Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 6th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 3:
- A book featuring an elderly character
- A book about reading, books or an author/writer
- A book set in a school or university

Bottom:
- A book published in a year important to you (i.e. graduation, child birth, marriage anniversary, etc.)
- A book about natural resources (fiction or non-fiction)
- A book form you don't usually read (i.e. graphic novel, ebook, poetry, audiobook, Manga, etc)
- A play that won either the Pulitzer for Drama or the Tony for Best (non-musical) Play

Close Call:
- A book with monsters or a "monstrous" character

Polarizing:
- A book in which faith/religion plays an integral role in the plot or the life of a main character.
- A book related to Arthurian legend
- A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

Total number of votes: 128

The seventh round of suggestions will open tomorrow, August 2, at 7:00pm EST.

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6926 comments Mod
I was way off on the top choices! Only one of my tops ended up on the winning list... the rest were close calls, polarizing, or not on the list at all. My bottoms mostly all ended up in the bottom, so that's good.

I feel like elderly character has been done so many times, but I have a ton of books on my TBR that will fill that prompt, so I'm not too upset about it. Same goes for books about reading.

I am excited for books set in schools. I read a lot of YA, so there's plenty of that that will fill that prompt. If anyone is looking for an adult fiction book, The Broken Girls is centered around an abandoned boarding school, so it would be a good murder mystery/historical fiction/ghost story to fill that prompt.

I'm sad about the monstrous character, but it was a close call, so hopefully it comes back around. As for the polarizing, I'm not too surprised, based on the discussion we've been having. As much as the list intrigues me, there are still only 150ish books to choose from, so it is limiting for all of those people who say they hate list prompts.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments My votes are in everywhere, my 4 top, one is a top, one is a bottom and one is a close call (I really think the monstrous character has potential in many kind of books).

I really liked the suggestion "A book published in a year important to you". Maybe it was too open, but I thought that the discussion could be interesting.

My 4 bottom are also everywhere! One is a top (I am not excited about the elderly character), one is a bottom (A book form you don't usually read), and one is a polarizing.

message 4: by dalex (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1677 comments My tops were either polarizing, close call, or not on the list. But the Top Three were at least ones I felt middle-of-the-road about. They're doable but not very interesting (imo). I sure hope some of the prompts that didn't make it this time come back around again.

I wish everyone who wanted the elderly character prompt had voted for it in Round 4 with the prompt "A book with a rare kind of hero - an old character, a transgender, a very tall girl, an ugly hero, someone with physical disability, etc." That prompt was far more interesting and open to possibilities.

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Also way off this week. My top 4 are a close call, two bottoms and one isn't on this list at all.

My bottom 4 were 2 polarizing, one bottom and one not on this list.

I don't currently have anything to fill these three winning prompts but they shouldn't be difficult to fill.

message 6: by Rachelnyc (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Two of my tops were polarizing, one was a close call and the fourth wasn't on either list so I was way off from the group. The ones that made it in were in the middle for me though and I doubt I'll have a hard time finding something for each.

On a positive note, my reject list is filling up nicely!

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments I’m also all over the place. All of the tops were middle of the road for me, though the more I thought about the elderly character prompt post-vote, the more I actually wanted that one to win. The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo and a man called Ove are high up on my tbr so they’d be perfect for this prompt. The other two are fine by me, not very original but I’m sure I’ll find something interesting to fill them.

Two of my other tops, the faith based and Arthurian legend, ended up in the polarizing list. Though going through the Arthurian list, I’m kinda glad it didn’t win as the choices were quite limited and uninteresting to me.

My bottoms however did seem to end up in the bottom.

I am surprised that the false identity didn’t end up in the polarizing or close call list. It was one of my tops and I thought it was quite interesting

message 8: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments We have three more prompts! Three new topics to find books for! I love this part of the challenge. <3 The GR newsletter yesterday announced a new book by an author whose writing I find hilarious and it fits the Shakespeare prompt (The Shakespeare Requirement), how exciting is that?!? And this morning I made myself stop adding books for the elderly character prompt after I had put 11 titles from my TBR on the list (don't worry, I'm sure I'll end up adding more this afternoon). And I take it as a real challenge to find a book I'll like for a topic I don't like, but so far there hasn't been anything I really dread for 2019. It's great the way we get just a few prompts at a time so there's plenty of time to explore each one. Have fun, everyone!

