Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > August Non Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1992 comments Mod
If you decided to listen to a non-romance, please share what's on your plate this month.

message 2: by Trish (new)

Trish R. I'm listening to a novella by Mark Dawson 1000 Yards (John Milton #0.5) by Mark Dawson and narrated by David Thorpe. Then after that I think I'll listen to Isolated by Matt Rogers Isolated (Jason King, #1) by Matt Rogers and narrated by Roger Wayne. I just finished the 7 book series of The Gray Man by Mark Greaney and the narrated, Jay Snyder, was simply fabulous!

message 3: by L J (new)

L J | 358 comments Listening to some mysteries this month. Police procedurals rather than cozies though what got me into this series was same as cozies, character and setting. Jake Hines series by Elizabeth Gunn. #1 Triple Play hoopla #2 Par Four kindle unlimited #3 Five Card Stud hoopla #4 Six-Pound Walleye hoopla. One of the later ones I have from hoopla was available with audio from ku when I got Par Four but no longer. Thankfully hoopla had it.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4215 comments Mod
I finished listening to The High Season by Judy Blundell and found it fascinating. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman.
The High Season by Judy Blundell Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

message 5: by Samantha (new)

I'm more than halfway through Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner. I like the story but this time around the narrator is not impressing me. I think because everyone has this Texas accent. I couldn't tell the characters apart. Even the main character spoke with the accent at times. Weird since she is from California.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "I'm more than halfway through Into the Black Nowhere by Meg Gardiner. I like the story but this time around the narrator is not impressing me. I think because everyon..."

Interesting...same narrator as the first book?

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Yes, Jonetta. I had to double check. I never had that experience. For example, her boyfriend at one point had a southern twang. He lives in the bay area of California. She corrected it but it threw me. There are alot of characters speaking at once so that may be the reason.

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Sounds like bad editing. Such a shame.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

I know because the story is good.

message 10: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments I just got back from a road trip with my two 13 year olds and we listened to The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan which they loved and I enjoyed. I liked the Percy Jackson series better plot wise but I really like the main characters of Magnus.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Alisa wrote: "I just got back from a road trip with my two 13 year olds and we listened to The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3) by Rick Riordan which they loved and I enjoyed. I liked the Percy Jackson series better plot w..."

How fun (and smart!) to involve the whole family in an audiobook on a road trip!

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman, a really strange but interesting psychological thriller. Here's my review.

I'm now listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara.
Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

message 13: by L J (new)

L J | 358 comments Started Jake Hines series with Triple Play (Jake Hines, #1) by Elizabeth Gunn Triple Play by Elizabeth Gunn. It was a good listen. Triple Play is the first book in the series. There is a short story that may or may not come before it in the timeline but since there's disagreement on that I am going to read in publication order. I'm doing as many as I can as audio. Fortunately I like the narrator's voice because the book is first person and that is a lot of narration in the same voice. These are police procedural mysteries but personalities of characters and setting are done similar to cozies. The crime scenes are graphic. For those who read them, think J.D. Robb in Death series and you'll get the idea.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

In Death similar to a cozy mystery?

message 15: by L J (new)

L J | 358 comments Jonetta wrote: "In Death similar to a cozy mystery?"

The Jake Hines series is similar to in Death when it comes to how graphic they are in describing crime scenes and investigations.
In Death and Jake Hines are also similar in that they focus on character and world building not just who-done-it and that would be where they are similar to cozies. Not all police procedurals do this but I prefer ones that do.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks for clarifying, LJ.

message 17: by Trish (new)

Trish R. L J wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "In Death similar to a cozy mystery?"

The Jake Hines series is similar to in Death when it comes to how graphic they are in describing crime scenes and investigations.
In Death and ..."

I did not know that "cozy mysteries" were full of foul language and sex scenes like the In Death series. I thought they were just clean stories. Learn something new every day, I guess. I was thinking of getting the first book, Naked In Death, but one reviewer on Amazon said there was 6 sex scenes in it. Yeah, I'm okay with sex in my books but I don't need 6. I'll pass.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

I believe there were only three, Trish. But, Eve Dallas freely uses profanity so if that bothers you, you should pass.

message 19: by Trish (last edited Aug 09, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Trish R. Jonetta wrote: "I believe there were only three, Trish. But, Eve Dallas freely uses profanity so if that bothers you, you should pass."

I'm such a potty mouth you wouldn't believe it. I was just saying I didn't know cozy mysteries were like In Death books, if they are I'll have to look into a cozy mystery soon.

