Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Cold Comfort Farm - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments This thread is for background information and general discussion of our August 2018 New School Group Read selection, Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread.

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Who all will be joining in on this one?

I don't always like books that are meant to be humorous but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'll probably start in a week or so.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments I've just started it, and it is funny. It's sort of like The Importance of Being Earnest meets Barbara Pym. The humor is somewhere between the two. :-) It's not as funny as Wilde, but there's more story there. Her descriptions of the farm are fantastic.

I think this will be a quick read. Hope you enjoy it, Melanti, and hope to see other people reading too!

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments I got it from the library yesterday (along with Giovanni's Room from last month), so I'm in.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 130 comments I’ll be starting this one within the week!

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments I read this a couple of years ago on Kindle and loved it so much that I bought the Folio Society edition (with Quentin Blake illustrations!), which I have been just itching to read, so will start v.soon...!

message 7: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'm planning on reading it at the end of the month! I'm hoping it'll be a good start-of-the-school-year book :)

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments I'm planning on starting this one withing the next few days. Looking forward to it!

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 3 comments This will be my 1st group read in some time and I'm looking forward to seeing what others think about it. I started it this past weekend and am about 1/3 of the way done.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I know it’s now late in the month but I’ve been busy reading a whopper of a book & now have my copy of Cold Comfort & nearly ready to start so hope to be adding to the discussions v soon.

message 11: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments I finished this last night - a re-read of a fave
I think it's possible to enjoy it without knowing historical context/satirical targets etc
to me it's just a classic "Odd Couple" setup
with Flora vs entire Starkadder clan