Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia
This topic is about Divided Minds
2018 Group Reads - MH Nonfiction > August nonfiction - Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 364 comments Mod
In August our nonfiction topic is schizophrenia. I have chosen Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia by Pamela Spiro Wagner.
Divided Minds Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia by Pamela Spiro Wagner

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.

Blurb:
"Growing up in the fifties, Carolyn Spiro was always in the shadow of her more intellectually dominant and social outgoing twin, Pamela. But as the twins approached adolescence, Pamela began to succumb to schizophrenia, hearing disembodied voices and eventually suffering many breakdowns and hospitalizations.

Divided Minds is a dual memoir of identical twins, one of whom faces a life sentence of schizophrenia, and the other who becomes a psychiatrist, after entering the spotlight that had for so long been focused on her sister. Told in the alternating voices of the sisters, Divided Minds is a heartbreaking account of the far reaches of madness, as well as the depths of ambivalence and love between twins. It is a true and unusually frank story of identical twins with very different identities and wildly different experiences of the world around them."

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments Picked it up today at the library! I've got a few to finish ahead of it, but I'm looking forward to this one.

message 3: by Di (last edited Aug 10, 2018 05:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 364 comments Mod
Don't feel pressured to read this in August! Read it whenever you are ready and have the motivation. The discussions for books stay open indefinitely so if you read it in December, you are still welcome to comment and discuss the book!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments Angell wrote: "That’s good to know! I have a stack that I’m going through right now and I end up reading them in order of when they are due back at the library. I have a tendency to take out too many but there ar..."

This is completely off topic of the book, but I had a friend pick up some hold books for me last week. I deliberately didn't tell him until he was at the library that there was 17 on hold to get.

I had given him my backpack to put the books in, and then added two more bags on the inside. When I texted him he was like "how can I fit them all into your backpack" and I let him know I had hid two other bags in there. hahahahahaha

message 5: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 364 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Angell wrote: "That’s good to know! I have a stack that I’m going through right now and I end up reading them in order of when they are due back at the library. I have a tendency to take out too ma..."

Hahaha. Priceless :D

message 6: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 364 comments Mod
So did anyone read this book before it was due in the library? :D

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 31 comments I read it before I returned it to the lib but technically had it for like 10 days past when it was due at the library (and I had done the max renew of 3x). :D haha

I really appreciated how brave they both are in writing the book. The contrasting sides of the same story was incredible and something that authentic isn't easy to obtain.

Hoping to read the December books with this group. One I've read before and loved, and the other has been on my to-read bookshelf forever. I abruptly started grad school in October (it was a complete surprise that I got in) and have had to pause in my reading, but no class in December means I can read to my little heart's content!

message 8: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 364 comments Mod
Grad school can be quite stressful. Best of luck with time management!