The Official History Chicks Podcast Book Club discussion

August Book Choice > Peter III

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
Anyone else that is reading Catherine the Great dislike Peter III as much as I do! His childish ways, lack of empathy and the way he treats Catherine are almost too much to read.

Now, I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his upbringing but every time I do that, he pulls another stunt that boggles my mind. 🤨

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 22 comments I agree. What a repugnant person. Catherine was so wise beyond her years at 16, wasn't she?

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (mommytucker) | 157 comments Mod
She really was. I have been very impressed with Catherine thus far. I’m excited to see her grow even more as she enters into the role of empress!

message 4: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Hopping | 6 comments Peter is pretty awful. But I also find him sad as he doesn’t seem able to really connect with anyone on a deep level. (That doesn’t mean I forgive his mistreatment of people & animals). It does seem like most of the info in this book is taken from Catherine and those in her circle so I question if this is a fully fair and complete portrayal of him. My feeling is the major brushstrokes are accurate but they may be some more kinder aspects of him we aren’t getting.

message 5: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Hopping | 6 comments Catherine does seem very wise. But most of the story seems to be coming from her memoirs so ... not especially unbiased. I wish there were more outsider or opposite side perspectives included. It is likely they don’t exist as empresses tend to not allow that kind of thing but I do feel like we aren’t getting a full picture.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 22 comments Maryann wrote: "Catherine does seem very wise. But most of the story seems to be coming from her memoirs so ... not especially unbiased. I wish there were more outsider or opposite side perspectives included. It i..."

Thanks Maryann! I noticed this author also wrote "Peter The Great" and it looks like it was published one year after this one, so that might be worth a look to see how Peter is portrayed!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 22 comments Maryann wrote: "Catherine does seem very wise. But most of the story seems to be coming from her memoirs so ... not especially unbiased. I wish there were more outsider or opposite side perspectives included. It i..."

Hi Maryann, I'm almost halfway through, Peter has just seceded... How far along are you? What do you think of him, and her now?

message 8: by Maryann (new)

Maryann Hopping | 6 comments I’m into Catherine’s reign now. I don’t think my opinion of Peter changed at all during his reign. He did all the things he said he was going to do & was completely oblivious to what others thought of him exactly as he was all along. I don’t see Catherine as having changed any so far either. The author set up who these folks were pretty throughly so none of their early actions in their reigns are at all surprising.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 22 comments Maryann wrote: "I’m into Catherine’s reign now. I don’t think my opinion of Peter changed at all during his reign. He did all the things he said he was going to do & was completely oblivious to what others thought..."
I was shocked at Peter's death. Was not expecting that. I like how Catherine seems to be magnanimous so far, early in her reign (I'm in chapter 48) I might go back to listen to the history chicks Catherine episode again.