Play Book Tag discussion

A Fine Balance
This topic is about A Fine Balance
Archive: Other Books > A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I read this one for Denizen/Denise. I truly love how were finishing off her list together and I cannot think of a lovelier tribute. She and I only had a few talks, the one most important being the last one. But I appreciated her great. The last time we spoke, it was about opportunities for healing, but also making the most of one's life and lot. Maybe for that reason, this was a very fitting book to read. My thoughts are with her and her family, as well as for our community and the way we have formed relationships that touch and matter.

I loved it... right up until the last 75 pages. And then I was disappointed. You guys know I don't like to offer anything close to spoilers. Lets just say I didn't have an ending in mind, but this wasn't it. It left me with an unusual taste. Funny that I imagine not one of you who have loved this incredible beautiful book will agree with me.

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments I’m glad you liked it. It’s been a long time since I read it, and I don’t remember specifics about the ending, but I do remember liking the whole thing.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments It was a 4-star read for me as well. I read it fourteen years ago (before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads) and wasn't writing detailed reviews back then, so my notes are sparse.

Idit | 1028 comments It was a 4 Star for me as well. I read it also probably around 13-15 years ago...
The ending is still very vivid in my mind, and I think of it from time to time

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am limiting my cultural challenge to nonfiction but if I make an exception to that rule, it will be for this book!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8519 comments Nicole, I have loved your cultural challenge. I think I’ve visited 15 separate countries this year. I have loved this world tour.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Amy wrote: "Nicole, I have loved your cultural challenge. I think I’ve visited 15 separate countries this year. I have loved this world tour."

I am glad you are enjoying it! Perhaps I set too narrow of guidelines for myself by limiting my reads to nonfiction, especially when I have read several fiction books that provided substantial insight into the history of other countries.

Oh well! Too late now. Maybe I will modify the challenge slightly for next year.