Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2018 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
October 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3795 comments Hey--I'm not sure what to do here, since we don't need to nominate or second The Return of the Soldier. It was getting to be such a habit. If finally won--yay!

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Persistence paid off.

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina Kathleen, we can nominate, or at least I will, Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. We owe it to that other persistent group to give the book its due.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Brina wrote: "Kathleen, we can nominate, or at least I will, Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. We owe it to that other persistent group to give the book its due."

One never knows, but I'm not so sure Flatland is an overly popular choice. Going back to January 2017 Flatland has made the poll five times. It has finished in fourth place four times and eleventh place once.

message 6: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm wondering if Flatland and Return of the Soldier were splitting votes too because they've both been around for so long. But you never know.

message 7: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments This might be too America-centric of a selection but I just found a copy at the store last week and I was too curious to pass it up.

I'll nominate The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America.
Written Circa 1220.
The volume I linked to is 128 pgs, but most of that is cultural context. The sagas themselves are only 59 pages.

The two sagas are the Greenland/Graenlendinga Saga and Eirik's Saga. They can be found in other Norse saga compilations too, not just this one.

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments I nominate The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe. Published in 1843 and 24 pages.

message 9: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1507 comments I second Return of... no, wait,.... Flatland.

message 10: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 125 comments Once again... Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo!

message 11: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I came to nominate Flatland. I guess I'll second it. I didn't have much hope that it would win the other times, but since The Return of The Soldier won, everything is possible.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Bárbara wrote: "Once again... Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo!"

I second this.

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'd like to nominate Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline I'll add my perpetual second of Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. Sooner or later it's bound to win.

message 15: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I'll try nominating Rip Van Winkle again

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments BAM wrote: "I'll try nominating Rip Van Winkle again"

And I will second this again :)

Shirley (stampartiste) | 719 comments I would like to nominate Night (1958; 120 pages) by Elie Wiesel.

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I second Night by Elie Wiesel.

message 19: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 538 comments I second Night by Elie Weisel.

message 21: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 553 comments Loretta wrote: "I second Night by Elie Wiesel."

Me too!

Shirley (stampartiste) | 719 comments Thank you, Loretta, Dave and Aprilleigh!

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments I'll add a second to Rip Van Winkle.

message 24: by Erica (new)

Erica (thebrokenspine) | 26 comments Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

This book is slightly over the max. page count. It's 158 pgs.

Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1) by C.S. Lewis

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Bob wrote: "Brina wrote: "Kathleen, we can nominate, or at least I will, Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. We owe it to that other persistent group to give the book its due."

One never knows, but I'm no..."

A group of us did Flatland as a buddy read so that may also be why it doesn't do well.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments BAM wrote: "I'll try nominating Rip Van Winkle again"

I will add a second for this.

message 27: by Izunia (new)

Izunia | 32 comments I'll second Chess Story

message 28: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Erica wrote: "Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

This book is slightly over the max. page count. It's 158 pgs.

Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1) by C.S. Lewis"

Erica as good as this book looks it is just too many pages. Please select something else. This would make a great choice for the New School read.

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 08, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Current Status:

I can't believe it's only been four days for nominating and we already have 8 nominations.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott, 1884, 96 pages
Brina - J_Blueflower, Vicki, Leni, Jehona, Tina, Chrissy, (6)

Night by Elie Wiesel, 1958, 120 pages
Shirley - Loretta, Dave, Aprilleigh, (3)

Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving, 1819, 61 pages
BAM - Julie, Angie, Sarah, (3)

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo, 1955, 128 pages
Barbara - Aubrey, George, Bat-Cat, (3)

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 1941, 104 pages
Pink - Izunia, Sue, (2)

The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe, 1843, 24 pages
Marilyn - Michele, (1)

The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America by Unknown, 1220, 128 pages total
Melanti -

The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 1010, 90 pages
Leslie -

message 30: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 137 comments I'll second The Black Cat

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I'll second Chess Story

message 32: by George P. (last edited Aug 04, 2018 09:03PM) (new)

George P. | 537 comments I'll also second Pedro Paramo, which is in the #1 spot on the GR list "Mexican Literature."
I noted that ibooks has it for $2, the Kindle is only in Spanish. I've read a book of Rulfo's (actually) short stories this summer and enjoyed his writing.

message 33: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I second Return of... no, wait,.... Flatland."

I'm at a bit of a loss myself, but Victorian satire is my meat, so I'll second Flatland too.

message 34: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments You didn't count my second for Flatland either.

message 35: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I'll second Pedro Paramo. :-)

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Updated

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina | 104 comments I'm for Flatland.

message 38: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 50 comments I’ll second Flatland too.

message 39: by George P. (new)

George P. | 537 comments Bob wrote: "Current Status:
I can't believe it's only been four days for nominating and we already have 8 nominations...."

I think with the new nominating format, you want to get your nomination in early so it has time to get as many seconds as possible.

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Updated

message 41: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'm torn between Flatland and the chess story. I've read both of them already, but plan to read them again and believe they both offer lots to talk about.

I'll second chess story.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments FLATLAND! YES!

Um, I mean-

I will 2nd Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions -Thanks --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 43: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 765 comments I will second The Black Cat

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 57 comments Leslie wrote: "The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu"

I second The Diary of Lady Murasaki.

message 45: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 14, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Current Status:

Four days left for nominating.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott, 1884, 96 pages
Brina - J_Blueflower, Vicki, Leni, Jehona, Tina, Chrissy, Jennifer Lee, (7)

Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving, 1819, 61 pages
BAM - Julie, Angie, Sarah, Tina, Jerome, (5)

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 1941, 104 pages
Pink - Izunia, Sue, Petrichor, Katy, (4)

Night by Elie Wiesel, 1958, 120 pages
Shirley - Loretta, Dave, Aprilleigh, (3)

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo, 1955, 128 pages
Barbara - Aubrey, George, Bat-Cat, (3)

----------------------
The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe, 1843, 24 pages
Marilyn - Michele, Candi, (2)

The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 1010, 90 pages
Leslie - Susan (1)

The Vinland Sagas: The Norse Discovery of America by Unknown, 1220, 128 pages total
Melanti -

message 46: by Tina (new)

Tina | 18 comments Hi! 2nd for good ol'Rip Van Winkle

*I'm biased. I work at Washington Irving's House :) *

message 47: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Updated 1-1/2 days left

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9430 comments Mod
I'll second Chess Story

message 49: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 14, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Updated through #50

message 50: by Jerome (new)

Jerome (tnjed01) | 55 comments I'll second Rip Van Winkle to take advantage of the inside scoop!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.