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments I’m ok with the 3 Tops, although I prefer the Polarizing topics! The 2 most obvious books to me, besides the Harry Potter series, for the school/university setting are A Separate Peace and Old School. Both are good reads! Lucky Jim will probably be my choice. Curious to see other choices, especially ones that are not contemporary YA.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 403 comments None of my top 4 ended up in the top 3. I wasn't really sure what I would want to do for a school/university book, but I think I'm going to take it as a chance to read something on the Kent State Shooting. , maybe 67 Shots: Kent State and the End of American Innocence. I went to Kent and have never really read anything on the event so I think it might be interesting.

message 11: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1250 comments Mod
I'm happy with the results, though I'm a bit surprised that more people weren't into the ATY list of lesser known books. Maybe as more people look at it and add their own votes it will gain broader appeal.

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments Jackie wrote: "I'm happy with the results, though I'm a bit surprised that more people weren't into the ATY list of lesser known books. Maybe as more people look at it and add their own votes it will gain broader..."

I don't normally like lists but I voted for it, since it was an interesting list of mostly books I am not familiar with! If nothing else. we all found a few hidden gems!

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1708 comments No tops for me, but I'm not surprised about that. I'm fine with the winners, even if they're kinda ho-hum. I interpret the book prompt to also include author memoirs/bios, which I'd like to try this year. Here's hoping that monsters and year doesn't show up, yet again, on any future poll.

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments Aww, I was rooting for some of the polarizing, but I"m fine with the choices. Am I right that the choices balance out the list overall?

message 15: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I'm still surprised our list is polarizing. I get that people don't like generic lists but I thought this was such a creative idea plus there are some really interesting books on there. Pam, you're right that if nothing else, those of us interested have some great new books for our tbr. I added several.

It's funny how several people mentioned being bored with the same old topics but it seems that's what we are ending up with since all of the more "creative" ideas end up being polarizing! I'm still new enough to doing prompt based challenges that I don't usually mind if it's something that's been done but I feel bad for those who have been around longer and are faced with some of the same prompts as previous years.

message 16: by Zaz (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:26PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments No top for me either, but no difficulty to find something for them. Still, I'm reaching the half thrilling prompts, half boring ones. I'm curious to see how the list will evolve, maybe I won't do a complete challenge for once (which would be ok, after 4 years of 52 RC).

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 3 more prompts down! Looking forward to what is next.

Is it cool to nominate something like "Choose from the polarizing topics" or is that one that will automatically get thrown in?

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Tammy, "A previous suggestion that didn't make the list" is a prompt that was in the pre-poll but wasn't chosen. So that's something you could suggest. It might be more appealing to people to have it only include polarizing prompts. I think the criticism of the "previous suggestion" prompt was that it was so broad that people could make pretty much any book fit.

Sabrina, the fake identity prompt was very close to a close call so was definitely liked by a fair number of members. Just not quite enough to make it on a result list.

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments Thanks Laura for the explanation. I was wondering the same thing since so many of us had favorites in that grouping, in at least one of the polls!

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 911 comments I got one of my top 4 in and one that was in my bottom and three of my bottom 4 were bottoms. One of my tops was polarizing. All three winners will be pretty easy for me to fill
I was going for an elderly person in my Something Old prompt , so may have to change that.

message 21: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1708 comments Pam wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I'm happy with the results, though I'm a bit surprised that more people weren't into the ATY list of lesser known books. Maybe as more people look at it and add their own votes it wi..."

Yes, I'm also disappointed that the ATY list prompt didn't make it. There are some great, altogether different books there. I've already begun a TBR from that list - can't wait to dive into it (in about 5 years lol).

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I'm pleasantly surprised to see the school/university setting made the list! It was one of my top choices (leaning more toward the university side), but I didn't think it would be very popular. I'm fine with the other two top choices as well, but neither were in my top 4. The book about reading, books or authors was my fifth choice though. Elderly character is okay and I have a few on my TBR, but I've done it two years in a row now so I was hoping for something different.

I'm disappointed that monstrous character and false identity didn't make the list. Both were such great character-based prompts, so I'd love to see them come up again.