Oh, and this is what "Jane" said at the end of her review: "Sexual language: strong. Number of sex scenes: six. Setting: around 2058 New York City. Copyright: 1995. Genre: mystery.

message 20: by L J (last edited Aug 09, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

L J | 358 comments Not everyone defines cozy mystery the same way. My definition of cozy mystery which I posted on What is a cozy Mystery? discussion in Cozy Mystery Corner Group:
"...Tone of the book not the type of detective or setting made them cozy. Gruesome violence, if any, needs to take place offstage and not be described in an overly graphic detail. Sexual violence falls under this rule. Romance yes but no extremely graphic sex scenes. No torture scenes. No children or pets should be harmed. They can be endangered but not damaged physically or emotionally in such a way that they can't make a full recovery. We need to see the personal lives of the main characters and friends in such a way that we are as connected to them as to the who-done-it. There needs to be humor or at least a lightness to offset any grim plot elements. There cannot be constant strife or pettiness among main or continuing characters unless handled with humor and if it is a series it can't go on and on. We need to feel happy, amused or at least satisfied with the ending, never frustrated that a villain got away with heinous behavior. Exception for this if chasing big bad is ongoing story arc in series with each book in series having a mystery that is solved and eventually big bad needs to be caught. Cozy means something offers comfort, warmth, and relaxation and cozy mysteries should do just that.

message 21: by Trish (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Trish R. L J wrote: "Not everyone defines cozy mystery the same way. My definition of cozy mystery which I posted on What is a cozy Mystery? discussion in Cozy Mystery Corner Group:
"...Tone of the book not the type of..."

LOL... Somehow I doubt J.D. Robb writes anything like you've describe. So, I should read a "cozy" when I want something clean and wholesome. That does sound better than an In Death book.

I have looked at a few and they are all written in the first person. Is that how 99.999% of them are written?

message 22: by L J (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

L J | 358 comments Trish wrote: "L J wrote: "Not everyone defines cozy mystery the same way. My definition of cozy mystery which I posted on What is a cozy Mystery? discussion in Cozy Mystery Corner Group:
"...Tone of the book not..."

I read the in Death books. They are more a blend of police procedural and romantic suspense with a dash of futuristic SF. Like the Jake Hanes books they are similar to cozies in that we "see the personal lives of the main characters and friends in such a way that we are as connected to them as to the who-done-it....humor or at least a lightness to offset any grim plot elements."
As for "clean and wholesome" that is something that has come to be expected of cozies in the last few years.
ETA: First person is another trend in cozies so, yes, most of the recent ones seem to be first person. ETA: That person is usually female in a traditional female role such as nurse, housekeeper, stay-at-home mom, etc.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Let’s just be clear. The In Death series is not, nor will ever be, classified as a cozy mystery. LJ has found elements in the series that you also will find in cozies but that’s where the similarities end.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara, a fascinating true crime story that was recently in the news. Here’s my review.
I'll Be Gone in the Dark One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

message 25: by L J (last edited Aug 13, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

L J | 358 comments Jake Hines #2 Par Four by Elizabeth Gunn. I love how non-angsty Jake is. "Unfortunately for my career as a tragic hero, I fell asleep almost at once."
ETA: Finished #3 Five Card Stud.
ETA: Finished #4 Six-Pound Walleye.

message 26: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 15, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

I’m listening to The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen, Rizzoli & Isles #6.
The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6) by Tess Gerritsen

message 27: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 662 comments Started listening to The Lido by Libby Page The Lido by Libby Page. I'm enjoying it so far, hopefully it holds up.

message 28: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 21, 2018 10:50AM) (new)

I finished listening to The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen, Rizzoli and Isles #6, and liked it, didn’t love it. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.
The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6) by Tess Gerritsen Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate, one of the most heart-wrenching stories I’ve ever read. Here’s my review.
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

message 30: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 443 comments Listening to Girls' Night Out by Liz Fenton by Liz Fenton

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Starting Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney Sometimes I Lie

message 32: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 662 comments I finished The Lido by Libby Page The Lido yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's a lighter read, but it had some really touching moments. The friendship between the main characters (Rosemary & Kate) was sweet, I shed a few tears while listening.

Overall it was a winner for me.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman, another heartbreaker. Here’s my review.
The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 6 comments Samantha wrote: "Starting Sometimes I Lie by Alice FeeneySometimes I Lie"

Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Listening to Girls' Night Out by Liz Fenton by Liz Fenton"

I have both these on my list! I'll be waiting to hear what you all think...

August listens: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty Loved it!
Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone This was a good one too! I just downloaded another from Victoria Helen Stone

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.