from throughout history find themselves in Hell. Nothing works properly, alliances and enmity in the real world is often translated over, but turned on its head.
There are monsters, and weird stuff, but also there are people, lots of people trying to get by in a dark, but rather amusing afterlife.

I've written for shared RPG worlds as well.

message 13: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments A.L. wrote: "...I write for the Heroes in Hell series - basically famous people from throughout history find themselves in Hell..."

I'd not heard of that series. Looks tempting...!

message 14: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Heroes in Hell - published by Perseid Press. I think Lovers in Hell is book 21 or something.

There's a sort of time line but it doesn't matter if you don't read them in order.