I think the reason we're finding the "middle of the road" prompts winning might be because votes for the newer/more creative ones are still pretty split. Those prompts tend to become polarizing, while the I guess in a sense more generic ones win because not so many people have a strong opinion against them enough to put them in their Bottom 4. Enough people vote them up, without anyone countering them with a downvote, so their numbers end up higher. In comparison, the newer prompts tend to have more strong opinions on both sides, so the numbers probably balance out...hopefully that makes sense.

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments I agree with your logic Rachel. We do seem to be ending up with the middle-of-the-road (and done it before) prompts. My plan is to read the books I had already selected for the polarizing prompts (like a King Arthur book) and use it for a different prompt (title with a name in it). Bottom line is I still get to read the books I want to read!

message 24: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1306 comments I agree Rachelnyc the discard challenge list is shaping up nicely. So many imaginative prompts are being suggested.

One of my maybes made the list and the rest were polarizing. Hopefully one or two are resubmitted. Sometimes it takes a little time to see the possibilities shine through. 💎 The diamond in the rough.

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I wouldn’t mind seeing a poll of just polarizing topics... I’m sure we have enough to fill up multiple polls.

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz | 499 comments Emily wrote: "I wouldn’t mind seeing a poll of just polarizing topics... I’m sure we have enough to fill up multiple polls."

That's not a bad idea. There have been so many fun ideas. I'm amazed at people's creativity.

message 27: by Chrissy (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Chrissy | 819 comments About the group list: I was thinking of using it as a source for ideas for other prompts if it never gets selected as a prompt of its own. A few people have included notes on the books they added - it would be so great if more people did! For example “recommended for people who like xyz” or “I loved the combination of setting X with plot type Y”...

Also, I think once we reach 15 or 20 polarizing topics, a poll with just those would be fun. ETA: just counted, there have been 15 already!

message 28: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 33 comments Chrissy wrote: "Also, I think once we reach 15 or 20 polarizing topics, a poll with just those would be fun. "

I think that too!

message 29: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Love the idea of a poll of just the polarizing topics!

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Pam wrote: "I agree with your logic Rachel. We do seem to be ending up with the middle-of-the-road (and done it before) prompts. My plan is to read the books I had already selected for the polarizing prompts (..."

I just want to be clear that I don't mean middle-of-the-road in a bad way. Many of those prompts are still a lot of fun, which is why people are still so interested in them. Part of a consideration for me when I'm voting is if it's a prompt that I've done before, but I know there are a lot of new people here so that's obviously not the case for everyone.

Also, if I remember correctly, in the discussion about what people look for in a prompt, there seemed to be a general preference for prompts that were more broad, which may be why some of the ones we have feel a bit too easy. The good thing about this challenge is you can always adapt it to your own tastes, add extra restrictions, etc.

message 31: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments Wow, for the first time this year, I didn't vote for any of the winners!

message 32: by Bec (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

Bec | 765 comments Ok so 2 out of the 3 were in my top. I didn't have elderly character as I did Ove in 2017 and 100 year old man in 2018. I loved Ove, not the 100 year old man so much.

The bottoms had 1 of my top, and the other 3 in my bottom.

I love the idea of a polarizing topic poll too...but I do wonder if we will just end up with all polarizing results.

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve | 500 comments I'm so glad "Year that's important to you" finally fell off the list. I figured it was going to get into a top spot eventually. I'm also surprised the list of obscure ones keeps coming in as polarizing. I'm sad plays were so soundly defeated; I love reading them.

message 34: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments Rachel - I didn’t mean to imply that middle-of the-road was bad either. I actually voted for one of the winners and had considered the other two. I just felt that some of the others were more interesting, even though you could wind up selecting the same book for a different prompt.

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments I voted for one of the winners (sry in a school or university) l, two of my bottom were in the bottom (book for i dont usually read and an award winning play or musical)and one of my top were polarizing (book involvong religion). Like Sabrina, I was surprised that a character with a false identity wasn't anywhere in the list, I really liked that one as well. I think a poll of kust polarizing topics would be fun.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments I love the idea of a poll with the polarising topics too! 😃

message 37: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of a poll with polarising topics. You already know a lot of people won't like what wins no matter what topic will win.

message 38: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1677 comments Tammy wrote: "Is it cool to nominate something like "Choose from the polarizing topics" or is that one that will automatically get thrown in?"

