Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > October 2018 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments October 2018 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments I'ld like to nominate The secret history by Donna Tartt.

message 3: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'd like to nominate Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières, published in 1994

message 4: by Carlo (new)

Carlo | 206 comments I would like to nominate The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye.

It's a historical adventure/love story set in India at the time the mutiny.

message 5: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1508 comments I would like to nominate Don DeLillo's novel White Noise (1984, 320 pages).

It is on the 1001-list of books you should read. A Danish newspaper is running a series where authors talk about important books, and one said (my translation):

I love Don DeLillo's novel 'White noise'. It was written back in 1984, but, like several others of his novels, it predicts the revolving idiot of the future - the one we are in now, where even sensible people insist on their own truths, while rejecting counter-arguments from people who are not of the same sex or have the same skin color, sexuality, ethnic background or political conviction as themselves.

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I nominate The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (pub 1915, 375 pp).

Shirley (stampartiste) | 722 comments I would like to nominate Cry, the Beloved Country (1948) by Alan Paton. It is set in South Africa during the period leading up to apartheid. The hardcover has 316 pages.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I would like to nominate Don DeLillo's novel White Noise (1984, 320 pages).

It is on the 1001-list of books you should read. A Danish newspaper is running a series whe..."

I'll second this.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Chaitra wrote: "I'll second the voyage out by Virginia Woolf"

Thanks Chaitra :)

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Callicutt J_BlueFlower wrote: "I would like to nominate Don DeLillo's novel White Noise (1984, 320 pages).

It is on the 1001-list of books you should read. A Danish newspaper is running a series whe..."

I'll second White Noise as well.

message 11: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked | 803 comments I'll nominate 2001: A Space Odyssey

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 130 comments I'll nominate A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments Nathalie wrote: "I'ld like to nominate The secret history by Donna Tartt."

I will 2nd The Secret History by Donna Tartt ! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3798 comments Wow. I want to read many of these, but I'm going to nominate Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar, 1951, 347 pgs.

message 15: by Dave (new)

Dave Holmes (adh3) | 540 comments I second Memoirs of Hadrian.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3798 comments Dave wrote: "I second Memoirs of Hadrian."

Hi, Dave--thanks!

message 18: by Brina (new)

Brina I'll second The Voyage Out but lots of good choices again :)

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3176 comments I'd like to nominate Hatchet by Gary Paulsen originally published in 1986. 186 pages

message 21: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (pub 1915, 375 pp)."

I'll second it.

message 22: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 553 comments I'll nominate The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman again since it did so well in last month's poll.

message 23: by Darren (new)

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Jehona wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (pub 1915, 375 pp)."

I'll second it."

Brina wrote: "I'll second The Voyage Out but lots of good choices again :)"

Thanks Jehona and Brina :)

Shirley (stampartiste) | 722 comments Alissa wrote: "I second Cry, the Beloved Country"

Thank you, Alissa!

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments So many good nominations! I will second The Complete Maus. It's a terrific book, and I've been interesting in reading it again.

message 27: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Leslie wrote: "Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather"

I will second Shadows on the Rock :)

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Kathleen wrote: "Wow. I want to read many of these, but I'm going to nominate Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar, 1951, 347 pgs."

I second this.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ll second The Voyage Out.

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3798 comments Vicki wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Wow. I want to read many of these, but I'm going to nominate Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar, 1951, 347 pgs."

I second this."

Oh boy. Thanks Vicki!

message 31: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Pam wrote: "I’ll second The Voyage Out."

Thanks Pam :)

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "I'll nominate The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman again since it did so well in last month's poll."

I 2nd this :)

message 33: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Leslie wrote: "Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather"

Third please!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Leslie wrote: "Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather"

I second this.

message 35: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 125 comments Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "I would like to nominate Cry, the Beloved Country (1948) by Alan Paton. It is set in South Africa during the period leading up to apartheid. The hardcover has 316 pages."

Seconding :)

message 36: by Cath (new)

message 37: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "I'll nominate A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute."

I second

message 38: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 25 comments Seconding The Complete Maus.

message 39: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Chanelle wrote: "oooo ive never read it omg ..."

Chanelle, did you want to second that nomination?

message 40: by Melanti (last edited Aug 05, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Here's what we have nominated and seconded so far:

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke, 1968, 297 pages - BAM
1 Seconds: Michelle

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman, 1986, 296 pages - Aprilleigh
4 Seconds: Darren, Angie, Julie, CluckingBell

Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières, 1994, 437 pages - Francisca
2 Seconds: George, Leni

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton, 1948, 316 pages - Shirley (stampartiste)
2 Seconds: Alissa, Bárbara

The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye, 1978, 958 pages - Carlo

Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar, 1951, 347 pages - Kathleen
3 Seconds: Dave, Vicki, Cath

The Secret History by Donna Tartt, 1992, 559 pages - Nathalie
2 Seconds: Jennifer Lynn, Matt

Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather, 1931, 229 pages -Leslie
3 Seconds: Candi, Loretta, Sarah

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute, 1950, 359 pages- Kimberly
1 Seconds: Bob

The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf, 1915, 375 pages - Aubrey
5 Seconds: Chaitra, Brina, Jehona, Pam, Sue

White Noise by Don DeLillo,1984, 320 pages - J_BlueFlower
2 Seconds: Pink, Tim

message 41: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 818 comments I’ll second The Secret History

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 137 comments I'll second 2001: A Space Odyssey

message 43: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3176 comments Since my nomination for Hatchet is going nowhere, I'll withdraw it and second The Voyage Out even though I read it recently. I loved it so much and want to see what others think of it.

message 44: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Sue wrote: "Since my nomination for Hatchet is going nowhere, I'll withdraw it and second The Voyage Out even though I read it recently. I loved it so much and want to see what other..."

Thanks Sue :)

message 45: by George P. (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:45PM) (new)

George P. | 537 comments I'll second Corelli's Mandolin.
I'd also like to read The Complete Maus and Memoirs of Hadrian- they're getting ample seconds already however. Cry the Beloved Country is a good one, as is A Town Like Alice, which I just finished- it's a story-lover's story. The Secret History I didn't like very much.

message 46: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments I am torn here, but I'll second Corelli's Mandolin since I've wanted to read that all year but just can't seem to get around to it!

message 47: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Updated

message 48: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I'll second The Far Pavilions. :-)

message 49: by Solange (new)

Solange | 54 comments I'll second A Town Like Alice.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 441 comments I'll second Secret History

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.