I think this is a fantastic idea! There are some super polarizing topics and they deserve a second chance.

message 39: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1677 comments Jackie wrote: "I'm a bit surprised that more people weren't into the ATY list of lesser known books."

Ten books on the ATY list were already on my TBR List. The thing is, though, those books have been there for quite awhile but I've just never quite been motivated to read them so I don't feel strongly enough about the prompt to vote for it in my top choices.

message 40: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

We had the "A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn’t win but was polarizing or a close-call" prompt this year! Laura, that may be a good update to the pre-poll for next year. Instead of "A previous suggestion that didn't make the list" you could do "A suggestion from the close calls or polarizing list". I probably would have voted for it if it were more defined.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments I love the idea of a poll that just includes polarizing topics! I agree that some people will be disappointed with the winners, but we really all take that chance on every poll, don't we? I would be perfectly happy if mini-poll #7 or 8 was just a list of all the polarizing topics we have had so far. Or we could wait until later on in the list-making process & let people nominate their favorite polarizing topics from the list we have made at that point, which would give more selection.

As for the poll results we got this round, I am all over the board, like many of the rest of you. Out of my top four, one made the top (elderly character), one made the bottom (important-to-you year), one was polarizing (faith/religion), and one was not listed anywhere (LGBTQ+ character).

My bottom four were a little closer, with two in the bottom (natural resources, Pulitzer or Tony for play), one being polarizing (Arthurian legend), and one not listed anywhere (elements from at least two genres).

Overall, I'm fine with the top three. I have lots of books I can read for all three topics, so it won't be hard for me to find something to fill these prompts.

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 02, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Nicole wrote: "I love the idea of a poll that just includes polarizing topics! I agree that some people will be disappointed with the winners, but we really all take that chance on every poll, don't we? I would b..."

I was thinking the same thing about the polarizing poll. Maybe do it later in the polling process, and everyone can nominate their favorite polarizing topics. The first 15 to get nominated and seconded would go on to a poll. That way, we can have a bit more say in which ones get re-nominated... and it could be a fun way to fill some of the topics (like if we have zero author prompts or no genre prompts).

If we don't do the nomination process, we would need to have that polarizing poll soon because we are already at 13 (not counting duplicates).

message 43: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments I love the polarizing vote idea! These do sometimes end up as winners. I think as a nominated choice, topics might appear in a different light and stir different consideration. DO IT :)

message 44: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Lieke wrote: "I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of a poll with polarising topics. You already know a lot of people won't like what wins no matter what topic will win."

I also am not for the idea of a polarizing poll. One, half those who voted, voted against the topics so they strongly disliked the topics. Why intentionally put topics on the list if you know a good number of the members are going to hate them? Also, polarizing topics can be renominated in any poll at any time so do they really need a poll of their own? If you really love a topic and want to see it get another chance, just nominate it next week or in any of the several polls we still have ahead of us. Just my thoughts.

message 45: by Angie (new)

Angie | 761 comments I'm glad to see that the elderly character prompt made it. I'm thinking of The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared for that one.

I'm didn't want the school prompt, because it feels like I've done it a lot. But it'll be easy enough to find something for.

Would Misery could for a book about reading, books or an author/writer?

I like the idea of a poll of polarizing prompts.

message 46: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Lieke wrote: "I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of a poll with polarising topics. You already know a lot of people won't like what wins no matter what topic will win."

I also am not fo..."

Misery would totally count. Stephen King has another one, The Dark Half that is about an author. I think the main character in The Shining took the job at the Overlook hotel to work on his novel.

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 911 comments I agree with Amy, the polarizing topics can be resubmitted in any poll, so I don't see the need for a special poll for them. The ones people really hate will be dropped and polarizing ones will survive to be used again.

message 48: by Perri (new)

Perri | 775 comments It looks like the idea of a polarizing poll is polarizing ;)

message 49: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2479 comments I agree Perry! 😂 I don’t even care at this point. I’m happy to see new ideas.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I agree with Amy too. I don't think a poll of polarizing prompts is necessary, since they can already be re-nominated. Plus, a lot of people have already shown that they are strongly against them. If we do have that poll at all, I think it would be best to have it later on and as others have suggested, have people nominate which prompts to keep in.

« previous 1